Is a fix planned for the AI?

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Is a fix planned for the AI?

Postby Person012345 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 17:19

Right now, all the AI does is spam until it's low on units, become largely unresponsive and then spam command units at you until it feels like surrendering (I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to give the AI the discretion to surrender in skirmish but it wasn't). Right now it provides neither entertainment nor challenge. Are there plans to tweak its behaviour in future patches or is it working as intendedTM?

duro909
Lieutenant

Re: Is a fix planned for the AI?

Postby duro909 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 18:06

Person012345 wrote:Right now, all the AI does is spam until it's low on units, become largely unresponsive and then spam command units at you until it feels like surrendering (I have no idea who thought it was a good idea to give the AI the discretion to surrender in skirmish but it wasn't). Right now it provides neither entertainment nor challenge. Are there plans to tweak its behaviour in future patches or is it working as intendedTM?

Would be nice but I dont think so
... and Malware-free banner too!

Sev
First Sergeant

Postby Sev » Sun 27 Apr 2014 20:17

it would be cool if the AI actually worked as they first advertised, but alas. Maybe improved AI will be patched in?

twan11
First Sergeant

Postby twan11 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 21:01

I don't think they'd leave it like that, at least I hope not, I'm sure they will fix the AI.

I play a lot of skirmish matches so this would be quite bad
Wargame: Airland Battle deck system...In Red Dragon.

Person012345
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Person012345 » Sun 27 Apr 2014 21:11

Something mentioned in the other thread that got locked is the issue of naval units that I'm a little confused about - I have never seen the AI deploy naval units other than ones they start out with. It smells strongly to me of unfinished naval AI but I'm wondering, does anyone know if they actually do deploy them beyond the preparation phase ever?

philstat
First Sergeant

Postby philstat » Sun 27 Apr 2014 22:07

90% of the time it will not build naval forces, especially if you build them first. Amphibious vehicles often just loiter around in the water with no purpose, other than to be destroyed like a killer tomato. APC's don't do a good job of displacing their infantry, most the time doesn't let them out to fight. AI rushes often, zergling style - very frustrating - you can just setup an ambush and kill them like insects. On the other hand, they turtle and do nothing. AI rarely sends planes on bombing raids or uses anytime of SEAD against AA units. Bridges hurt this game a lot, they need to be wider, easy to see a 4-5 high end units coming across a bridge and just ambush the crap of them, sure this can really happen, though wider bridges would cause the AI to maneuver more during such a scenario. That said, I still enjoy this game a great deal. Just want to see skirmish against the AI be all that it can be.

FregFlogger
Warrant Officer

Postby FregFlogger » Sun 27 Apr 2014 22:29

philstat wrote:90% of the time it will not build naval forces, especially if you build them first. Amphibious vehicles often just loiter around in the water with no purpose, other than to be destroyed like a killer tomato. APC's don't do a good job of displacing their infantry, most the time doesn't let them out to fight. AI rushes often, zergling style - very frustrating - you can just setup an ambush and kill them like insects. On the other hand, they turtle and do nothing. AI rarely sends planes on bombing raids or uses anytime of SEAD against AA units. Bridges hurt this game a lot, they need to be wider, easy to see a 4-5 high end units coming across a bridge and just ambush the crap of them, sure this can really happen, though wider bridges would cause the AI to maneuver more during such a scenario. That said, I still enjoy this game a great deal. Just want to see skirmish against the AI be all that it can be.

Yeah, most of the thing you say are true but i certainly have seen AI use both bombers and ASFs to hit my tanks or to stop my own bombers from reaching their targets.
Also i've seen infantry defending towns on the less bottlenecked maps.
However like you said AI rarely spawn naval units when playing on combined maps.
I've seen glorious hordes of Chonma-Ho getting blocked and slaughtered on bridges because the AI is almost always pushing towards your units.
I would too like to see a less spammy AI that tries to be more tactical and defensive.

silverhaze
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby silverhaze » Mon 28 Apr 2014 00:14

Person012345 wrote:Something mentioned in the other thread that got locked is the issue of naval units that I'm a little confused about - I have never seen the AI deploy naval units other than ones they start out with. It smells strongly to me of unfinished naval AI but I'm wondering, does anyone know if they actually do deploy them beyond the preparation phase ever?

Just try the volcano map, AI annihilate me with ships everytime there.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Mon 28 Apr 2014 00:15

Amphibious vehicles often just loiter around in the water with no purpose, other than to be destroyed like a killer tomato

:|
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

hazardtime
Sergeant First-Class

Postby hazardtime » Mon 28 Apr 2014 00:18

I believe I read somewhere that the reason why the AI are spambots is because that is the only way they can be competitive. It's common knowledge that the AI gets a near infinite number of units and more points than you, even if they're using one of your own decks. If Eugen were to remove that, the AI would get slaughtered, no matter what difficulty you set it on.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”