A call towards community integration

Zone
Warrant Officer

Re: A call towards community integration

Postby Zone » Mon 28 Jul 2014 00:54

A good start would be to stop the "marshals" policy.

From what I see and experienced they stand for nothing but themselves in this community or only a very small group inside of it.
This way they only represent a very small part of the game, competetive conquest games in ranked games. But the majority of players here dont give anything about esports. I wouldnt wonder if most of the playerbase really just play 10vs10 at all. Also, destruction based games still seem to be the major part of running games out there.
What the marshal system lacks is support for more creative and versatile game modes and styles. Total Destruction/No Time Limit for example, which is popular among skilled but non-conquest-spam-loving players.
Wargame cannot evolve just around conquest...
Also, their testing and internal suggestions seem to bring this game nowhere at all, obviously cant find major bugs and flaws of DLCs and patches and so on.

I would vote for public betas and no more internal development forums with just the marshals included.
TANK GIRL
"Chuck Norris can fly 9 ASM planes (into space) the same time."

Woozle
Captain

Postby Woozle » Mon 28 Jul 2014 00:57

publord wrote:
Kin-Luu wrote:What is also not helping is the fact, that the - already rather small - community is already divided between the conquest peasants and the total destruction master race. Both of which are additionaly divided into high- and low point fanatics, or time limit/no time limit.

Cool. I guess if you are into a historical reenactment of the last forty years of activity on India's Pakistan border, then destruction is a good mode

You are right about one thing though, the divide between high and low points is a cancer that kills this game. I've never seen another company implement a game with this scale in such a competent manner only to have its players want to confine it to the level of Company of Heroes

Yeah, no. Total destruction No time limit, the only way to win is to outmaneuver your enemy, this means ATTACK, and be clever about it, but I agree with you about the low-point "tactical" games, I can't stand them, if I wanted to micro one tank I would play men of war which does a much better job of that.

fatfluffycat
Major

Postby fatfluffycat » Mon 28 Jul 2014 02:56

Trimen wrote:A good way to help bring the community together is via integrated VOIP.

How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

xthetenth
First Sergeant

Postby xthetenth » Wed 30 Jul 2014 04:32

Woozle wrote:
publord wrote:
Kin-Luu wrote:What is also not helping is the fact, that the - already rather small - community is already divided between the conquest peasants and the total destruction master race. Both of which are additionaly divided into high- and low point fanatics, or time limit/no time limit.

Cool. I guess if you are into a historical reenactment of the last forty years of activity on India's Pakistan border, then destruction is a good mode

You are right about one thing though, the divide between high and low points is a cancer that kills this game. I've never seen another company implement a game with this scale in such a competent manner only to have its players want to confine it to the level of Company of Heroes

Yeah, no. Total destruction No time limit, the only way to win is to outmaneuver your enemy, this means ATTACK, and be clever about it, but I agree with you about the low-point "tactical" games, I can't stand them, if I wanted to micro one tank I would play men of war which does a much better job of that.

Whackamole!

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Wed 30 Jul 2014 05:07

We could do with VOIP (not that it's ever going to happen) but what I want to see is better UI, custom skins being integrated so people can see your army's look, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Mostly the skins because I think it'll be hilarious.

Ahaha, Conquest is better. Not that Destruction is bad, but too many of them turn into sitzkriegs.

中铁四局
Warrant Officer

Postby 中铁四局 » Wed 30 Jul 2014 05:38

so,the one million miles means mod support? (model editing?)

OK,here's what I few about the WRD

*WRD has poor map design, there's always a river to isolate one side completely to another, and only a few bridges can pass, this made the game ideal for camping, which is the worst thing happen to any game.

*Hard for new guys to find friend, perhaps there should be a "friend making", Make friends vs. BOT for new plays to speed up the learning period.

*SO MANY FCKING OPTIONS....... in WAB there's few game mode, mainly destruction and conquest, and I think its perfect, in WRD the income should be set just the same as WAB, they are perfect, why change that?

*Deck restriction, only allow 5 slot for a universal deck is really boring...........BORING......BAWRING
(for more deck slot, you'll sacrifice half of the unit option for a specialized deck)
:shock:

*I personally don't like the Cluster MLRS idea
Dear Eugen, Please give T-72BU its iconic red-eye shtora system back! It looks mean and awesome!

