Longbows

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Longbows

Postby JBravo » Sun 11 May 2014 19:42

I've been practicing my AH-64 micro since back in EE. I like to think I've gotten very good at it. With it I can remove a half dozen light units from the field in a matter of seconds then scoot before the AA comes too close. If an enemy heavy shows itself it can dump 3-4 shots into it (without having to wait for the last one to land) to guarantee a kill, and it can tag many cheaper AA systems from 2800m.

That said, it's extremely vulnerable. Even with exceptional optics it can't see long ranged AA systems in heavy cover, it can get dropped by cheap suicide planes as easily as any other expensive helicopter, and MANPADS are it's mortal enemy as it will rarely see them, and even if it does it can't shoot back (cannon doesn't count).

Personally it's my favorite unit in the game, and COMThing's olive drab skin makes me love it even more.

Kolovrat
Lieutenant

Postby Kolovrat » Sun 11 May 2014 19:45

I found the proper use for Longbow in destruction match: when things are quiet, you just use that mighty thing to lure enemy fighters. 160 pts helicopter is too sweet a prey. So, show it, then fall back to your freaking imba-stingers and barraging fighters, then count free points.

Otherwise it's freaking awesome, but just too expensive, in spite if its tremedous power and costeffectiveness.

Korochun
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Korochun » Sun 11 May 2014 20:47

Longbow is bad?

I'll be sure to let my Longbow pilots know that. They've been tearing up tank formations left and right recently, maybe they should pipe it down a notch or two.

P.S. Just let it do its thing, if you aren't into microing it. When it runs out of ammo, hold SHIFT, click on the nearest FOB, keep holding SHIFT, click somewhere behind your lines but close enough for a 10-second callin.

Problem solved.

guguku
Warrant Officer

Postby guguku » Sun 11 May 2014 20:50

Bryan wrote:Well when I was using the US airborne deck, I found myself giving excuses to use this godforsaken unit.
The AH-64D Longbow.

It misses, alot. And loves to waste missiles on targets. For a whooping 150 points for 16x 2800m Hellfire ATGMs and a cannon it never uses.

Yet every time when I deploy it, it either gets schwacked by Kamikaze jets or the ever too present Tunguska-Ms.

Its 70% accuracy is really meaningless even at hardened, it just misses so much and wastes its missiles. I prefer using AH-64As with Kiowa support or just simply Kiowa Warriors. Despite being Semi Active Laser Homing and SACLOS, they actually hit their targets reliably on the first round, furthermore, they do not waste their very supply hungry Hellfire missiles or get schwacked by Kamikaze jets.

Am I missing something here? Is there anyone with effective tactics and experiences that can enlighten me?
I have been using it to probe but I still find the Warrior and the AH-64A much more effective.

No, Direct Action Penetrator is not an appropriate answer.

is ur problem that it fires a missile before the first has hit????

thats mine

中铁四局
Warrant Officer

Postby 中铁四局 » Sun 11 May 2014 21:51

You sir are complaining a fast fire with 16 F&F 70% accuracy missile carrier are being bad?

You can fire 3 missiles at one heavy tank and it's guaranteed gone, meanwhile all the other helos can only fire 1 at a time.

And this thing only costs you 150pts with a exceptional recon trait......................

If Longbow is bad? WTF you want?
Dear Eugen, Please give T-72BU its iconic red-eye shtora system back! It looks mean and awesome!

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Sun 11 May 2014 21:52

中铁四局 wrote:You sir are complaining a fast fire with 16 F&F 70% accuracy missile carrier are being bad?

You can fire 3 missiles at one heavy tank and it's guaranteed gone, meanwhile all the other helos can only fire 1 at a time.

And this thing only costs you 150pts with a exceptional recon trait......................

If Longbow is bad? WTF you want?

I don't think he ever said it was bad. I think he said he was having bad luck with them and wanted to know how to use them more effectively.

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Sun 11 May 2014 21:56

Korochun wrote:Longbow is bad?

I'll be sure to let my Longbow pilots know that. They've been tearing up tank formations left and right recently, maybe they should pipe it down a notch or two.

P.S. Just let it do its thing, if you aren't into microing it. When it runs out of ammo, hold SHIFT, click on the nearest FOB, keep holding SHIFT, click somewhere behind your lines but close enough for a 10-second callin.

Problem solved.

woooooaaahhh. How did I miss shift clicking on FOB then again behind your lines allows a queued resupply order..... I assume this works with logs vehicles? Does it work with trucks on Logs helos?

OMG this could significantly reduce my logistics micro. As well as ensure all my AT helos perform significantly better!!

EDIT:

On topic. Longbow is hoofing... Epic piece of kit. High risk high reward without micro. With micro becomes low risk very high reward.
ImageImage

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Sun 11 May 2014 22:00

Brutoni wrote:
Korochun wrote:Longbow is bad?

Problem solved.

woooooaaahhh. How did I miss shift clicking on FOB then again behind your lines allows a queued resupply order..... I assume this works with logs vehicles? Does it work with trucks on Logs helos?

OMG this could significantly reduce my logistics micro. As well as ensure all my AT helos perform significantly better!!

EDIT:

On topic. Longbow is hoofing... Epic piece of kit. High risk high reward without micro. With micro becomes low risk very high reward.

Yeah it works with trucks too. What I do is this:

hold shift ... fastmove click near FOB ... right click on FOB ... fastmove back to front ... release shift

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Sun 11 May 2014 22:03

Can't believe I haven't picked this up. This is easily the most important thing I have viewed on forums for me personally in a long time.
ImageImage

中铁四局
Warrant Officer

Postby 中铁四局 » Sun 11 May 2014 22:04

JBravo wrote:I don't think he ever said it was bad. I think he said he was having bad luck with them and wanted to know how to use them more effectively.

Clc.

if heavy tank;

let it unleash all its missile on a heavy-tank.

results:
No more heavy tank.

If no heavy tank;

Turn off missile after firing one.

problem solved.
Dear Eugen, Please give T-72BU its iconic red-eye shtora system back! It looks mean and awesome!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”