please nerf dryness

praslovan
Major-General

Re: please nerf dryness

Postby praslovan » Wed 18 Jun 2014 18:57

elmoking wrote:Yep. They can shut down server sand use saved money to pay map developers to develop more good maps for RD. Maybe they can even be in anime style if enough of playerbase prefer. :roll:

You are being rather annoying with this "shut down servers" by now.

Eugen themselves have decided to have their proprietary login, chat, session list ect system. Which means they should support their products that run on them. Sessions up to 4v4 are player hosted, anything more can be run on community based dedicated servers.

Considering things mentioned above and that you can invite people in ALB while playing RD, coupled with the fact that franchise doesn't have big community which means no requirement for enormous server power, we can come to conclusion that system for RD and system for ALB probably run on the same server if not even that they are one system altogether.

I would even take a wild guess and say that they actually run their mail server on the same hardware. :lol:

Anyhow... in total... cost is probably not significant enough to the point that shutting down ALB MP would save them enough money for improving RD significantly if even at all. I bet that their office coffee expense is same price if not even higher.

So stop with this foolishness.

jb1b84
Master Sergeant

Postby jb1b84 » Wed 18 Jun 2014 20:28

Well said praslovan. I just wanted to add that it's pretty much a "zero sum" issue anyways. Let's say Eugen shut down the ALB servers to force people onto RD. They would still use largely the same server capacity, bandwidth, maintenance (and whatever other costs go into it) regardless of which game people are playing.

The savings would be minimal if any and probably not even enough for a hand-drawn sketch of a new map.

Scanny
Sergeant Major

Postby Scanny » Thu 19 Jun 2014 02:25

Pretty disappointed in RD some of maps really, thought terrain would be much more dynamic.

You have some great maps with amazing landscapes that encourage some great battles like:

Smoke on the Water, Bloody Ridge, Another D-Day in Paradise, Cold War Z, Wonsan Harbour, Strait to the Point, Tough Jungle, Cliff Hanger, Back to Inchon, A Maze in Japan, Floods

And then you have ALB tier 'look its another 2d surface with a few trees and city blocks' which is just trench warfare:

Gunboat Diplomacy, 38th Parallel, Jungle LAW, Hop and Glory, Paddy Field, Apocalypse Imminent, Plunjing Valley
and "Lets build 7 bridges with 100 meters of each other" aka Nuclear Winter is coming.

No point even mentioning the Naval maps which are just terrible and not worth the little time they were spent on.

10v10s.... for a game that touts Naval as a brand new addition having some ported ALB maps is pretty disgraceful.

Unfortunately due Eugenes map making systems which apparently relies upon third party tools and from what I have read they outsource mapping too, we will never get map tools and thus will have to wait from them to pump out maps of varying quality.

Also does anyone else think there might be a filter on RD? I swear everything is just grey and brown.
"Balance Uber Alles"

MILINTarctrooper
Major

Postby MILINTarctrooper » Thu 19 Jun 2014 05:25

Scanny wrote:Pretty disappointed in RD some of maps really, thought terrain would be much more dynamic.

You have some great maps with amazing landscapes that encourage some great battles like:

Smoke on the Water, Bloody Ridge, Another D-Day in Paradise, Cold War Z, Wonsan Harbour, Strait to the Point, Tough Jungle, Cliff Hanger, Back to Inchon, A Maze in Japan, Floods

And then you have ALB tier 'look its another 2d surface with a few trees and city blocks' which is just trench warfare:

Gunboat Diplomacy, 38th Parallel, Jungle LAW, Hop and Glory, Paddy Field, Apocalypse Imminent, Plunjing Valley
and "Lets build 7 bridges with 100 meters of each other" aka Nuclear Winter is coming.

No point even mentioning the Naval maps which are just terrible and not worth the little time they were spent on.

10v10s.... for a game that touts Naval as a brand new addition having some ported ALB maps is pretty disgraceful.

Unfortunately due Eugenes map making systems which apparently relies upon third party tools and from what I have read they outsource mapping too, we will never get map tools and thus will have to wait from them to pump out maps of varying quality.

Also does anyone else think there might be a filter on RD? I swear everything is just grey and brown.

I remember someone who was color blind playing on my Redfor team...he couldn't see the unit tabs at all!

But yeah...we haven't had snow/nor colors in this game.

And for all the campaign maps we don't have good...Multiplayer maps.

I am still scratching my head at Plunjin Valley...Huge...Ginormous empty flanks...and all the zones are squashed in the center...it makes no sense. Kind of on Vasterbooten Level of zany but Vasterbooten was unique to play in many different ways...in many ways...I fear it was the prototype of RD maps!
52.2% 1v1 Ranked 32.2% Multi since Open Beta.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Thu 19 Jun 2014 06:19

Hitman[Irean] wrote:
BRUTIKUS wrote:RD aesthetic need BUFF. I fly delfin over dry land, drop dry fire, land more dry. I pick map with naval, even water look dry.

too much desert, orange

buff aesthetic remake of ALB color, more map to this!

I think the person at eugen who made the filters for RD needs help cause he is depressed. Back on topic this is very true. One main reason I gone back to ALB

Odd I go back to EE for the opposite, War shouldn't look pretty and colourful ;)

bobjoeharris
Warrant Officer

Postby bobjoeharris » Thu 19 Jun 2014 06:36

chykka wrote:
Hitman[Irean] wrote:
BRUTIKUS wrote:RD aesthetic need BUFF. I fly delfin over dry land, drop dry fire, land more dry. I pick map with naval, even water look dry.

too much desert, orange

I think the person at eugen who made the filters for RD needs help cause he is depressed. Back on topic this is very true. One main reason I gone back to ALB

Odd I go back to EE for the opposite, War shouldn't look pretty and colourful ;)

I think EE had good colors, and I think ALB was good too, but RD is too bland
I am [LCol] 'Harris' In ALB and RD, and 'Lt Col. Harris; in EE
bobjoeharris wrote:fighting for dry, colorless landscapes with boring grey houses, as dry napalm is dropped to further dry up the land, all while the silent ships watch from the silent sea :(

loosebruce
Master Sergeant

Postby loosebruce » Thu 19 Jun 2014 12:15

too much desert, orange

SUCH DRY
MANY THIRST
MUCH BUFF

Mad22
Lieutenant

Postby Mad22 » Thu 19 Jun 2014 14:32

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

I propose a change of loadout for the A10 or a second variant of A10.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Thu 19 Jun 2014 14:41

I kind of like the current aesthetic.

qqsuen
Master Sergeant

Postby qqsuen » Thu 19 Jun 2014 15:08

another505 wrote:anyways, i want to say, eugen should stop focusing their map design base on their campaign map specific location

but be more creative base on the geography of the whole theater

>implying even a single map make for the HK campaign

also even there's the Kyushu strait map, it's never used in the real Japan campaign, I don't really know understand that (make a real life tactical map, make a campaign map with that location, use some generic map to represent that area instead, why?).

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”