"Re-role" some of the maps (make new maps by changing zones)

elmoking
Lieutenant

Re: "Re-role" some of the maps (make new maps by changing zo

Postby elmoking » Wed 30 Jul 2014 16:32

I'm quite certain the zones are separate to the maps. This is something that should be looked at, frankly - WRD is in need of new mappage.

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Wed 30 Jul 2014 20:06

Mikeboy wrote:Ranger I much preferred your previous 38th Parallel to be honest. A river splitting tends to mean either A) the game is more likely to be static and B) You need to heli rush at the start to go beyond your natural zones.

That's why I gave both sides a "free" bridgehead. It's also not meant as a replacement for my first idea, just another alternative. 38th is easily one of the most versatile maps.

And yes, the zones can be changed separately. Groank and enohka are working on a tool that lets you do just that.

RangerPL
Major

Postby RangerPL » Thu 31 Jul 2014 23:22

Here's another, more refined 38th Parallel

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Thu 31 Jul 2014 23:28

These ideas are really good.
BUFF USA

Kraxis
Major-General

Postby Kraxis » Thu 31 Jul 2014 23:30

I like it, but both blue sidespawns are significantly further away from the initial spawns than the comparable reds. The left blue side could be moved to around that big farm and I think they match up pretty nicely. The right side doesn't actually need much movement as it has a pretty straight road while the rightside red route is more complicated. Another option would be to move the red side further out, so as to make the sidespawns be more valuable.

[EDIT] Ok, just noticed that there is only one sidespawn each. Then moving the right sidespawn further out and the lower right blue zone a little closer and you have a nice comparable situation. That would make both sidespawns be a comparable distance out, while the two non-spawns will be closer to their starts, again comparably.
[EUG]MadMat wrote:MadMat says so many things ... :twisted:

Custard
First Sergeant

Postby Custard » Fri 1 Aug 2014 13:12

RangerPL wrote:Here's another, more refined 38th Parallel

By far my favourite of all these 38th parallel variants. Having only a single side spawn per flank is a huge improvement.

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Tue 26 Aug 2014 20:04

Sorry for the necropost, but this is a great idea and I'd like to bring it to everyone's attention again, in light of the DLC2 news.
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

Mazz
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Mazz » Tue 26 Aug 2014 20:28

Agreed, changes like this would be the single best thing you can do to reinvigorate a lot of players I used to play the game with. The vast majority simply avoided the river maps after the first couple games, and got real tired of playing the same few, non-naval, not river maps.

Look at 3MI from EE/ALB fame, or the changes made to Summer Blitz after it was ported to ALB (I forget it's ALB name). Rivers splitting the map vertically instead of horizontally has produced way more positive results.

Rivers can have a ton of tactical value, but they shouldn't be used to bottle movement, but add additional vectors of approach. 3MI is the simple biggest example of this.

I agree about the potential for brown water navy units as talked about earlier in the thread though, but for now I'd like to keep the focus just on the zone changes as they will do the most good for how little effort it really entails.
Last edited by Mazz on Tue 26 Aug 2014 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Tue 26 Aug 2014 20:36

RangerPL wrote:Here's another, more refined 38th Parallel

YES.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Tue 26 Aug 2014 20:46

+1
Of Salt

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”