STRB 90

Chuggy
Sergeant

Re: STRB 90

Postby Chuggy » Mon 26 May 2014 23:58

The guys saying it's OK can go into the armory and have a look at what else you can get for 70 points...
For example the T-72M1 at 70 points. It's a hard call for me to decide if a single STRB-90 is more useful than 4 T-72's or not; I might say they're about equally good. Obviously I pick the one that costs 70*1=70 instead of 70*4=280 points.

Saying it's countered by helicopters is ridiculous because it's so much cheaper than the supposed counter. In what other situation do you bring in a counter unit that's more expensive than the combined price of the units you are trying to counter? AA is cheaper than SEAD, but you don't buy SEAD if the enemy only has a single AA unit, now do you? You bring SEAD when the enemy has several hundred points worth of radars, anything else is a bad trade by the SEAD player, and that's why the STRB-90 is so trong: It's not effectively countered by equal/less points worth of its counter unit.

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Tue 27 May 2014 00:13

Chuggy wrote:Saying it's countered by helicopters is ridiculous because it's so much cheaper than the supposed counter.

Have a look at the Mi-24V for 85p.
And don't forget, that is has 0% risk of getting shot by that STRB 90.

VladK02
Sergeant Major

Postby VladK02 » Tue 27 May 2014 00:18

I stand by my comment. A pair of these sent down the river, or into enemy starting zone, will absolutely devastate and dominate everything within reach of the hellfires.

And ATGM inf usually gets stunlocked and killed by grenade launchers, by the way.

The boats are too powerful for canals, especially that map another d-day in paradise. Its like an i-win button for sector India and the central crossroads.

What guys do is they send the boats in pairs, and they back em up by cheap celtic choppers with AA stingers. And then what do you do? whatever you send, will die.

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Tue 27 May 2014 00:23

Let's be frank here:
Who gets wasted by STRB 90 on his own turf needs to work on his defense skills.

Like I said, get Mi-24V (85p) as cheap counter. (8x AP20, 2800m, 55%)
They have Celtics? Your defense should have AA to easily deal with some choppers anyway.

Ritterlich
Warrant Officer

Postby Ritterlich » Tue 27 May 2014 02:01

We get it, you want to keep your toy.

But you won't. It is ridiculously overpowered for its price. It doesn't matter if you can counter something this or that way (if you're lucky, with this one). For 70p you get Hellfires F&F, armor, 40HP, and call kinds of other nifty swiss-army knife tools.

The Mi24V will get shot down by Celtics / any kind of AA choppers/Chaps/Flakpanzer. These babes will just come out if you attack the STRB, And most REDFOR do NOT have the 150p Akulas, that's just the USSR deck. There are many red Nations in RD, among them several new ones. What do you tell them?Spam 20 light tanks, artillery to stun, some IFVs behind for ATGM attacks, and also smoke? Do you know how much investment that is?

Do you know that the guy with 2x STRBs for 70p each has just spent 140p and will have additional long range ATGM and G2A troops right behind these boats at the river? Even if you're USSR, yeah go, attack it with your single 150p Akula + long range chopper spotter, and get it taken out by these choppers or a suicide rocket plane for 50p. He'll still have his boat, you got 150p less, he got 50p less. "Next!", he calls.

I've had seen Riverboats riding up all the way up the river with Eurocorp AA chopper support, killing multiple super heavy tanks that thought they could easily take them.

The problem is also that River boats are not "restricted in movement", for the simple fact that the rivers usually divide important parts of the map. So this is no way for them to enjoy a "discount" based on that. There are just too many tools in this box, for its price.

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Tue 27 May 2014 02:25

I don't even use River Boats myself, because they are not worth a Naval Slot to me.

I just don't like witch-hunts.
(And you claiming it had F+F Hellfires, just proves this is one)

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Tue 27 May 2014 03:27

Ideas:

•Change availability to 1x Elite
•Raise price to 100
•Reduce armor by 1pt all around or reduce HP
•Raise speed to 40 knots (IRL speed)

guguku
Warrant Officer

Postby guguku » Tue 27 May 2014 16:11

Cmon let them think naval combat will become more interesting when they want to nerf Riverboats...... just keep in mind that the only thing why u take riverboats in ur naval Slots and not frigates (to increase ur chances to defeat the enemy fleet) is that Riverboats are extremely cheap => if u nerf the price, riverboats wont be used => boring matches, land and navy totally seperated

When i hear ur posts "STRB 90 attacks are unstopable", i just want to read L2P. Because its easy to counter with normal defenses.... u mustnt even build a special defense (thats also easy). Of course, if u put ur ATGM INF in open field it becomes crushed by the Mk19 GMG "Pro Tip": Put into forest or houses which are more than 1 km away from the river!!!!!!!
Or use Helos or AGM planes (A10 or SU25 are perfect) or LAW INF or FiST INF..... there are thousands of possibilities

The only problem is that REDFOR has no comparable Riverboat for River-to-Land-Combat (their riverboats are more Swiming MLRSs) , not that the STRB 90 is OP
A new "overpowered" Riverboat for REDFOR would be a nice addition with one of the planned DLCs.... i ll try to find one

Hope u ll learn to counter Riverboats..... or just play BLUFOR or Land-only-maps

Tonci87
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Tonci87 » Tue 27 May 2014 17:01

ch3cooh wrote:

I don't even use River Boats myself, because they are not worth a Naval Slot to me.

I just don't like witch-hunts.
(And you claiming it had F+F Hellfires, just proves this is one)

Yeah you don´t like withhunts when someone suggests a nerf to an Nato unit, be it justified or not....we get it.

fact is that these boats (all riverboats) can survive too much. I shall bring a hind to deal with it? OK, I need three bloody hits to kill it. Do you know how often the Hind will miss? It might actually run out of ammo before it kills the boat, and the other player will have no problem either retreating his very fast boat after he sees the Hind, or, if the heli is above the canal, charge at it and shoot it down with a hail of grenade launcher fire.
ImageImage
German realism oriented Arma Coop Community http://www.brigade2010.de

guguku
Warrant Officer

Postby guguku » Tue 27 May 2014 17:09

Make the riverboats completely useless....... when u decrease their armor i ll bet i wont see them in 75% of the games (at the moment its 50%)

WHy does nobody understands that the STRB is only a highend riverboat and REDFOR is missing such a boat!!!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”