Tank availability tiers

Bryan
General

Tank availability tiers

Postby Bryan » Sat 19 Apr 2014 09:29

With the 1986+ option in the game, the more common tanks of the era should be given availability bonuses tweaked to reflect the current era.
I am USING PRIMARILY THE LEOPARD2 LINE AS AN EXAMPLE. No bias or fanboism involved.

"All is relative"

Enjoy my wonderful Paint skillz.....

Red Dragon essentially added on to the WAB tier of tanks giving it a very early 1980s impression even in a 1986+ deck or lobby.
The WAB tier
Spoiler : :

The "top dogs" of WAB being the Leopard2A4, M1A1, Challenger 1 Mk.2 and the T-80U.
Followed subsequently by their predecessors.

By 1986-1991, these tanks have long been in service and have taken the role of MBTs in their respective armies.

In WAB we have the most common tanks used as "workhorses" being the M1IP, Leopard2A1, Chieftain Mk.10, Challenger 1 Mk.1 and the T-64B, T-80B. This is authentic and accurate representation of the main battle tanks used in that era of the early 1980s.

In Red Dragon.
The effect of an "add on" tier is obvious
Spoiler : :

As you can see, its still the 1985 tiered system is still in place. This is hurting the authenticity of the game as the former "top dogs" are no longer shining in their former WAB glory and yet are as rare as they were.

Along with the addition of advanced ATGMs, AGMs and other tanks, these former "top dogs" are no longer high and mighty, 4 availability is NOTHING, for what they can bring to the table.

In order to rectify this, the Leopard2A4 of Red Dragon has to take on the role of the Leopard2A1 in WAB, being a commonly seen and "workhorse" tank. Whilst the Leopard2A5 now takes the position of the Leopard2A4 in WAB.

Essentially shifting the tier upwards.

In regards to other tanks
How do you balance the 4 Leopard2A5s, 12 Leopard2A4s to Leopard2A1s and Leopard1s?
You can't

With the era restrictions, tanks are allowed to shine in their respective eras, the Leopard2A1 by 1986+ was phased out and upgraded to Leopard2A4 standard, they are obsolete.
They are however still very much a viable choice in pre-1985 decks. As historically speaking, the time where they were first fielded and the time where they were common.

Discussion is welcomed. :D

Ripa' Moramee
Master Sergeant

Re: Tank availability tiers

Postby Ripa' Moramee » Sat 19 Apr 2014 09:53

This might bring back the heavy tank meta. Which might be a good thing.
I live for the flame war

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Sat 19 Apr 2014 10:03

You cant do that since the Leo2A1s arent magicaly upgraded to A4 standards and would be still available. Only option for "authenticy" is if you leave the older tanks out and play with a platoon of A4s only, which is more than enough given the shift towards more deadly AT weapons. Focus on tanks leads only to desaster in RD and i think thats refreshing since they are still very deadly if used right and in limited numbers.
Perlen vor die Säue.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Sat 19 Apr 2014 10:11

Ripa' Moramee wrote:This might bring back the heavy tank meta. Which might be a good thing.

Or not, if you are playing a minor/NSWP/Red Dragons/Scandinavia or basicly any deck with no heavies or low AT capabilities. I don´t know why Bryan writes 10.000 threads about this, Eugen should have seen this idea by now, but they don´t seem to like it, niether do I.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Bluebreaker
Warrant Officer

Postby Bluebreaker » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:16

Bryan wrote:blablabla
I can only agree.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:43

Ripa' Moramee wrote:This might bring back the heavy tank meta. Which might be a good thing.

Don't really think so. These tanks are so expensive few people bring the full set to battle.

CommissarDornez
Warrant Officer

Postby CommissarDornez » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:47

varis wrote:

Don't really think so. These tanks are so expensive few people bring the full set to battle.

Mhm. In a game where airborne AT can rip through your 180 point tanks I still don't think they're going to see a return, currently the game is more based on the use of medium-heavy tanks as if you lose a few it doesn't dent you as much as it could otherwise.
Support the Trabant revolution! Click above for the Glorious Trabant Mod!

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Graphic » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:48

Anything is better than the "no tank meta" we find ourselves in at the moment.
k

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sleksa » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:58

Graphic wrote:

Anything is better than the "no tank meta" we find ourselves in at the moment.

I would say this is more of a problem with players, not tanks. I haven't had a situation yet where I've bought a tank and regretted it. Getting proper amounts of AA at the start of the match and keeping them close to your tanks means the enemy can't touch them with helis and risks bad trades with atgm jets. Any infantry that he drops at the start of the match can be napalmed or bombed out as well.

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Sat 19 Apr 2014 15:59

This is how I thought the era balancing would be done in RD. Basically if you bring old obsolete units to the CAT a fight You will lose or face an extreme challenge because u don't and shouldn't have a large availability advantage.

If u want to fight with the best of <1985 units then fight a CAT B or CAT C battle.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”