BLUFOR/REDFOR win ratio ...

Gneckes
Warrant Officer

Re: BLUFOR/REDFOR win ratio ...

Postby Gneckes » Mon 19 May 2014 21:08

Indeed. Thanks for the Explanation Random, makes a lot of sense.
Misfit wrote:I figured life is too short for that.

Then don't make condescending posts?
Common sense shall thus be referred to as rare sense.

MENTORImage

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Mon 19 May 2014 21:09

:(
Last edited by BTR on Tue 20 May 2014 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ad Hominem
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Alcorr
Master Sergeant

Postby Alcorr » Mon 19 May 2014 21:11

I figured life is too short for that.

Protip on getting up to speed on long threads: Read the last 4 or 5 pages.

Mako wrote:Life is too short to be informed, but just long enough to be a dick. :lol:

Pretty much this.

Beermachine
Private First-Class

Postby Beermachine » Mon 19 May 2014 23:24

Random wrote:Some people in here seem to think that the game is either balanced for the average player or for the people who play it competitivly. Could someone explain to me how they arrived at that conclusion?
Because until now I haven`t heard a single argument that was convincing about this.

I'll attempt to answer this.

While I have no formal evidence, decades of online gaming experience since dial-ups across multiple genres has taught me that it's generally true (not always though).

The best example I can think of for RTS's is micro. Often a unit can be perfectly balanced when used at an average level of play, but in the hands of an expert with exceptional APM be completely broken. While you can say that if the opponent has equivalent micro skill it should balance out, that often will not be the case as at the highest levels of play (in any sport, game, etc) small differences have a MUCH larger impact on the result. Hence often the balance considerations for average vs average and expert vs expert are different.

The same is true for other genres, in an FPS a gun could have insane kick, spread etc where it's useless in the hands of most players, but be massively overpowered at the highest skill ceiling compared to other weapons used at their skill ceiling.

Hope this helps explain it, though I feel I haven't done the greatest job of making it easily understandable!

Edited - Just re-read your question and my answer is completely irrevelent, the post below pretty much answers it perfectly!
Last edited by Beermachine on Tue 20 May 2014 00:04, edited 1 time in total.

Fistoblitzkrieg
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Fistoblitzkrieg » Mon 19 May 2014 23:57

After more than 30 pages of discussion I think reading just the OP is enough to give an educated response. :roll:

elitesix
Corporal

Postby elitesix » Tue 20 May 2014 00:23

Has Eugen commented on the ranked play imbalances described in the last 4-5 pages of this thread, here or elsewhere?

Gneckes
Warrant Officer

Postby Gneckes » Tue 20 May 2014 00:27

Not that I'm aware of.
Common sense shall thus be referred to as rare sense.

MENTORImage

Alcorr
Master Sergeant

Postby Alcorr » Tue 20 May 2014 02:32

After more than 30 pages of discussion I think reading just the OP is enough to give an educated response.

How so? Whether it's one page or one hundred, simply reading the first post doesn't give you nearly enough information to draw from, regardless of topic. The entire point of a forum board is to have multiple points of view.

Has Eugen commented on the ranked play imbalances described in the last 4-5 pages of this thread, here or elsewhere?

Not whatsoever. No comment on the overwhelming number of top ranked players that play blufor exclusively.

Although I did notice an interesting coincidence. It was a stickied thread until the last few pages became mostly posts in favor of balancing around competitive play (where it obviously is in blufors advantage) then it suddenly was unstickied and fell back to the second page.

Gopblin
Major-General

Postby Gopblin » Tue 20 May 2014 05:20

Alcorr wrote:Although I did notice an interesting coincidence. It was a stickied thread until the last few pages became mostly posts in favor of balancing around competitive play (where it obviously is in blufors advantage) then it suddenly was unstickied and fell back to the second page.

It mostly fell to the second page because I am currently more interested in the Ukrainian conflict and don't feel like explaining why a successful game has to be balanced at all levels of play or, failing that, at least at the pub level (see the example of RO2 failure, where a lot of maps were unbalanced without very well-organized teams).

Spoiler : How can one NOT be interested in a modern-day conflict where people are using PTRS en masse!? :

Best wishes,
Daniel
Nationality? - Russian.
Occupation? - No, no, just visiting.

Misfit
Captain

Postby Misfit » Tue 20 May 2014 05:53

Gneckes wrote:Indeed. Thanks for the Explanation Random, makes a lot of sense.
Misfit wrote:I figured life is too short for that.

Then don't make condescending posts?

I did not know that its a requirement to read the following responses to be able to quote the opening post. :roll:
Perlen vor die Säue.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”