The chatroom problem...

Amatiel
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun 26 May 2013 06:57
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Amatiel » Sun 27 Apr 2014 06:20

L2 use mute button

After muting ten people, 90% of all spam, trailer park trash talk and dribble is gone from my chat view

scottslater
Corporal
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon 10 Feb 2014 03:55
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby scottslater » Sun 27 Apr 2014 16:02

I think that everyone that is saying using the mute button or "grow some skin" are missing the point.

You are arguing that we are weak, soft skinned, etc.

We are arguing that for the overall health and growth of the game that the general chat needs to be cleaned up.
Give me Freedom or give me Death.

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 16:35

Lets see how fast they deal with this hate speech in their own forum, a damn sight more quickly i bet. Because i am sick of the chat now it may as well be a meeting ground for the kkk and the nazis its bloody stupid we as customers should not have to put up with this because i doubt the chat is monitered by man or machine i have to put up with people insighting racial hatered a crime last time i checked. Pull your finger out and deal with this.

Tharhof
First Sergeant
Posts: 245
Joined: Sat 2 Mar 2013 02:09
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Tharhof » Sun 27 Apr 2014 16:44

Mot wrote:That's statistics, not an argument to agree or disagree.


ESA statistics from 2012 say that the average game player age is 30, with 37% being aged 36 and older. It's a bit weird that they grouped 18 to 35 together, but that group makes up 31% whereas under 18s make up the remaining 32% - much of the increase in that group (under 18s) was due to the inclusion of mobile games in 2012 compared to the 2011 report.

Mot wrote:And I agree with your point that those who dominate the chat are the most active. There's this thing we call freedom, and in order to keep it we have to endure their nonsense, people have to learn to deal with it, not censor it.


There is a limit to most freedoms, and that isn't the issue that we're bringing up here. People are still free to go to Stormfront or whatever site they frequent and rant there, but Eugen has stated the following re: the in-game chat:

[EUG]MadMat wrote:For those of you still unaware, the social & lobby chat ingame are now moderated:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:LANGUAGE:

Those rules now applies to the social chat and lobby chat.

- Chat content may not contain hateful, racially, ethnically or sexually offensive remarks or images, descriptions or promotions of illegal activities or provide links to sites that contain any of the aforementioned content.
- Nicknames or game names can be invented, inspired by a movie or be your firstname but may not contain hatefull, racially, ethnically or sexually offensive remarks or images.
- Spamming may not be tolerated.


All many of us are asking for is to minimize the risk that the first thing someone sees when they start the game is something like "Each man should have a n*gger in their garage."


Mot wrote:No one said you can't be offended, but what you take as an offense doesn't mean everyone else must and therefore it must be censored.
Also, on the point of misbehaving and spreading hate, you see it like that, I don't, all I see is either some people trying to be funny, or ignorant idiots spewing garbage, which is entertaining either way.

So I stand by my point, learn to deal with it, the world isn't here to make sure you are not offended by whatever you decide its offensive.


It's very easy to not be offended if you aren't the target. If people deal with discrimination daily, the last thing they'd want is to have to "deal with it" when they're trying to enjoy themselves in a game. Again, Eugen's own rules state that the chat is moderated and most people are simply arguing to improve the moderating or reporting mechanisms. Or as an "easy" solution, work towards ensuring that hateful messages are not the first thing a person sees when starting the game.
Image

Mot
Second-Lieutenant
Posts: 955
Joined: Mon 21 Jan 2013 17:00
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Mot » Sun 27 Apr 2014 17:51

The point you miss is that a 25+ year old will probably play 4 to 8 hours a week while a 25- year old can play that in a single day. So I'm sorry if I wasn't specific about what I meant, but active gaming is dominated by young people, and as a matter of fact, most people under 30 are immature and ignorant, a byproduct of our culture who favors mediocrity instead of wisdom.

I'm in favor that measures are taken to at least allow the players to properly manage their chats, but I'm never ever in favor of silencing people just because someone is offended by it. Each player has a mute option to deal with that.
"I suck at Wargame" or "I have to wait 30 minutes to pubstomp people" are not solid arguments to criticize the game... just saying.

kaoz
Master Sergeant
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu 21 Nov 2013 12:06
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby kaoz » Sat 3 May 2014 08:57

-Pointless rant removed.
Last edited by BTR on Sat 3 May 2014 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inflamatory.

User avatar
Hidden Gunman
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 2057
Joined: Fri 6 Apr 2012 07:47
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Hidden Gunman » Sat 3 May 2014 09:09

'Freedom of speech' is just a concept dreamed up by people who want the world to be in their image.

There is no such thing as a 'human right', they are only behavioural patterns imposed by a society at a particular time - a dude drowning in the ocean has no more of a 'right to live' as a bug about to get squashed by someone's shoe.

On a privately owned forum, website or chat line, the rules are those imposed by the owner, and any laws of the country they are under...end of story.
A Firefly killed Wittman...

It's a 17lbr, not a 76.2mm.

User avatar
Vulcan 607
Major-General
Posts: 3911
Joined: Mon 31 Mar 2014 20:40
Location: Malton
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 9 May 2014 14:48

I am condensing the problem into a few words there are ####s on the chat you can put any 4 letter word their I know what word I would use.

User avatar
FirmusPiett
Lieutenant
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun 5 Aug 2012 15:03
Location: A galaxy far, far away...
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby FirmusPiett » Fri 9 May 2014 15:04

So your parents told you swearing is bad... Not our problem.
And seriously, why does it bother people that there are idiots about? Nothing to be surprised about.
Image

User avatar
Lorik Eolmin
First Sergeant
Posts: 220
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013 19:50
Location: Pella, Classic Macedonia, France
Contact:

Re: The chatroom problem...

Postby Lorik Eolmin » Fri 9 May 2014 15:06

Stay tuned, Wargames chatroulette on its way.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 54 guests