Ships vs Tanks

zach5421
Corporal

Ships vs Tanks

Postby zach5421 » Mon 21 Apr 2014 20:34

So I was playing a match yesterday and I was focusing navy with another guy and we were able to get to the other side of the map were there naval reinforcement zone was with out much trouble. And besides that is was hard to get a beachhead with the units holding that zone and I think that part of the match was fair but what got me as unfair/unrealistic was when a German tank (cant remember which one but it was the heavy one worth 170 points) drove down to the shore and fired on my ships while it wasn't able to sink a ship it helped lead to the sinking of my Udaloy . What did all 4 of the ships firing at it do well it was lightly damaged and drove away. While I understand these tanks worth that much aren't suppose to go down easily I don't think they could shrug off that much firepower. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it making the ships guns more powerful could make them unbalanced and decreasing the armor of a tank worth 170 points defeats the purpose for getting that tank. Any thoughts or ideas?

Chronosheep
Sergeant

Re: Ships vs Tanks

Postby Chronosheep » Tue 22 Apr 2014 02:06

Considering that these guns typically don't fire armor piercing rounds, I wouldn't say that it's unrealistic that a heavily armored modern tank doesn't take much damage.
It's not particularly realistic that a tank would inflict much damage on a ship, though.

I suppose the highest caliber ship cannons (120mm or so) should deal a bit more damage against tanks.
A possible solution would be to give these weapons a low AP value and the HEAT trait.

ledarsi
Master Sergeant

Postby ledarsi » Tue 22 Apr 2014 03:03

Manually firing ship guns at tanks is actually highly effective, and you can kill tanks very quickly due to the ship guns' fast aim times and fast projectile speeds.

I would like to see ship guns made into indirect fire weapons which can fire automatically at targets spotted on land, even without line of sight. Manually giving every fire order is fun for like 5 minutes. Clicking things and watching them die is entertaining for a short while. However, it quickly becomes a chore to have to give every fire order manually and it reeks of micromanagement.

Giving ship guns some dispersion would make them less consistent single-volley kills on land targets. And it would also make them more interesting weapons at sea because players would space their ships out to avoid enemy ship guns.

Ship guns are actually very strong, even against tanks. And even against moving tanks with some practice leading the shot by the correct amount. Tip: err on the side of over-leading because ships fire multiple shots at that spot quickly in sequence.

I say make ship guns longer range, with some inaccuracy/dispersion, and for crying out loud let them fire automatically instead of forcing the player to fire every shot manually using "fire position."

yacoub
Warrant Officer

Postby yacoub » Tue 22 Apr 2014 03:15

zach5421 wrote:So I was playing a match yesterday and I was focusing navy with another guy and we were able to get to the other side of the map were there naval reinforcement zone was with out much trouble. And besides that is was hard to get a beachhead with the units holding that zone and I think that part of the match was fair but what got me as unfair/unrealistic was when a German tank (cant remember which one but it was the heavy one worth 170 points) drove down to the shore and fired on my ships while it wasn't able to sink a ship it helped lead to the sinking of my Udaloy . What did all 4 of the ships firing at it do well it was lightly damaged and drove away. While I understand these tanks worth that much aren't suppose to go down easily I don't think they could shrug off that much firepower. I'm not sure how to go about fixing it making the ships guns more powerful could make them unbalanced and decreasing the armor of a tank worth 170 points defeats the purpose for getting that tank. Any thoughts or ideas?

I like it. It keeps ships from being overpowered shoreline crushers. Fear the tanks, keep your ships out in the ocean where they belong. :lol: ;)

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Tue 22 Apr 2014 03:15

RE ship guns not hurt tanks.

The amount of hits they would land on it is like artillery, it will hurt a tank, lol.

RE indirect

Was in the CBT, the ships destroyed litterally everything they fired upon due to only hitting top armour when firing either by "fire here" or on their own accord, like happened with the AVRE back in ALB when it was bugged to indirect fire 100% CTH.

this was considered "op" i suppose.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 22 Apr 2014 03:30

CBT ship guns were realistic. :P

4x 130mm autocannons on the Sovremenny...
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”