"Re-role" some of the maps (make new maps by changing zones)

RangerPL
Major

"Re-role" some of the maps (make new maps by changing zones)

Postby RangerPL » Mon 28 Jul 2014 20:20

Since it's becoming more and more unlikely that we'll see completely new maps for RD in the future, or even ported ones from EE/ALB, perhaps the developers can be convinced to allow us to make the best of the maps we already do have, by changing the zones around to create new experiences. Additionally, some maps that are currently unplayable because they suffer from "river in the middle" syndrome could be improved quite a bit by being rotated 90 degrees.

The intent of this thread is to discuss ways to create new maps out of the ones we already have by changing only the zones, and nothing else.

Here's a few examples: (all can be clicked to enlarge):

Here are some clean high-res maps if you want to make your own: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv? ... sp=sharing

Spoiler : original text :
orcbuster wrote:I said porting them directly is not going to Happen. As for remaking them I do not know.

It certainly has to be easier than making totally new maps from scratch.

But, at the very least, if new terrains aren't possible, maybe some of the current maps can be "re-roled" or cloned with new zone configurations? Aside from terrain, zones are the second largest thing that dictates how the maps will be played, so changing those around can lead to completely new gameplay experiences.

I hope that is at least taken into consideration.
Last edited by RangerPL on Wed 30 Jul 2014 04:22, edited 8 times in total.

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: In case DLC 2 is the last one

Postby raventhefuhrer » Mon 28 Jul 2014 20:24

Turning maps on their sides is an excellent idea, making rivers vertical rather than horizontal would breathe new life into a lot of maps, just by turning them onto their sides. Essentially you'd convert a lot of those maps into Three Mile Island type situations, two battles divided by a river, with flanking potential for amphibious units to cross between zones and get surprise attacks.

Really awesome idea actually.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: New rotated maps suggestion

Postby orcbuster » Mon 28 Jul 2014 20:49

SPLIT AS PER REQUEST
Viker for ingen!

I WUB PUGS
Lieutenant

Postby I WUB PUGS » Mon 28 Jul 2014 20:58

raventhefuhrer wrote:Turning maps on their sides is an excellent idea, making rivers vertical rather than horizontal would breathe new life into a lot of maps, just by turning them onto their sides. Essentially you'd convert a lot of those maps into Three Mile Island type situations, two battles divided by a river, with flanking potential for amphibious units to cross between zones and get surprise attacks.

This I like.

I also think in some of the "oh look how many damn trees there are on the edge of the map" maps could be improved by putting a zone in some of those heavily forested areas. There is already a good amount of fighting going on there when someone is trying to flank, but the zone would help the noobs be more willing to send troops there. Also gives incentive to take and hold the jungle.

DoubleDown
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby DoubleDown » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:13

I WUB PUGS wrote:
raventhefuhrer wrote:Turning maps on their sides is an excellent idea, making rivers vertical rather than horizontal would breathe new life into a lot of maps, just by turning them onto their sides. Essentially you'd convert a lot of those maps into Three Mile Island type situations, two battles divided by a river, with flanking potential for amphibious units to cross between zones and get surprise attacks.

This I like.

I also think in some of the "oh look how many damn trees there are on the edge of the map" maps could be improved by putting a zone in some of those heavily forested areas. There is already a good amount of fighting going on there when someone is trying to flank, but the zone would help the noobs be more willing to send troops there. Also gives incentive to take and hold the jungle.

All all-woods zone, possibly even mountainous, where infantry woods battles would rule the day? Fund it.

Mad22
Lieutenant

Re: "Re-role" some of the maps

Postby Mad22 » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:19

DoubleDown wrote:
I WUB PUGS wrote:

This I like.

All all-woods zone, possibly even mountainous, where infantry woods battles would rule the day? Fund it.

Absolutely needs to happen. Variety is the spice.
HOT SHOTS IS MORE REALISTIC THAN TOP GUN. whats that about?

NATO Potato
Captain

Postby NATO Potato » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:19

+1 great, great, amazingly solid idea!

but on a serious note I do agree. some of the rivers on the map are too restricting and make for extremely static gameplay. I have no idea how hard or how much time it would take to flip the map, but I think it would greatly improve the gameplay on some of the maps.

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:22

Here's what a re-worked Gunboat Diplomacy might look like.

It's not perfect and I can see some imbalances on it myself, but it's basically a whole new map if you just move the zones around a bit.

(click to enlarge)

I would not mind if a few "re-imagined" maps were included in a DLC, as new maps.

Edit: The water is not removed by the way. It just looks that way in my images.
Last edited by RangerPL on Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

NATO Potato
Captain

Postby NATO Potato » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:29

that's another thing too. some of the maps would be made instantly playable if the rivers were removed.

it feels like the amphibious aspect of the game is forced upon the player, rather than seamlessly integrated into maps to make it one of many options, not the only option.

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Mon 28 Jul 2014 21:40

The water is still there, my high-res images just don't have it.

The idea here was to make the map look different by changing only the zones. It's not a serious proposal, just an example.