The Infantry Megathread – Updated, errors fixed!

Mark1157
Sergeant Major

Re: The Infantry Megathread – Weapons, Hard Data, Meta, Anal

Postby Mark1157 » Thu 1 May 2014 22:28

+1 OP

You have done a great service to the community!

I see the discussion now turning toward flame infantry.
To me, the RPO russeles my jimmies when they one shot a full HP Marine squad. Do you think FIST and Flame rockets need a look at?

Personally, I play US Motorized when playing with friends. Even with mediocre Riflemen and Deltas in "somewhat" overpriced Humvees, I can still attack towns because of the insane availability and price of the units. Since I can't take Assault Engineers or Marines, I just spam Deltas until the town is taken and call in Nuke Eagles when all else fails. In essence, I can get 18 Elite Deltas worth 25+10 a pop.

This situation pretty much describes the infantry meta today- spam SF infantry till the job is done.
The Deltas should really have a different loadout, a lower availability, a higher price, and actually be useful without having to spam 6 of them to take a town.
It's also funny that 3 of the 4 past games I've played, the infantry in the towns were either Lil Jan 90', Spetz, or Sapery with RPO.
Spoiler : :
ImageImage

GodofHellfire
Second-Lieutenant

Postby GodofHellfire » Thu 1 May 2014 22:28

MG 3 is god, MG 3 is life, MG 3 will rule all unopposed.
Greta job on topic, mgs do seem meh and this also explains how jägers seem to be so good in block to block fighting
1 2 3 memes ?

Thanks kiheerSEDMAN for the custom profile sig

TAP INTO... THE POWER

goodman528
Sergeant

Postby goodman528 » Thu 1 May 2014 22:42

+ 1

Thank you for all that hard work. I hope the devs take notice and make the meta more balanced.

In the meantime what I took away from all this is: OMG! G11+L.MG3 on the Fallshirmiger '90... ... so OP!

urho
Second-Lieutenant

Postby urho » Thu 1 May 2014 22:47

ShanRevan wrote:
urho wrote:It's called "not being a bigot".
Everytime there's a "nerf spetsnaz" thread, someone writes "use arty, noob!1 lmao!1".
As if you couldn't move the spetsnaz away... :roll: And even if you could, this argument would still apply for all infantry.

You have a Buratino from which no infantry can escape -> No nerf, use a Buratino.

Bloody hell that's a bad post Urho.

It's a bad argument, not a bad post.
The post demonstrates how bad the argument is.

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Thu 1 May 2014 23:13

GodofHellfire wrote:MG 3 is god, MG 3 is life, MG 3 will rule all unopposed.

One MG for the NATO minors in their dark towns
One MG to rule them all, One MG to defeat them
One MG to bring them all and in the darkness beat them
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

admiral9
Lieutenant

Postby admiral9 » Thu 1 May 2014 23:14

urho wrote:
ShanRevan wrote:
urho wrote:It's called "not being a bigot".
Everytime there's a "nerf spetsnaz" thread, someone writes "use arty, noob!1 lmao!1".
As if you couldn't move the spetsnaz away... :roll: And even if you could, this argument would still apply for all infantry.

You have a Buratino from which no infantry can escape -> No nerf, use a Buratino.

Bloody hell that's a bad post Urho.

It's a bad argument, not a bad post.
The post demonstrates how bad the argument is.

If everything inside the post was bad.... Then it was a bad post.

@Shanrevan: Amazing post and after reading it all very well put together, i hope some of the marshalls put this to discussion in the super secret forum so it might get a bit more attention higher up, for now all i can give is my +1 to whatever you suggest.
daywalkerzyx wrote:Elite inf really aren't a problem.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 1 May 2014 23:16

Very nice post. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

I'll just add that I think the overly cost effective reservist infantry and unfair pricing for line infantry are huge problems right now. Your post talks about this, but I just wanted to emphasize.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

urho
Second-Lieutenant

Postby urho » Thu 1 May 2014 23:18

:(
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Thu 1 May 2014 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Pointless

GodofHellfire
Second-Lieutenant

Postby GodofHellfire » Thu 1 May 2014 23:28

Kraxis wrote:
GodofHellfire wrote:MG 3 is god, MG 3 is life, MG 3 will rule all unopposed.

One MG for the NATO minors in their dark towns
One MG to rule them all, One MG to defeat them
One MG to bring them all and in the darkness beat them

Thats the power... of german engineering :twisted:
1 2 3 memes ?

Thanks kiheerSEDMAN for the custom profile sig

TAP INTO... THE POWER

Kilrauko
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Kilrauko » Thu 1 May 2014 23:37

ShanRevan wrote:Honestly, I kind of agree (with Kilrauko). We can talk to the cows come home about what things should be, but ultimately it's up to Eugen to decide what they want. I believe I mention that once or twice in there somewhere. I am pretty confident that this isn't the meta they want however.

Yes you did, my reply was more geared towards people taking the very good OP as some newborn Moses that will lead the flock out of the perils of current meta into promised paradise of better meta. Taking the May day helium inflated hopes and trying to keep people's feet on the ground if you will. We also share confidence that this is not the meta Eugen had planned, I base mine in shallow memory from W:EE times when "combined arms" was term tossed around quite often in balancing threads. That's the reason why I wouldn't hold my breath with cheapo line infantry + 1/5/10 pts transports being the solution, it will solve some of the current meta's instability but as the "aimed" meta being something totally different, it will in worst case just end up being busywork instead building blocks towards the end result.

Ofc some people see it differently, I feel that with weapon fixes/tweaks and then some card availability changes it's possible to move towards situation where in 1 vs 1 the power levels apart from support infantry follow reserv<line<shock<elite, number/card is reversed of that. Furthermore line & shock will come with meaningful transports and in large enough numbers/card to raise them up over SF, that will stay as hybrid recon/combat and cqc spec with max 12 squads. Reservists stay locked to 1 card with good numbers preventing them being any sort of assault force and just doing what they would in real life, hold the enemy advance long enough for some other part of the battalion to clear it.

Some part of the current meta might even be map design in rotations which allows certain towns/hamlets to control middle of the maps & important zones, making them natural meat grinders. If map had open field in the middle with just few hedges and towns only at the flanks still outside the control zones, I doubt we would see nearly as much infantry cqc and meta related to it yet infantry would still have it's role as "take and hold." I however don't have enough games in with rd thus far to make any map calls, but from the past, with this game and others, in competitive pvp games maps tend to be quite important, sometimes determining more of the match then actual unit/weapon balance.

Mark1157 wrote:I see the discussion now turning toward flame infantry.
To me, the RPO russeles my jimmies when they one shot a full HP Marine squad.

Please provide a replay where one shot from single RPO launcher (6HE) manages to kill 15 HP marine squad. Because even with the double damage crit, you're 3 hp short. If you however have actual evidence in form of replay, I'm sure many people here along with Eugen are interested as that would clearly show the weapon is bugged and doing more damage then it's supposed to be. It would also be quick and easy explanation why the current meta favors RPO/Flash. If you cannot find such replay then I hope in future you attempt to make better observations...

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”