Longbows

Bryan
General

Longbows

Postby Bryan » Sun 11 May 2014 14:48

Well when I was using the US airborne deck, I found myself giving excuses to use this godforsaken unit.
The AH-64D Longbow.

It misses, alot. And loves to waste missiles on targets. For a whooping 150 points for 16x 2800m Hellfire ATGMs and a cannon it never uses.

Yet every time when I deploy it, it either gets schwacked by Kamikaze jets or the ever too present Tunguska-Ms.

Its 70% accuracy is really meaningless even at hardened, it just misses so much and wastes its missiles. I prefer using AH-64As with Kiowa support or just simply Kiowa Warriors. Despite being Semi Active Laser Homing and SACLOS, they actually hit their targets reliably on the first round, furthermore, they do not waste their very supply hungry Hellfire missiles or get schwacked by Kamikaze jets.

Am I missing something here? Is there anyone with effective tactics and experiences that can enlighten me?
I have been using it to probe but I still find the Warrior and the AH-64A much more effective.

No, Direct Action Penetrator is not an appropriate answer.

Mikeboy
General

Re: Longbows

Postby Mikeboy » Sun 11 May 2014 14:51

It just needs a bit longer reload time on its Hellfires so it doesn't waste half of them.

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 11 May 2014 14:53

Just lol, hellfires miss a lot? Its the most accurate ATGM in the game! Longbow is for quick and dirty heavy killing, whatever you aim it at will die in less than 5 seconds and you need to capitalize on this fact. If you dont often encounter enemy heavy tanks, then yes DAP is an appropriate answer. And for the love of god, dont nerf its ROF or the entire point of the unit is lost.

Bryan
General

Postby Bryan » Sun 11 May 2014 14:55

I really don't get it, all my Longbows miss though, always, the first 2 missiles for me are guaranteed to miss.

My Hellfire As have better luck......

Seraphlord
Master Sergeant

Postby Seraphlord » Sun 11 May 2014 14:56

It would help if you'd upload a replay of one of your games so I can see exactly what you do with your Longbows.

And yeah, I hate to say it but, DAP often is an answer, very underrated unit if the enemy isn't willing to dive your helo with suicide aircraft.

Leyline
Warrant Officer

Postby Leyline » Sun 11 May 2014 14:58

schmuckbait. To lure in kamikaze fighters and whack em with mraam of your own....

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 11 May 2014 14:59

Bryan wrote:I really don't get it, all my Longbows miss though, always, the first 2 missiles for me are guaranteed to miss.

Ehh must be some crappy luck for you, because when I bring out the longbows the field tends to clear itself pretty quicky. It is a very specialized helo, and in 90% of situations its safer and easier to use an apacheA or DAP. But when the red bear comes knocking with a force of t80s, you must give them the D ;)

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Sun 11 May 2014 15:01

Forimar wrote:Just lol, hellfires miss a lot? Its the most accurate ATGM in the game! Longbow is for quick and dirty heavy killing, whatever you aim it at will die in less than 5 seconds and you need to capitalize on this fact. If you dont often encounter enemy heavy tanks, then yes DAP is an appropriate answer. And for the love of god, dont nerf its ROF or the entire point of the unit is lost.

You don´t get it. The AH-64D will fire a missle at it´s target, which will maybe hit and destroy it. Due to beeing F&F though, it will fire at least one other missle at the same target before it reached it, which will certainly miss if the first one hit. This is what makes them waste so much ammo.

Bryan wrote:I really don't get it, all my Longbows miss though, always, the first 2 missiles for me are guaranteed to miss.

I think there is some bug with F&F ATGMs in wargame, I had the same problem with the Tornado IDS in ALB.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Forimar
Captain

Postby Forimar » Sun 11 May 2014 15:04

jonas165 wrote:
Forimar wrote:Just lol, hellfires miss a lot? Its the most accurate ATGM in the game! Longbow is for quick and dirty heavy killing, whatever you aim it at will die in less than 5 seconds and you need to capitalize on this fact. If you dont often encounter enemy heavy tanks, then yes DAP is an appropriate answer. And for the love of god, dont nerf its ROF or the entire point of the unit is lost.

You don´t get it. The AH-64D will fire a missle at it´s target, which will maybe hit and destroy it. Due to beeing F&F though, it will fire at least one other missle at the same target before it reached it, which will certainly miss if the first one hit. This is what makes them waste so much ammo.

YOU dont get it. The ApacheD will fir one hellfire at a t72BU or T80U. Due to it being F&F it will fire again and give out much more damage in the same time period as SA missiles. Best heavy killer in game.

Lord Helmchen
Major-General

Postby Lord Helmchen » Sun 11 May 2014 15:12

Forimar wrote:
jonas165 wrote:

YOU dont get it. The ApacheD will fir one hellfire at a t72BU or T80U. Due to it being F&F it will fire again and give out much more damage in the same time period as SA missiles. Best heavy killer in game.

Nope, you don't get it. Apache fires -> tank dead. Though it fires another missile before the first one hits. So you waste 1 missile per kill.
Solution is extreme microing. A longer reload time would be better though.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”