Experiences on dedicated servers / other settings

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Experiences on dedicated servers / other settings

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sat 26 Apr 2014 16:26

What are your experiences on dedicated servers? What settings do you like to play?
Actually i really like 5v5 and 6v6. They are very intense and nice to play on bigger maps.
Here is the first part of a little 5v5 replay on floods for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYCBSkPZ42c

Part2 = http://youtu.be/suZO2bPwhJo

bestboy
Staff Sergeant

Re: Experiences on dedicated servers / other settings

Postby bestboy » Sat 26 Apr 2014 17:25

I'd wish for dedicated servers just running at regular match settings on the most popular maps. I basically just want to replace the peer-to-peer games we are used to host ourselves with proper server support. So nothing really fancy.
E.g. conquest mode 4vs4 on Another D-Day in Paradise with 1000 points per player income at start; medium income rate; victory condition 1000 conquest points or 45 mins timelimit.
And to spice things up a bit the same setup once more, but with enabled era restrictions.

That's all I'd actually want dedicated servers for. Because it seems that, except for low point and 10vs10 games, dedicated servers are mostly ignored. 6vs6 and alike always feel weird and clownish.
If they use regular settings for income and victory condition, then the maps seem overburdened. It gets quite obvious that they were not designed to be played with that many players.
If they use non-regular settings for income and victory condition to account for the additional players, then they are no longer appealing to players looking for the game experience they know from the usual 4vs4 matches.

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sat 26 Apr 2014 17:52

But i think 6v6 on a 4v4 map is much better to play than a 10v10 on the map designed for it. 10v10 ist just spam.
I really enjoy 5v5 and 6v6 on bigger maps. Not sure yet if it is ok with medium income or low income.

But the battles are really intense but not "clownish".

Zoring
Warrant Officer

Postby Zoring » Sat 26 Apr 2014 19:17

What are the advantages of dedicated servers in Wargame over random matches?
Want to know how to make 116 redundant units usable? Click to read my thread on Recon Refitting!

integ3r
Lieutenant

Postby integ3r » Sat 26 Apr 2014 19:23

I think 5v5s can be interesting on the larger maps.

In 1v1, each player is really stretched when it comes to properly covering the whole map. Some of that feeling is lost in team games where it sometimes is overly lane focused. But on larger maps, maybe that can be restored somewhat.
"How do into gaem of war? How 2 git gud?":
Spoiler : :

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sat 26 Apr 2014 20:32

Zoring wrote:What are the advantages of dedicated servers in Wargame over random matches?

That you are able to play different settings than in a random lobby. So 5v5 isn't possible in a random lobby.

Bonk
Master Sergeant

Postby Bonk » Sat 26 Apr 2014 20:39

5v5 sounds interesting. all the 4v4 maps are too big for 4v4 . at least for my taste

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sat 26 Apr 2014 20:44

Bonk wrote:5v5 sounds interesting. all the 4v4 maps are too big for 4v4 . at least for my taste

Than try some battles on our 5v5 and 6v6 [DAY] servers 8-)

bestboy
Staff Sergeant

Postby bestboy » Sat 26 Apr 2014 21:24

Zoring wrote:What are the advantages of dedicated servers in Wargame over random matches?

Well there are technical benefits as in
  • dedicated servers have better connection to the internet than players with their cable or DSL. They have lower latencies, more bandwidth and better peering. All those things are essential to provide good pings to a wide variety of players.
  • dedicated servers are specialized to host the game session, are in charge of the world clock all players rely on and are dedicated to coordinate the world updates between the players. In peer-to-peer games these tasks have to be managed by the players and/or the host. Outsourcing these tasks to a dedicated server frees the player's machine up to do what they are meant to do: display the game as smooth as possible.
  • a dedicated server host is more stable and more reliable than a player host. It runs on hardened hard- and software, is located in a data center specifically designed for high availability with managed and redundant infrastructure.
    In contrast to that there are plenty of potential hazards on a player host. I'm just going to name a few profane examples: wifi breakdowns, room mates starting to leech pr0n, power outages, crashes due to software or hardware problems, scheduled connection resets, broken routers and modems, disconnects due to bugs in the game itself, ISP ... the list is endless, but in general home environments are considered unreliable.
But there are also non-technical benefits of dedicated servers. It is not unusual to see regular guests of a nice server to evolve into strongly bound sub communities. That would actually be a great thing for new players.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Sun 27 Apr 2014 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 00:04

@bestboy: So you like dedicated servers or not? :? :mrgreen:

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”