Ranked gamemode

Arch
Lieutenant

Ranked gamemode

Postby Arch » Fri 16 May 2014 19:25

Destruction might be the superior mode this time.

I've found that 1v1 ranked just comes down to finding the CV with desperate recon then bombing it or rushing helos to kill the enemy CV in the beginning. Nothing else, and there is no other way to play against anyone who is decent.
Doing that in destruction would mean that if your little rush at the start or whatever fails, you're already losing. That didn't work in ALB because you could just sit tight and snipe units.

I also have not found that conquest rewards attacking, quite the opposite. Attacking in destruction means that you destroy more stuff fast which means you gain points fast, while in conquest it means you lose defenses for YOUR CV while attacking. The defender will always have enough defenses, while the attacker will not, meaning the defender has both the offensive and defensive edge.

I propose removing zones completely from Ranked and going on points alone, but having the need for a CV somewhere on the map to be able to deploy troops and getting more points the more CV's you have better spread out.
Too hard to do in RD, too complicated for Eugen to care, but one can wish. Every 1v1 opponent I have talked to agreed.

Thoughts?

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Ranked gamemode

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 16 May 2014 19:32

Agreed, they should at least throw destruction into the ranked game mode mix.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Fri 16 May 2014 19:33

In Destruction you will try to catch as many sectors as you can, then sit, strentghen your defenses and wait for your opponent to show you his units that you will be able to shell to death. You will also chase CVs with recon or light units and shell them as well.

What do you prefer ?

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Fri 16 May 2014 19:38

Crotou wrote:In Destruction you will try to catch as many sectors as you can, then sit, strentghen your defenses and wait for your opponent to show you his units that you will be able to shell to death. You will also chase CVs with recon or light units and shell them as well.

What do you prefer ?

You can prevent that, though. As they fight you off, they lose points (Unless you let them get a hold on the area.) which they need to either use on squishy CV's to get more points or more troops which means more points for you.
High value units like tanks could pay themselves back 2 - 3 times, meaning you can actually take them instead of just spamming cheap, ground holding units.

The problem in conquest is the number of zones really, not that you need to take zones.
It's always a stalemate or the other guy with a +1 and just winning even if you're killing his units with a 3:1KDR but still can't get to his CV.

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 16 May 2014 19:40

True, I feel like conquest could be improved by having like 3 zones, but those zones are high point sectors and very large.

I think it would make fights more intense and would make randomly bombing the enemy CV more difficult.

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Fri 16 May 2014 19:44

burnthepigs wrote:True, I feel like conquest could be improved by having like 3 zones, but those zones are high point sectors and very large.

I think it would make fights more intense and would make randomly bombing the enemy CV more difficult.

That's very interesting actually.

I don't know how it'd work with denying the zone, though.
You could maybe just get a defense then just spam CV's to cap it and hope he doesn't get them all in time while you spam defenses.
I'd prefer the map split into 6 big sectors or something.

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 16 May 2014 19:47

I was just putting up a number, not sure what would be optimal, probably somewhere around 5-ish.

Also I think with larger sectors, AA helos and fast transport choppers would be less important. (not a bad thing imo)
Last edited by burnthepigs on Fri 16 May 2014 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Seer7
Warrant Officer

Postby Seer7 » Fri 16 May 2014 19:48

Arch wrote:The problem in conquest is the number of zones really, not that you need to take zones.
It's always a stalemate or the other guy with a +1 and just winning even if you're killing his units with a 3:1KDR but still can't get to his CV.

Sounds like they should introduce Total Destruction rather than just regular destruction. That way CVs are a target but you can still win on kill points.

burnthepigs
Sergeant First-Class

Postby burnthepigs » Fri 16 May 2014 19:50

Seer7 wrote:
Arch wrote:The problem in conquest is the number of zones really, not that you need to take zones.

Sounds like they should introduce Total Destruction rather than just regular destruction. That way CVs are a target but you can still win on kill points.

Of course, timed total destruction is much better imo then destruction to points.

Arch
Lieutenant

Postby Arch » Fri 16 May 2014 19:53

Seer7 wrote:

I've found that most my matches that I lose are due to running out of time with more kills.
TD 40 mins would be interesting.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”