Get rid of Fuel

Falcrack
Lieutenant

Re: Get rid of Fuel

Postby Falcrack » Tue 6 May 2014 15:12

To all those people shouting "no no no, don't change fuel, it's perfect the way it is!", would you be opposed to a lobby option which allows us to globally increase fuel efficiency for all vehicles, with the default option being the current fuel consumption levels?

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Tue 6 May 2014 15:27

Falcrack wrote:To all those people shouting "no no no, don't change fuel, it's perfect the way it is!", would you be opposed to a lobby option which allows us to globally increase fuel efficiency for all vehicles, with the default option being the current fuel consumption levels?

Options are never a bad thing. That said there are a huge number of more important things that need to be resolved atm IMHO.
ImageImage

yacoub
Warrant Officer

Postby yacoub » Tue 6 May 2014 15:57

Delicious RBKs wrote:It is never going to happen. Fuel has been there since EE.

I like a lot of people would like a 'No-supply' mode, but fuel is here to stay. Its not perfect (I think everything on land + helis should get at least a +25% autonomy range increase), but it shouldn't go anywhere; I'm starting to tire of RTSes where units have mystical infinite ammo/fuel.
As Narcissistic just said, it gives otherwise fairly flawless units a notable weakness; imagine how even more redundant most infantry would be if vehicles could zip around the map without ever stopping or refuelling?

Agreed.

yacoub
Warrant Officer

Postby yacoub » Tue 6 May 2014 15:59

Falcrack wrote:To all those people shouting "no no no, don't change fuel, it's perfect the way it is!", would you be opposed to a lobby option which allows us to globally increase fuel efficiency for all vehicles, with the default option being the current fuel consumption levels?

I am always in favor of providing the users with more options, however we all know that most of the servers out there would immediately check the box for unlimited fuel or whatever it will be called so we'd all be forced to play it regardless, which is not in the spirit of the game.

I'd be fine with it being an option for single-player campaign and skirmish matches though, for sure.

feeblezak
Lieutenant

Postby feeblezak » Tue 6 May 2014 16:05

No, learn to manage your logistics, no to a "no supply" game option too.
Give the MiG-19PFM its 5600m Missile back!!
If Someone could tell the drivers of the T-72M1M's and T-72B's to close their hatches, cheers.

Mot
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Mot » Tue 6 May 2014 19:20

Niscimble wrote:
Mot wrote:Ammo is the attack limitation factor.
Supplies both refuel and rearm, therefore in essence they are the same exact logistical aspect of the game.
Therefore if ammo is the primary limitation and if supplies work both ways, the argument that fuel is redundant is pretty much correct, it doesn't matter how much you want to dance around it.

But considering that lack of fuel could create "meta" tactics that are just wrong, fuel shouldn't be removed.
But having units that can't reach the frontline 10km away. Silly and pointless.

Actually, fuel is the primary limitation of attacking. Ammo is the limitation for both attackers and defenders. If you can't get ammo supplies up to your front defensive line, they will die just as easily as attackers who are out of ammo. Defenders with no fuel are in bad position since they can't displace, but aren't stranded out in the open like attackers. Fuel requires the player to make the decision to fast move on exposed roadways, or to drive cross country. It is an additional level of consideration, so I don't want to see it go. I do, however, want to see it changed a bit; Reduced refuel cost, global increase in autonomy, additional supply vehicles, etc.

Sorry but ammo is 99% of the time what runs out first, less for those units with extremely low fuel autonomy, there's really no debate here. Most units can go from one side of the map to the other offroad without needing refueling. I don't even refuel my units, only the most expensive ones or those who for some reason survived a lot more than they usually do and therefore lack fuel.

I wasn't talking about defenders, they surely run out of ammo, but attackers usually have to stop to rearm and repair, not refuel.

I agree completely, I don't want to see fuel go, but at the moment fuel autonomy of some vehicles is ridiculous and adds nothing positive to the game experience, just annoyance. Fuel should be a consideration after a good amount of warfare, not a consideration after fast moving 10km...
"I suck at Wargame" or "I have to wait 30 minutes to pubstomp people" are not solid arguments to criticize the game... just saying.

Hartmann
Lieutenant

Postby Hartmann » Tue 6 May 2014 19:42

He probably plays 10v10.

Magni
Command Sergeant Major

Postby Magni » Tue 6 May 2014 20:42

Don't get rid of it, it's actually a good mechanic imo.

But please decrease fuel use of helos and vehicles by about ~30-50% or get away from the current system of fuel being seconds of movement; together with the larger maps, some of the slower units with low autonomy can't even reach the frontline anymore without running out of fuel and it makes these units next to unusable in extreme cases.

I wouldn't complain if you could get a low-autonomy vehicle at least halfway across the map to your forward "FOB" and take the extra supply use as an additional situational cost of fielding the unit, but the way it is now you have to babysit low-autonomy units to a ridiculous degree for them to get anywhere.

And let's not even start about the AI; I've long since stopped counting the number of Type 74s sitting uselessly on a road without fuel I've murdered throughout my Mt. Narodnaya playthrough.

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Wed 7 May 2014 15:57

Magni wrote:And let's not even start about the AI; I've long since stopped counting the number of Type 74s sitting uselessly on a road without fuel I've murdered throughout my Mt. Narodnaya playthrough.

Heh, yeah that's a pretty ugly thing.
"Oh so all your 60 odd tanks are sitting in a giant blob in the middle of that field? Well, don't worry, they won't bother you much longer, I'll have some Il-102s with you right away."
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

wolfram
Sergeant

Postby wolfram » Wed 7 May 2014 22:22

duro909 wrote:and lets remove fuel on planes as well so they can fly above battlefield infinite long :D

Good for you buddy try to invalidate someone's valid argument by pushing it to an extreme that was never proposed. Your mockery is completely without basis, the bane of intelligent discussion and argument.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”