[Revived Suggestion] Plane Altitude

Iris
Brigadier

[Revived Suggestion] Plane Altitude

Postby Iris » Fri 30 May 2014 10:04

I did some testing on behalf of a marshal to find some information on how editing the plane altitudes ingame.

I have found some interesting conclusions worthy of bringing it back up into it's own public discussion thread.

So let us begin;

1. Plane altitude is completely adjustable on a plane by plane basis;

a. an F-16A 12x227kg bomber could fly 2000 meters high out of the average manpad engagement envelope, and an F-16A Blk 15 could fly 2500 meters high out of all manpads engagement range and towards an engagement envelope of less than 1000 meters for most AAA.
b. Plane altitude allows for functioning roles, high altitude bomber, low altitude interdiction, low altitude CAS planes, etc.
c. Planes can function in cohesion with one another throughout the altitude spectrum; high altitude fighters engaging enemy planes will dive down to attack, and lower altitude planes can even swoop upwards to engage enemy planes. (I promise you this is insanely fun to watch; (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pe1xR ... e=youtu.be)

2. Plane altitude can even be adjusted with minimum altitude in mind;

a. so if for some reason a plane never needed to fly below XYZ height for any reason, it's entirely possible to implement.

3. Planes have flight parameters that influence their ability to dive or rise on targets, G-limits they can pull, etc. It allows some planes to do excellent dogfighting manuevers and others to hope they can maintain a good first strike capability.

a. Using Xeno's vast knowledge of aircraft and his sources it's entirely possible to have similar to accurate respresentations of an aircraft's flight characteristics in a more 3D environment. Did XYZ plane dive better? Have better G force limits? Was it able to roll, pitch, or yaw better?

b. Each plane would therefore become exceptionally unique as varying fighter characteristics of flight height, mission-role, and loadouts.

4. AA can also be adjusted within the system.

a. Certain AA roles can be kept in mind when giving them more purpose and desire in the deck based on the altitude of the aircraft or helicopter they're designed to counter.

b. **I'd speak to a Dev on this one, because I'm not sure if AA could be given minimum engagement angles so certain pieces can only engagement at XYZ height at XYZ range when thinking of the angle.

5. Planes munitions are affected by height.
a. Dumbbomb munitions lose accuracy and have increased dispersion the higher the altitude of the plane; the bombs also have increased "drop" time making them less likely to hit moving targets.

6. TO BE CONTINUED as I test it out.
Last edited by Iris on Fri 30 May 2014 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

Bullfrog
General

Re: [Revived Suggestion] Plane Altitude

Postby Bullfrog » Fri 30 May 2014 10:11

Awesome job! These need to be in the game!
Last edited by Bullfrog on Fri 30 May 2014 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 30 May 2014 10:32

Iris has proven before with mods (and I copied them too) that this works, and it works well.

+1

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 30 May 2014 10:33

Too complicated system... Is not obvious that so hard game mechanic change never will be applied....? One of th biggest reason the AI in campaigns the second that this is not a flight sim...

anto-shturmovik
Warrant Officer

Postby anto-shturmovik » Fri 30 May 2014 10:44

Great ! This would be a great addition to the game.
Image courtesy of Vincent Meslet and Graphic.

triumph
Major

Postby triumph » Fri 30 May 2014 10:45

A visual and physical representation of what was mentioned here, in beta would be amazing: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=38219&p=421108#p421108
Transcend Excellence

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Fri 30 May 2014 10:52

My main concern with the proposed system is with balancing the different altitudes. High altitude might become insanely OP compared with low altitude and so forth.

Anyway interesting suggestion, I've relayed it in the marshall forums.
Viker for ingen!

vitmerc
Warrant Officer

Postby vitmerc » Fri 30 May 2014 10:54

Amazing indeed, this should be used to some degree in the vanilla.
Feel free to copy above signature to yours; Support map ports and the trabant revolution!

Iris
Brigadier

Postby Iris » Fri 30 May 2014 10:57

molnibalage wrote:Too complicated system... Is not obvious that so hard game mechanic change never will be applied....? One of th biggest reason the AI in campaigns the second that this is not a flight sim...

There likely wouldn't be any need for more than 3 tiers; Low, Medium, and High. So you're best to mix a variety of low, medium, high aircraft and anti-aircraft.

A good set-up as West Germany would be Gepard (Low), Stinger Infantry (Low), Roland 3 (Med), F4F ICE's (High); a good setup with the Soviet Union would be; Tunguska (Low), Igla (Low) OSA AKM / TOR (Med), Buk M1 (High), and Fighter of your choice for (High).

It's pretty much the same thing you should already be doing or already did in ALB. Light AA, Medium AA, and Heavy AA. The only real change is that these are more defined rather than a centrally focuses meta; (Aka the current manpad AA meta from hell)

orcbuster wrote:My main concern with the proposed system is with balancing the different altitudes. High altitude might become insanely OP compared with low altitude and so forth.

I just noticed I forgot to add that planes lose accuracy on their dumb-bomb munitions the higher they drop them from; a bomber in current gameplay is generally 200-400m off the ground, if the increased height to some bombers went to upwards of 2000 meters high....they have a fairly large increase in dispersion at the benefit of increased chance of survival. It also ruins their ability to hit moving targets because of the increased fall time.

molnibalage
General

Postby molnibalage » Fri 30 May 2014 11:01

orcbuster wrote:My main concern with the proposed system is with balancing the different altitudes. High altitude might become insanely OP compared with low altitude and so forth.

• How will affect alt on bombing acc?
  • What you do with AC with BVR AAMs and multirole fighters which operates from low alt to high alt...?
  • What you do the eng. capability against helos because of big alt. difference?
  • There is no kinematics modeling in game during gun strafe of targets of hill sometimes you can see that AC fly through monuntain...
  • What about missile kinematics and range and amining issues of AGMs....? Because it would funny that another main factors are alt. are would not modeled. Some AC simply would be too effective if you model only the benefits of higer altitude...

There are tons of issues why even I love to see better modeling this seems to me far too complex. As long as helos simply are not able to do what do in RL - flying at almost ground level - I doubt that plane alt should be the main prioprity.

The video is nice it shows the benefit of your system.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”