Artillery and high altitude helicopters

Tressa
Warrant Officer

Artillery and high altitude helicopters

Postby Tressa » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:11

This is starting to become a recurring trend in my games. Helicopters being "shot down" by artillery.

And before you say it: No...They weren't landed or hovering just above the ground. Especially with recon choppers I tend to zoom in and make sure they up in the air, as else they are useless for their job (seeing stuff).

I have no problems with a landed or very low flying heli being affected by arty. But those high up, at mountains or hovering over water being arty striked (The last one is my favorite and happened more than once...) is just silly.

Tressa

Edit: Slightly related, the entire "altitude level control" in Wargame is a usability nightmare. It's impossible to tell on a glance which state a helicopter is in. My suggestion would be to change the color of the "Change altitude" button depending on the current height of the heli. As example: Default blue color: Helicopter is in the air. Darker blue: Heli is currently in "hover at ground mode".

orcbuster wrote:Edited title for clarity
Last edited by Tressa on Wed 9 Apr 2014 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tressa's AirLand Map Archive - All W:ALB maps as high-res images.
Guide to the Guides - Consolidated list of W:ALB Resources and Tutorials.

ElTaco
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Ceasar...You got me kidding me...

Postby ElTaco » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:19

Glory unto Caesar

Scolopax
Sergeant Major

Postby Scolopax » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:26

Earlier today, I had an opponent send an artillery barrage of one of my recon choppers. I think, "Does this guy see that the helicopter is at max altitude?" and the next thing I know the thing is spinning around panicked with half its health gone. Happened on a mountain if that matters and there's good chance Caesars were responsible (one opponent had a French deck.)

Hoping it's a bug that arty can do this now to helicopters.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:35

good to know that three games in, large calibre artillery can still shoot down high altitude helicopters.

Niscimble
Sergeant Major

Postby Niscimble » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:36

It's definitely not a bug, but I hate it nonetheless. I hate it because people can almost always do it to me, but I NEVER succeed at doing it to them.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:38

Probably a result of artillery getting a definite buff to their HE impact.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

icehawk308
Major

Postby icehawk308 » Wed 9 Apr 2014 05:54

Tressa wrote:Edit: Slightly related, the entire "altitude level control" in Wargame is a usability nightmare. It's impossible to tell on a glance which state a helicopter is in. My suggestion would be to change the color of the "Change altitude" button depending on the current height of the heli. As example: Default blue color: Helicopter is in the air. Darker blue: Heli is currently in "hover at ground mode".

MEGA +1 :!:

raw
Sergeant Major

Re: Ceasar...You got to be kidding me...

Postby raw » Wed 9 Apr 2014 06:32

Tressa wrote:Edit: Slightly related, the entire "altitude level control" in Wargame is a usability nightmare. It's impossible to tell on a glance which state a helicopter is in. My suggestion would be to change the color of the "Change altitude" button depending on the current height of the heli. As example: Default blue color: Helicopter is in the air. Darker blue: Heli is currently in "hover at ground mode".

The controls are, without doubt, the biggest issue of the entire series. In the heat of the battle the game becomes more about wresting with the interface (or lack thereof) than the war itself. Every little bit that improves the controls goes a long way.

Tressa
Warrant Officer

Postby Tressa » Wed 9 Apr 2014 07:26

raw wrote:The controls are, without doubt, the biggest issue of the entire series. In the heat of the battle the game becomes more about wresting with the interface (or lack thereof) than the war itself. Every little bit that improves the controls goes a long way.

I agree. :!:

My second biggest wish would be something to make handling Radar-AA easier. It becomes increasing stressful when one has more than 1 or 2 units of those. It was always a hassle, but since ALB-days the maps have become larger (meaning more SAMs required that need babysitting) and SEAD has become more widespread. Both of those changes really exacerbate the problem.

Tressa
Tressa's AirLand Map Archive - All W:ALB maps as high-res images.
Guide to the Guides - Consolidated list of W:ALB Resources and Tutorials.

T-80U
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby T-80U » Wed 9 Apr 2014 07:30

Yes, arty should definitely be not able to blow off hovering helis. However about altitude control i use a simple thing, that allows me to avoid mad micro: i hover above forests|bushes, where heli can't hover low. But anyway. an adequate atlitude controls woud be really appreciated.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”