Handicap

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Handicap

Postby Hob_Gadling » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:01

Wargame could do with a new feature: handicap.

The idea is simple. You can set a handicap in game lobby, giving one side more income during the match. This income is a multiplier to the base income.

It is a way to even the playing field between established and pickup teams without increasing the early game pressure. It also isn't mandatory, no one is forced to play with a handicap. Ranked of course wouldn't have handicaps.

For modders it gives a way to create a new game mode or two. As new game modes are among the most requested features, this is a cheap (and likely the only!) way to get one.

Since Eugen will not commit to coding changes unless there is significant demand for one, I need support from you. If you think this would be a good idea please post a "I'd like to see this done"-type message in the thread.

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Handicap

Postby Sleksa » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:04

Sounds good to me, especially for the possible modded game modes.

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:05

This would be pretty cool, and a great way to help even the odds in some matches! I'd like to see this.

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby ikalugin » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:06

I would prefer for the handicap to affect both the income and the starting points.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

Grosnours
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Grosnours » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:11

Even without considering modding for one second, it's a very good idea.
The game as it is right now is slowly dying, for a multitude of reasons. Sure we can hope that the first free DLC will revive the player base,but only so much.
One of the issue with current iteration of the game is finding games, or rather giving everyone involved in a game lobby a good experience of play. The so called pubstomping is a problem, and hob's idea could help tremendously in that area.

Take the usual case, we have a lobby with experienced players on one side. What happens usually is :
- another team shows up and they play. Not a miracle recipe as sometimes there are huuuuge differences in level.
- only lone players come and fill a side. Not a good recipe either as the game is bound to be imbalanced.

Now imagine that hob's idea has been coded. The lobby filled with experienced players can now decide to set a bonus/handicap to one side. Theirs if there a weaker team or pubs as opponents, or to the others if a stronger team showed up.
It's a win/win situation : everybody gets more fun and pubs/noobs will be much more inclined to play if they do have a bonus working for them.

Sure there will always be bad hosts that will refuse to get a handicap but nothing will change them: bad people are bad.

FleF[FFR]
Second-Lieutenant

Postby FleF[FFR] » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:13

Hob_Gadling wrote:Wargame could do with a new feature: handicap.

The idea is simple. You can set a handicap in game lobby, giving one side more income during the match. This income is a multiplier to the base income.

It is a way to even the playing field between established and pickup teams without increasing the early game pressure. It also isn't mandatory, no one is forced to play with a handicap. Ranked of course wouldn't have handicaps.

For modders it gives a way to create a new game mode or two. As new game modes are among the most requested features, this is a cheap (and likely the only!) way to get one.

Since Eugen will not commit to coding changes unless there is significant demand for one, I need support from you. If you think this would be a good idea please post a "I'd like to see this done"-type message in the thread.

Get me in your team. you gonna have a handicap. :lol:
Rejoignez les FFR!
Une communauté de jeux videos sympa et conviviale

ikalugin

Postby ikalugin » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:15

Well, handicap would allow good breakthrough battles on open maps.
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."

DeuZerre
Location: Universe, Galaxy, Solar System, Earth, Ground, Eurasian Continent, Main Landmass.

Postby DeuZerre » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:17

Good idea but with a few drawbacks. Games with a handicap should be clearly indicated.
Marshal honoris causa
FLX wrote:Removing the weaknesses from the divisions leads to all divisions being the same in the long run. We won't proceed like that.

Zone
Warrant Officer

Postby Zone » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:20

+1

Would be cool to give Randoms a bonus income when playing with friends.
Pubstompers x1 income, Pubs x1,5 could be a fair trade to make it more fun, pubs winning or (more likely still) not :P
TANK GIRL
"Chuck Norris can fly 9 ASM planes (into space) the same time."

Aubustou
Lieutenant

Postby Aubustou » Thu 12 Jun 2014 11:26

Good idea!
Image Gloire à la Nation!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”