Why don't I like RD?

Doeko
Master Sergeant

Why don't I like RD?

Postby Doeko » Tue 3 Jun 2014 16:51

I was a very active player of ALB and I still enjoy that game (much more than RD). I can't figure out whats wrong with RD. I really want to like it, but I just don't.

When I play ALB in 1v1 (usually ranked) it is an honest confrontation (or what I consider to be one) about 70% of the time, maybe more. That is acceptable. There is some variety in the units that are used by competitive players and different decks are viable.

I do NOT get this feeling at all when playing RD. I uninstalled it about a month ago and just reinstalled and after playing 4 games I uninstalled it again as 0% of them were, what I would call, an honest confrontation. They were all against different opponents and all were spam rushes of either BTR80A or those lame australian 15pt tanks.

I ranted about BTR80A, those lame australian 15pt tanks and a host of other things earlier and honestly I find wargame rather boring now that only a few strategies and none of them are fun to play against (because they are really gamey, depend 100% on "winning" the first 3 minutes, and do not represent tactical conflict).

Basically picking from a few viable deck strategies becomes the only way to be competitive. Being very good still comes from skill, of course, but only after you picked a deck choice which I don't desire to play against.

Anyway, you can call me a "noob" or whatever, but my micro is definitely not bad at all. My theory as to why I don't like this game is that I don't like the viable strategies for 1v1 (I only play 1v1 btw, because playing teams you have the wonderful options of teaming with randoms (no thank you) or teaming against randoms with people you know and then you always predictably win = boring as hell). I could prove that I am not a noob by starting to mimic the viable strategies that I see being used against me and I'd be up in the rankings in no time. But it isn't fun to do, so unless someone wants to bet money I won't be able to prove in hard facts that the reason why I don't like RD is down to the choice of tactics and not my incapability.

Taking away the ability to play mixed decks (in ranked at least) would probably fix all the issues I have with the balance in this game but the blight that is mixed decks has been with us since the beginning of time so I doubt that is ever going to change. I don't understand why because their presence makes the game realistically impossible to balance for Eugen.

Thus far my theory as to why I don't like it. No posts here are going to change that I don't like it right now, but please, tell me if you agree with me or, if not, what you think I can do to like this game more? Because as I said, I really do want to like it given how much I enjoyed ALB.

Bracus
Sergeant

Re: Why don't I like RD?

Postby Bracus » Tue 3 Jun 2014 17:44

I know how you feel. These op very cheap units, even the "not so good" players using them now in ranked thanks to the ppl who noticed them and posted the game imbalances because of these units, the youtube vids etc. The problem is not reporting them, the problem is these weren't nerfed or their prices increased, whatever. More than a month and these still shine... I cant belive eugen didn't see this problem in beta, but what now? Why dont they do anything? A lot of problems were reported, why is that this hard to change some stats or prices?
The other thing is the maps. A lot of buildings especialy on wonsan harbour. Well i hate that map. Why is it even included in ranked i dont get it. Anyone who is a bit better player and use a mech deck have a really big advantage on that map against a well balanced all around deck. Around 80% of my looses were on that map only, even from these "not so good" players who spammed elite mots or whatever elite infantry. You cant flank, anything without touching any buildings.
I played some of the top players in rd and it was a shame that everyone using the same super cheap tanks whatever without any tactic because they dont even need tactic for them, just spam, avoid or destroy enemy bombers and thats all, you rule. If they see my USSR deck they begin to laugh and drink some beer while their cheap stuff destroys everything in their path.
I dont even like my playstyle in this game, i hate it. Have to rush with btr80s and brdm3s in the beginning. If im lucky, i can kill 1-2CVs and put some infantry in key positions behind enemy lines and gain the advantage because of this? This needs hell a lot of micro in the beginning, this is not the thinkers game anymore, more about apm.
I really liked ALB with their maps, balance. Still playing RD but i dont pick the most succesfull coalition to be better in the ladder, i refuse this attitude. I managed to be in TOP3 in ALB, but here... If you are not with bluefor you screwed.

