Stacked Teams

Meety
Corporal

Stacked Teams

Postby Meety » Thu 22 May 2014 08:28

I have a suggestion. Let me start off by saying when ever I join a game I usually tend to scope out the players stats on both sides. Call me a tool if you want but I do it just to see what sides are stacked. One team will usually be full of lvl 20+ with 80%+ win rates and the other team will be completely opposite.

My suggestion is to make some kind of classification system where novice players play against other novices and non novices will play with non novices. This way it will not ruin the game play of newer players rather than have them sit through a slaughter fest and not learning the game. When the novice player has reached a certain level then they progress to the non novices.

Iris
Brigadier

Re: Stacked Teams

Postby Iris » Thu 22 May 2014 08:30

The community is too small for that; just accept it's a game and you're going to play against friends who enjoy the company of one another who will beat you from time-to-time.

Or the best advice...make friends.

Meety
Corporal

Postby Meety » Thu 22 May 2014 08:32

Iris wrote:The community is too small for that; just accept it's a game and you're going to play against friends who enjoy the company of one another who will beat you from time-to-time.

This is probably because why it's a small community because some new players will probably play the game for the first time then immediately quit because of the constant loss against more experienced players

John Boyd
Sergeant

Postby John Boyd » Thu 22 May 2014 08:55

Meety wrote:
Iris wrote:The community is too small for that; just accept it's a game and you're going to play against friends who enjoy the company of one another who will beat you from time-to-time.

This is probably because why it's a small community because some new players will probably play the game for the first time then immediately quit because of the constant loss against more experienced players

This is the truth. I've never seen such a skill disparity in the RTS. It frankly shocks me that on this forum, people consistently defend stacked teams. And it doesn't help noob players to get stomped. It helps to play against people slightly better than you, not get stomped by stacked team.

They should at the very lest remove the ability to check stats. An automatch system would be preferable but I strongly doubt Eugen is going to put more money/time into this game beyond the DLC's now that they've moved on to Act of War.

elmoking
Lieutenant

Postby elmoking » Thu 22 May 2014 08:58

Theres no automatch system, gotta deal with it.

naizarak
Captain

Postby naizarak » Thu 22 May 2014 08:59

people have constantly requested matchmaking, afaik there's been no response :roll:

shuai-jan
Lieutenant

Postby shuai-jan » Thu 22 May 2014 09:03

As a completely new player nobody will stand a chance against anyone that has at least some experience anyways, the learning curve is very steep.
If losing deters a new player from continuing to play wargame, this is the wrong game for him anyways.
I personally think, the best way to improve yourself in wargame is losing, analyzing the replay, looking at what you and your enemy did, good or bad. So losing is beneficial to new players.
And if you want to play against a team, get some friends together and play, teamwork and communication is very underrated.

Cyberzomby
Sergeant

Postby Cyberzomby » Thu 22 May 2014 09:05

I play this game with a group of friends and only recently have we started winning some matches.

We make lobbys requesting level 10 max and remove higher level players if they join. We ask them to leave first btw ;)

You could set-up a lobby with another rule, requesting balanced sides. It would take more time to launch the game and fill the room, but you will get a more balanced match :)

ReniferS
Corporal

Postby ReniferS » Thu 22 May 2014 09:12

The most irritating thing is that when i look for pub game is see a stacked team on red for(200+games, 80% win). Pub stomp to thank you. I enter another game . The same on but this time on blue for. This went on for about 5 rooms. Please explain me why the stacked teams do not play each other but rather pub stomp 10 games players instead?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 22 May 2014 09:12

If you ask me, stacked teams should get into the habit of working with newer players rather than just curbstomping them.

Some examples of what you can do:
If there's 3 of you, host a 4v4 and let one pubbie be on your team, and if he's a new player try to mentor him.
If there's 4 of you, host a 3v3 or a 4v4 but split your team up and play against each other with a couple pubbies on each side. Try to balance the teams as best you can.
If you do curbstomp the enemy team, and one or more of them sits in the lobby after the game to wish you gg or chat for a moment, invite him to join you guys on teamspeak to play a few games, get pointers, and that stuff.

These are the sort of things we should all be doing, but I really don't think more than a few make the real effort. No the community isn't big enough for matchmaking, or breaking players up into classifications, but it's up to us players to do our part. Don't just go through the motions of logging on every night to wreck another 4, 8, or 12 people before you head to bed, because chances are you're making at least one or two of those people quit the game if they're newbies. It takes a lot of perseverance and practice, and Wargame can be extremely frustrating to those who don't understand it yet - I've put in well over 1,000 hours over the course of Wargame, and there are still things I don't truly know or feel comfortable with. I can't imagine starting Red Dragon from scratch!

You can be dismissive of people who quit Wargame and say 'it wasn't for them' if you want to, but that's the wrong attitude. With no tutorials, no help, and a constant serving of butt-rapes I think most people would quit. Not everyone has the time or dedication to self-teach themselves one of the most complex and awesome games there is, but with a bit of good will they might just make it over the hump and become long-term players.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”