Anti-Ship launcher Prophecy

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Anti-Ship launcher Prophecy

Postby Keinutnai » Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:09

Maybe some of you remember how I predicted that T-80U availability would be decreased when no one except marshalls knew about it. And then it really happened. 4 T-80U became 3 T-80U per card.

This time I will predict the fate of ground based anti ship missile launchers.

Q: Will ground based anti ship missiles be released together with DLC1 (together with new east block units?
A: Yes

Q: Will it be released in June?
A: No

Q:When will it be released?
A: In July or first week of August. It will be released on a monday, tuesday or wednesday.

Q: Will the anti ship ground units be in support or navy section?
A: Navy section, because having them in support section would make them redundant on ground only maps and also because not many people would give up an Anti Air or Artillery card for an anti ship launcher.

Q: Will the ground based anti ship missile launchers be popular?
A: No, they will be seldom used, because their availabilty will be only slightly higher than the availability of ships, which will not be good enough to counteract the flexibility of ships, because unlike ground based anti ship missiles which can be used merely for defense, ships can also be used for attacks, have powerful cannons and strong air defense. Furthermore a card of them might carry even less missiles than a card of ships. The popularity of anti ship missile launchers will be about as high as the popularity of helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports, but its quite likely that they will be even less popular (except for the initial hype when they will be released.)

Q: Is there no way how ground based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports can become equally prominent as ships or at least be used in regular matches?
A: It would be possible only if ground based anti ship missile launchers + helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports do not jeopardise the number of cards of ships taken, which can happen ONLY if these units go into a NEWLY CREATED category of units, thus not competing with the ships in the Naval Slot. But this will not happen, thus ground based anti ship missiles will be seldomly used by good players.

DISCLAIMER: Unlike T-80U prediction where I had marshal confirmation, with anti ship missiles I don't and furthermore some things might not be fully decided at this point yet. This time I dont have a confirmation from a marshall and this means that it's not 100% certain that I will be right in all I say. But after long experience of knowing how eugen handles things as these I can offer my prediction. Therefore dont take this prophecy as absolute truth, but more like a guidance to know where this all is heading as well as the when.
Last edited by Keinutnai on Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

stratmania
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Anti-Ship launcher Prophecy

Postby stratmania » Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:28

Keinutnai wrote:Maybe some of you remember how I predicted that T-80U availability would be decreased when no one except marshalls knew about it. And then it really happened. 4 T-80U became 3 T-80U per card.

This time I will predict the fate of ground based anti ship missile launchers.

Q: Will ground based anti ship missiles be released together with DLC1 (together with new east block units?
A: Yes

Q: Will it be released in June?
A: No

Q:When will it be released?
A: In July or first week of August. It will be released on a monday, tuesday or wednesday.

Q: will the anti ship ground units be in support or navy section?
A: Navy section, because having them in support section would make them redundant on ground only maps and also because not many people would give up an Anti Air or Artillery card for an anti ship launcher.

A: No, they will be seldom used, because their availabilty will be only slightly higher than the availability of ships, which will not be good enough to counteract the flexibility of ships, because unlike ground based anti ship missiles which can be used merely for defense, ships can also be used for attacks, have powerful cannons and strong air defense. Furthermore a card of them might carry even less missiles than a card of ships. The popularity of anti ship missile launchers will be about as high as the popularity of helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports, but its quite likely that they will be even less popular (except for the initial hype when they will be released.)

Is there no way how ground based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports can become equally prominent as ships or at least be used in regular matches?
A: It would be possible only if ground based anti ship missile lainchers + helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports do not jeopardise the number of cards of ships taken, which can happen ONLY if these units go into a NEWLY CREATED category of units, thus not competing with the ships in the Naval Slot. But this will not happen, thus ground based anti ship missiles will be seldomly used by good players.

DISCLAIMER: Unlike T-80U prediction where I had marshal confirmation, with anti ship missiles I don't and furthermore some things might not be fully decided at this point yet. This time I dont have a confirmation from a marshall and this means that it's not 100% certain that I will be right in all I say. But after long experience of knowing how eugen handles things as these I can offer my prediction. Therefore dont take this prophecy as absolute truth, but more like a guidance to know where this all is heading as well as the when.

The only thing that I think would be cooler than late july or early august is if it gets released at august 1.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:49

Much of this has already been confirmed. What does a statement about a T-80U change you heard from a marshall have to do with speculation on how ASM-launchers will fit into the game?

