Get rid of Fuel

pedro0930
Master Sergeant

Get rid of Fuel

Postby pedro0930 » Sat 3 May 2014 11:10

Suggested before, and I am going to bring it up again.

Let's stop pretending this is a good idea. All fuel do is stifling maneuver and offense in addition to making a handful of units terrible. Range is a complete non-factor if not for the artificial way it is implemented. Most of the 4v4 maps are around 50km across. Most other maps are smaller and if we only count the main combat area that's not covered in mountain and forests in the backfield or just deep sea area, even more so. Units with extremely low autonomy in Wargame (say 200km) can drive across it multiple times with their real listed range. But in-game they run out of fuel going about three quarter of the way using road the whole way. Let's not even talk about combat situation where units go off-road and into forests.

tl;dr It adds nothing good to the game. It's artificial, a non-factor if not for the implementation. Just a all around annoying feature that should be long gone after this many iterations of Wargame.
Last edited by pedro0930 on Sat 3 May 2014 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

the huanglong
Warrant Officer

Re: Get rid of Fuel

Postby the huanglong » Sat 3 May 2014 11:13

pedro0930 wrote:Suggested before, and I am going to bring it up again.

Let's stop pretending this is a good idea. All fuel do is stifling maneuver and offense in addition to making a handful of units terrible. Range is a complete non-factor if not for the artificial way it is implemented. Most of the 4v4 maps are around 50km across. Most other maps are smaller and if we only count the main combat area that's not covered in mountain and forests in the backfield or just deep sea area, even more so. Units with extremely low autonomy in Wargame (say 200km) can drive across it multiple times with their real listed range. But in-game they run out of fuel going about three quarter of the way using road the whole way. Let's not even talk about combat situation where units go off-road and into forests.

tl;dr It adds nothing good to the game. It's artificial, a non-factor if not for the implementation. Just a all around annoying feature that should be long gone after this many iterations of Wargame.

You're assuming the units arrived on the battle field under something else's power. Anyway, I'd rather just see fuel burn at half to two thirds the speed. I find it interesting.

pedro0930
Master Sergeant

Postby pedro0930 » Sat 3 May 2014 11:20

the huanglong wrote:
pedro0930 wrote:Suggested before, and I am going to bring it up again.

You're assuming the units arrived on the battle field under something else's power. Anyway, I'd rather just see fuel burn at half to two thirds the speed. I find it interesting.

Yes, they do, why else would they appear with full tank? Or they get refueled right before entering the map. Does it matter?

Anyways, just another example of why it should be gone.

duro909
Lieutenant

Postby duro909 » Sat 3 May 2014 11:24

and lets remove fuel on planes as well so they can fly above battlefield infinite long :D
... and Malware-free banner too!

pedro0930
Master Sergeant

Postby pedro0930 » Sat 3 May 2014 11:28

duro909 wrote:and lets remove fuel on planes as well so they can fly above battlefield infinite long :D

:roll:

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Sat 3 May 2014 11:30

I don't really consider fuel an interesting mechanic, but I can see the reasons behind it. However there's a threshhold, a certain minimum autonomy for which it stops being a "a vaguely interesting strategic concern" and where it's just tedious because you need to refuel your units halfway to the frontline. A lot of these units are old WW2 junk so they're already terrible and giving them infinite autonomy wouldn't really make them any worse. Not all however are such inherently worthless units, that you might otherwise want to take and that's just agrivating.

Abandoning fuel all together, although it would probably be a minor improvement/little to no change, is unlikely to happen. On the other hand, a marginally more viable option is a minimum autonomy level that isn't worthless. Probably somewhere in the area of 350-450s.

admiral9
Lieutenant

Postby admiral9 » Sat 3 May 2014 11:33

I'n my opinion all autonomy levels should be increased with a:
Red level of autonomy should get a 50% increase
Orange level of autonomy should get a 30% increase
Green level of autonomy should get a 20% increase
And then blue should get a 10% increase.

That would atleast in my opinion promote maneuver warfare more while keeping fuel in the game.
daywalkerzyx wrote:Elite inf really aren't a problem.

Narcissistic Black
Major

Postby Narcissistic Black » Sat 3 May 2014 11:36

I like the fuel System is adds another Weakness. Great example of this is the Abrams Series.
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification, Alpha Released. Try now.

Delicious RBKs
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Delicious RBKs » Sat 3 May 2014 11:38

It is never going to happen. Fuel has been there since EE.

I like a lot of people would like a 'No-supply' mode, but fuel is here to stay. Its not perfect (I think everything on land + helis should get at least a +25% autonomy range increase), but it shouldn't go anywhere; I'm starting to tire of RTSes where units have mystical infinite ammo/fuel.
As Narcissistic just said, it gives otherwise fairly flawless units a notable weakness; imagine how even more redundant most infantry would be if vehicles could zip around the map without ever stopping or refuelling?
MadMat explanation of 90s protos; viewtopic.php?f=155&t=43932&start=40#p542783

Jawehawk
Lieutenant

Postby Jawehawk » Sat 3 May 2014 11:38

I like the fuel system. The only problem I have with it is that the supply trucks have one generic set of supplies, rather than 3 different types. The 3 different types being fuel, ammunition and sticky repair glue. Centurions and the like were notirous for having awful mileage, and that is well reflected on large maps.

Also. All tanks should have their realistic ammunition capactiy.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”