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Tue 3 Jun 2014 17:46

Are you suggesting that 15pt ultimate meatshield Centurions weren't used in ALB?
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

Rusknight
Captain

Postby Rusknight » Tue 3 Jun 2014 17:47

Doeko wrote:I was a very active player of ALB and I still enjoy that game (much more than RD). I can't figure out whats wrong with RD. I really want to like it, but I just don't.

Do you ask what is wrong with RD? Here is the list viewtopic.php?f=155&t=45902

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Tue 3 Jun 2014 17:55

i've been playing high income, total destruction no time limit most recently. i find that in these long run games, overall strategy wins over starting land grab, and assets become more important. suicide runs only hurt you in the end, and microing expensive units while sending battlegroups across lines gets me feeling that wargame feel :D
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

Bracus
Sergeant

Postby Bracus » Tue 3 Jun 2014 18:24

Countess Bathory wrote:Are you suggesting that 15pt ultimate meatshield Centurions weren't used in ALB?

Im sure i didnt noticed every nato player spamming them. Not in the first half year of alb. Maybe because destr. was the ranked game mode, i dont know. There were other spams, but empty transport spams where a hell a lot better than cent spams.
They are not only meat shields, they can actualy fight. 1925m for a 15pt 9armor tank? Yep, they can fight really good in numbers, espec. in forests.Hell they even have 2 top armor, so can survive light bombers. You can have op armor meat shields for draining enemy atgm ammo, but at least cripple the fighting power a lot. Or the anutonomy to 150km to at least have them to be babysitted a bit, or the he to1, whatever. You cant have this unit on the fields with these stats AND price AND in this big numbers. Oh and a hint to those who still have problems with spetz and LIs, this is your unit against them, well against anything what cant fly.
And cents are just the best units atm, a lot of other units needs to be rebalanced. Im waiting for balance patches every day, but loosing interest in this game every day. They could nerf these OP units in the first week and fine tune the others, dont know why they didn't do that.

F-22
Lieutenant

Postby F-22 » Tue 3 Jun 2014 18:31

I feel like there is just less variety in general right now, it's boring to only see the same 50 units over and over and over again.

There's always SAS, there's always centurions, there's always T-34's, there's always Spetznaz/Li Jian, there's always 1000KG bombs, because you're at such a disadvantage if you take anything else.

This pretty much means entire lines of units are redundant or useless, units that should be workhorses have been rendered irrelevant (T-72, Leopard 1). Special forces have become line infantry, 20-30 point MANPAD teams are superior to 70 and 85 point radar guided missile systems specifically designed to kill high flying and fast moving aircraft due to map design, etc.

That's basically why I've taken a bit of leave from RD right now until the DLC comes out, it just doesn't feel correct right now, at least for me.

/rant over

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Tue 3 Jun 2014 19:53

Countess Bathory wrote:Are you suggesting that 15pt ultimate meatshield Centurions weren't used in ALB?

Oh I saw them plenty in tournaments Centurions taking blows for the Leopards and Abrams.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Mot
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Mot » Tue 3 Jun 2014 22:08

WRD is suffering from huge balancing problems, some are just bad choices by the devs, but some are due to indirect inheritance from WALB. For example, maps, in WALB they were average, most of them had large open fields and infantry was balanced to have useful range, in WRD the maps are of high quality and there's lots of cover everywhere, as it should, but infantry kept the same stats that now break the balance (875m RPG's... :roll: )

I honestly think that WRD is already better than WALB, and when (if?) this balance problems are fixed, WRD will be the jewel of the series.
"I suck at Wargame" or "I have to wait 30 minutes to pubstomp people" are not solid arguments to criticize the game... just saying.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Tue 3 Jun 2014 22:12

Mike wrote:

Oh I saw them plenty in tournaments Centurions taking blows for the Leopards and Abrams.

I still yet to see this Centurions, M113 RR and T-34/85, SU-100 meta that people speak of. All I have seen in pub games is just spec ops helo rushes, atacm spam, and 1000kg bombs.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”