Keinutnai wrote:

Is there no way how ground based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports can become equally prominent as ships or at least be used in regular matches?
A: It would be possible only if ground based anti ship missile lainchers + helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports do not jeopardise the number of cards of ships taken, which can happen ONLY if these units go into a NEWLY CREATED category of units, thus not competing with the ships in the Naval Slot. But this will not happen, thus ground based anti ship missiles will be seldomly used by good players.

I`d put them in my 2v2-deck, probably. Keep in mind they can shot at ships while ships can`t shoot at them, and that what is most competitive now (in my somewhat limited experience) is relying on ASM-planes, together with with riverines and once in a while a coastal, while otherwise focussing on the land. It`s also been confirmed that they go into naval tab.

I expect they will be more of an area-denial-weapon/protecing a sector against the sea. I don`t see why they wouldn`t be priced in a way that makes them useful in certain situations. Also, the timing of fireing their missiles will be very easy, turn off all weapons, turn them on again(with the newly added button), click a enemy ship before they all shot at a different one, profit. And on another point you know almost always where the ships are (with very little recon), but if you move the ASM-launchers after every shot (easy with F&F) they can`t target them with airstrikes/artillery.

Keinutnai
Lieutenant

Postby Keinutnai » Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:55

What so special about aug 1?
Or do you mean it be cool because it's a friday and it would mean they like to live dangerous?

@random
That they cannot be targetted by anti ship missiles is great, however komars cannot be targeted either, but komars can also attack and they have some AA.
Wargame 4 - Balkan at War - New Countries: Italy, Spain, Greece & Turkey versus Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, Hungary & Romania!

ch3cooh
Colonel

Postby ch3cooh » Fri 20 Jun 2014 14:59

I have a Prophecy as well.

The only reason to use them over Helos would be if they were cheaper or packed a much bigger punch.

@Komars
Great stuff but like Helos you have to get them in advance and while you can operate the Helos safely from your territory, Komars will get eaten when empty.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Fri 20 Jun 2014 21:04

Keinutnai wrote:What so special about aug 1?
Or do you mean it be cool because it's a friday and it would mean they like to live dangerous?

@random
That they cannot be targetted by anti ship missiles is great, however komars cannot be targeted either, but komars can also attack and they have some AA.

The thing is, that land based launchers can be (hopefully) used in a way in which they will never die, because they are out of range of the ship and can change position fast. Komars on the other hand, are on the water and can be chased down, ASM-launchers can`t. On another point, the komars need to be refilled with a supplyship, which will get killed in a second by a ASM-carrying intruder or F-111G. the launchers on the land you could theoretically park next to a FOB.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Fri 20 Jun 2014 22:14

The only reason to use them over Helos would be if they were cheaper or packed a much bigger punch.

Well, they'll probably be both. They pack real big AShMs like Harpoon and Termit, after all, and they are unarmored trucks.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Nebukadnezarthe2nd
Staff Sergeant

Postby Nebukadnezarthe2nd » Fri 20 Jun 2014 23:53

Keinutnai wrote:Q: Will the ground based anti ship missile launchers be popular?

made me laugh a little considering the current "spam 4 ASM planes" meta...well, maybe that changes.

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 20 Jun 2014 23:57

Keinutnai wrote:Q: Is there no way how ground based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports can become equally prominent as ships or at least be used in regular matches?
A: It would be possible only if ground based anti ship missile launchers + helicopter based anti ship missiles and ground units in naval transports do not jeopardise the number of cards of ships taken, which can happen ONLY if these units go into a NEWLY CREATED category of units, thus not competing with the ships in the Naval Slot. But this will not happen, thus ground based anti ship missiles will be seldomly used by good players.

I'm hoping Eugen do end up splitting Naval with a new marine. Even if it may take some work the benefits would be massive.

bobjoeharris
Warrant Officer

Postby bobjoeharris » Sat 21 Jun 2014 00:02

I may use AShM launchers if they are able to hide from ships well and pack a bigger punch then helos( fire missiles with ship stats)
I am [LCol] 'Harris' In ALB and RD, and 'Lt Col. Harris; in EE
bobjoeharris wrote:fighting for dry, colorless landscapes with boring grey houses, as dry napalm is dropped to further dry up the land, all while the silent ships watch from the silent sea :(

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”