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Wed 30 Jul 2014 05:55

Zone wrote:A good start would be to stop the "marshals" policy.

From what I see and experienced they stand for nothing but themselves in this community or only a very small group inside of it.
This way they only represent a very small part of the game, competetive conquest games in ranked games. But the majority of players here dont give anything about esports. I wouldnt wonder if most of the playerbase really just play 10vs10 at all. Also, destruction based games still seem to be the major part of running games out there.
What the marshal system lacks is support for more creative and versatile game modes and styles. Total Destruction/No Time Limit for example, which is popular among skilled but non-conquest-spam-loving players.
Wargame cannot evolve just around conquest...
Also, their testing and internal suggestions seem to bring this game nowhere at all, obviously cant find major bugs and flaws of DLCs and patches and so on.

I would vote for public betas and no more internal development forums with just the marshals included.

The marshal system completely lacks support for whining, unsubstantiable claims for unit additions, unverifiable unit x OP/UP/broken but no replays to illustrate claims and doom propheting. They respond exactly like people doing this job in their own free time usually do when confronted with BS or outrageous unbacked claims.

Marshalls are generally far more well read and if not so, willing to put in the time to read up on subjects than 99.9% of the player base. Just look at the quality of sources they bring up. They stand for ideas and proposals that don't find their only evidence and justification in at best shaky sources like Wikipedia/random forum posts/rumor or ausairpower etc.

Vids or Pics or it didn't happen is a good rule, so is actual historical docs chronicling use of a unit in the way you suggest, stuff from reputable defense experts/organizations or army letterhead etc all get you much further with the marshals.

Marshals will entertain and discuss some crazy stuff if you actually have good documentation to back it up. Their input filter seems to have more to do with BS than e-ports suitability.

We all have our pet units, the inclusion of which we have thoroughly rationalized in our heads (I for one would like US motorized to be LAV based with lots of AGS and for USSR air to look like the VVS) but the marshals know that the game will still work just fine without my pie in the sky dreams and could be made better with far less extensive changes. And most user requests would require an inordinate amount of time to implement and would cause massive QQ so they just stop it before a dump truck of bull hits the fan. Self filter, ask do you have actual substantiated or verifiable claims?

It actually is really is nice to have guys like Graphic, Fleiger, BTR, Vasily, Guggy, Brutoni and others to get us back down to earth. If RD was perfect we would have 10 different paint schemes for every one of the 3000 units in game but this would be impossible to make work so they don't go to such extravagant lengths.

Marshals, if the units for dlc threads are any evidence, are actually slowly encouraging people to become more informed about military matters and more invested in making informed researched (actionable you could say) contributory research and suggestions to the game.

Closed marshal betas allow for controlled predictable player behavior from test to test and allow eugen to essentially rapid prototype potentially radical concepts with players that won't run to the forum doom propheting before they have even played it thoroughly. Open betas would get nothing done past the initial traditional pre release, in fact open beta beforeevery dlc would be an encumbrance.

The Marshall system seems to work just fine to me even though it refuses to advocate for the exact perfect game as I envision it. I think most players would agree. Any suggestion we make is eventually referred and travels to a group of devs with effectively 4 games (I count ruse, check out the map similarities sometime) in the series under their belts, that is one hell of a wall of "we probably by now know what we are doing/what is best" for even the Marshals to potentially overcome.

Keep the marshals, they help to integrate the community!
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 30 Jul 2014 19:02, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Language
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 30 Jul 2014 05:59

hansbroger wrote:Keep the marshals, they help to integrate the community!

IDK man Zone seems pretty well informed. He made a thread to nerf autoloaders before they came out, even!

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Wed 30 Jul 2014 06:01

Guggy wrote:
hansbroger wrote:Keep the marshals, they help to integrate the community!

IDK man Zone seems pretty well informed. He made a thread to nerf autoloaders before they came out, even!

I am sorry for misspellings your name :o
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Morbo
Staff Sergeant

Postby Morbo » Wed 30 Jul 2014 08:22

When I (recently) first played this game with friends I commented that this game should have a party system like SC2, where me and my friends can join a game (and a team) as a party. Currently we have to join a game and then invite the others, hoping we can all get on the same team in time. This ends up being frustrating for everyone involved if we can't and end up quitting.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”