Longbows

HaryPL
Lieutenant

Re: Longbows

Postby HaryPL » Sun 11 May 2014 22:04

In itself it's epic.
Sadly, only in itself.
70% acc seems nice on paper but as long as it's moving it has only 50% (stabilizers). And as soon as it stops it's dead ( or out of range and need to start moving again lol).

It fills too niche role to be worth anything more than empty appraisal of it's stats in armory, maybe if meta changes in future.. but with such cost and risks, only maybe.

中铁四局
Warrant Officer

Postby 中铁四局 » Sun 11 May 2014 22:35

HaryPL wrote:In itself it's epic.
Sadly, only in itself.
70% acc seems nice on paper but as long as it's moving it has only 50% (stabilizers). And as soon as it stops it's dead ( or out of range and need to start moving again lol).

It fills too niche role to be worth anything more than empty appraisal of it's stats in armory, maybe if meta changes in future.. but with such cost and risks, only maybe.

Longbow doesn't worth anything more than empty appraisal of it's stat in armory?

I honestly think you have a L2P issue.
Dear Eugen, Please give T-72BU its iconic red-eye shtora system back! It looks mean and awesome!

Korochun
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Korochun » Sun 11 May 2014 23:04

Brutoni wrote:woooooaaahhh. How did I miss shift clicking on FOB then again behind your lines allows a queued resupply order..... I assume this works with logs vehicles? Does it work with trucks on Logs helos?

OMG this could significantly reduce my logistics micro. As well as ensure all my AT helos perform significantly better!!

Works with everything.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Sun 11 May 2014 23:27

Bryan wrote:I really don't get it, all my Longbows miss though, always, the first 2 missiles for me are guaranteed to miss.

My Hellfire As have better luck......

Well Bryan, I agree.

It's a great unit, but your paying for the optics, ( a near useless autocannon) , and 16 missiles.
I say auto cannon useless because for the cost it's to risky to even plan to use it, it's more or a desperation weapon sadly. (unlike Apache in EE ;) )

Because RD is so infantry focused, and tank pushing is becoming a dying thing. There isn't usually a time to call out the Longbow. Be better with a kiowa warrior for recon, even still better to get (that black helo with the mini gun and auto cannon) forgot it's name Than use something else for recon. Like a cheaper Kiowa... or navy seal rush.. :( But damned that's what works sadly.

It's all too vulnerable to a 50 point plane (which they will send two and still be a good trade if they lost both) . Also Long bow useless at the start of the match, unless of course your opponent is playing a different game ;).

Because apache longbow can't shoot infantry with those missiles just the landing helicopters you won't do much with it. It's just a way to give them points and waste yours. Only reason to bring it is if you don't have any other ATGM helicopters, and you rely on it as your main stay defense for a tank push. Other than that current RD meta doesn't really make it useful.

HaryPL wrote:In itself it's epic.
Sadly, only in itself.

yup Sadly RD meta really punishes certain unit choice. But in EE this thing would be a god.
Last edited by chykka on Sun 11 May 2014 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Mortabis
Sergeant Major

Postby Mortabis » Sun 11 May 2014 23:33

As mentioned the only problem with the longbow is that for some reason it has worse accuracy on the move. That combined with the huge supply consumption of hellfires makes it frustratingly wasteful. Still a good unit though.

Graphic
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Graphic » Sun 11 May 2014 23:34

Mikeboy wrote:It just needs a bit longer reload time on its Hellfires so it doesn't waste half of them.

No, I like it the way it is. That's the whole point about F&F vs SA: it kills stuff as fast as it possibly can. It might waste missiles on stuff that it kills, but it also sends out follow up shots really fast if a missile misses. With 16 missiles, you can just let it rip without too much worry. If you want to ration the missiles, you could always micro manage it. And if that sounds like too much work, it's worth noting that if your Longbow doesn't have your undivided attention when it's at the front attacking things, you've done something wrong.
k

Saavedra
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Saavedra » Sun 11 May 2014 23:54

The Longbow is one of those units so expensive that not only must you pay full attention to it all the time, but also design your entire strategy around it.

It´s like bringing out a uber tank early game. You know that such a unit can pay off enormously, but it becomes the center of your strategy: you have to select the appropriate AA to defend it, make sure to spot targets for it that it can kill or be killed by, etc...

So no, leaving your Longbow to sit idly a little behind your frontline will probably not work out too well. But due to its nature, it is not so easy deploying it in the frontline like you would a uber tank. The uber tanks can survive ATGMs and other uber tanks just fine, but air units are too fragile. So basically, the Longbow is only useful in very specific circumstances...

FirmusPiett
Lieutenant

Postby FirmusPiett » Sun 11 May 2014 23:55

Gotta go by the stats. Sounds like you've just had bad luck? Quite consistently.

Awesome Cup
Master Sergeant

Postby Awesome Cup » Mon 12 May 2014 00:15

I would actually like the longbow to get an optic buff. I mean it should have better optics than other helos which only have binoculars. Even a 5% extra detection would be enough for me

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Mon 12 May 2014 00:21

Awesome Cup wrote:I would actually like the longbow to get an optic buff. I mean it should have better optics than other helos which only have binoculars. Even a 5% extra detection would be enough for me

What's an extra 5% really going to do though?

The Longbow is fine - take it if you want to micro it, if you don't want to micro it then you can use the Ah-64A.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”