Does this sound familiar to anyone?

DoktorvonWer
General

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Postby DoktorvonWer » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:37

My current gameplay experience, summarised into two examples for broad 'situations':

Offensive Case 1:
  1. Engage in tense fight with enemy over an untaken but contended capture point
  2. Manage to successfully push up with a barrage of smoke and a combined mechanised inf/armoured assault
  3. Push enemy just out of the point, move up reinforcements to cover to try and secure it against counter-attack.
  4. Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Offensive Case 2:
  1. Attack an enemy held capture point, break their first line of defence in cover and push up to 'bite' that cover as a 'beachhead'.
  2. Move recon up, engage stragglers and incoming enemy reinforcements.
  3. Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Defensive Case 1:
  1. Enemy is pressing on a 2-layered fortified hedgeline position.
  2. Your tanks engage, and as they press forward to get good accuracy and penetration on you, you activate all the weapons on hidden ATGMs so they're too close for the enemies to reverse away in time.
  3. Enemy taking losses, decisively losing, T-72 tankspam coming to reinforce. Oh, and as the tankspam arrives, what are those things streaking through the sky?...
  4. ...Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Defensive Case 2:
  1. Organised a retreat as well as you can from a capture point that you just had to sacrifice entirely because the enemy cluster MRLS'd it and there's simply nothing you can do about that.
  2. Moving up reinforcements, resupplying, refuelling and repairing your units that survived the retrea-
  3. ...Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Maybe there's some magical counter to cluster artillery whoring that some particularly astute REDFOR-mechanic expert can reveal to me. And if anyone says 'airstrikes', I'll just laugh.

CandyMan
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Postby CandyMan » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:41

:cry:
Last edited by Graphic on Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unconstructive
Your standard pinko Commie swine...
Rabidnid wrote:NK has a veritable cornucopia of mediocrity to choose from when it comes to inexpensive vehicular recon!

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:42

DoktorvonWer wrote:
Maybe there's some magical counter to cluster artillery whoring that some particularly astute REDFOR-mechanic expert can reveal to me. And if anyone says 'airstrikes', I'll just laugh.

I am not a "particularly astute REDFOR-mechanic expert", but the solution is somewhat easy, play maps with lower unitdensity. Don`t play 2v2 maps with 3 or 4 people, high starting points or high income.

Also, post a replay, it`s beyond me why noone ever does that.

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:43

CandyMan wrote:
Spoiler : :
getgud

Please teach me. Please teach me the l33t skill that can do absolutely anything to protect from cluster MRLS.

Seriously, is it my tactics, my mouse precision, my micromanagement, my unit placement, my deck design? Because surely if I gitgud one of these things will make these magic 'win' button MRLS do nothing to my troops.

Random wrote:I am not a "particularly astute REDFOR-mechanic expert", but the solution is somewhat easy, play maps with lower unitdensity. Don`t play 2v2 maps with 3 or 4 people, high starting points or high income.

I don't tend to play small maps with high unit density, but I wouldn't expect to have to constrain map-choices to compensate for how easily they can be exploited with a given weapon.

I mean, do you remember the uproar about how omg OP Centurions were pre-patch in certain situations? But Cluster MRLS being situationally an auto-win key is perfectly fine?

PzGren
Master Sergeant

Postby PzGren » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:45

Yes. Except I evacuate my objective as soon as I secure it. I have more problem with su24 carpet bomb than clus. Loss to clus is unavoidable. But I keep it to a minimum.

On the flip side. He will have Caesar and tampellas force fed down his throat the entire time.

Just move your things. When you have contact with enemy, start a timer in your head, as arty support is invariably on the way. Disengage and keep moving. Don't move to "secure" objective. The most secure defensive location is often death trap.

duro909
Lieutenant

Postby duro909 » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:45

DoktorvonWer wrote:My current gameplay experience, summarised into two examples for broad 'situations':

Offensive Case 1:
  1. Engage in tense fight with enemy over an untaken but contended capture point
  2. Manage to successfully push up with a barrage of smoke and a combined mechanised inf/armoured assault
  3. Push enemy just out of the point, move up reinforcements to cover to try and secure it against counter-attack.
  4. Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Offensive Case 2:
  1. Attack an enemy held capture point, break their first line of defence in cover and push up to 'bite' that cover as a 'beachhead'.
  2. Move recon up, engage stragglers and incoming enemy reinforcements.
  3. Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Defensive Case 1:
  1. Enemy is pressing on a 2-layered fortified hedgeline position.
  2. Your tanks engage, and as they press forward to get good accuracy and penetration on you, you activate all the weapons on hidden ATGMs so they're too close for the enemies to reverse away in time.
  3. Enemy taking losses, decisively losing, T-72 tankspam coming to reinforce. Oh, and as the tankspam arrives, what are those things streaking through the sky?...
  4. ...Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

Defensive Case 2:
  1. Organised a retreat as well as you can from a capture point that you just had to sacrifice entirely because the enemy cluster MRLS'd it and there's simply nothing you can do about that.
  2. Moving up reinforcements, resupplying, refuelling and repairing your units that survived the retrea-
  3. ...Get Cluster MRLS'd. GG all your units are now panicked and at 1-2 HP, regardless of their armour, you lose.

None any of that you written seems familiar to me.
... and Malware-free banner too!

DoktorvonWer
General

Postby DoktorvonWer » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:46

duro909 wrote:None any of that you written seems familiar to me.

Don't suppose you're the person in possession of the cluster MRLS then :roll:

PzGren wrote:Just move your things.

This is true, but it's a stark choice in many capture zones, due to their small size:

Option 1: Stay still, die.
Option 2: Retreat. Great Now the enemy has the entrenched cover that I had, and I've lost the point I was fighting for with absolutely no effort on the enemy's part at all.

Basically, I can choose to lose, or lose. Great choice for my opponent though, no effort or skill required. Click 'MRLS to win at this location plz' and waltz through.

Also, have you seen the areas they can saturate? Half the time, you have no chance of even retreating out in time.

Snowin
First Sergeant

Postby Snowin » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:51

Most of the time, yes. And put napalm on top of that.

Gunner
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Gunner » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:51

Do not stop in that point!
Keep pushing, and if that is not possible pull back and leave some light screening forces behind to take the pounding.
Rince repeat till you have a large enough force to push up to the next point.
"Semper Paratus"

Darasuum
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Darasuum » Fri 1 Aug 2014 14:55

Depending on what deck you're facing and the deck you're playing you've got a couple of options.
If you are playing with a UK deck or the Commonwealth, use the AS-90 fast aiming sniper cannon to counter his MRLS. Or your own MRLS to up his assault (if you can't beat them, join them??)
If you are playing the France/Germany/Eurokorps, use the Caesar fast aiming sniper cannon to up his MRLS. Or your own MRLS to f*ck up his assault.
If you're playing the USA, use your own sniper MRLS unit to up his MRLS.
If you're playing with the Blue Dragons use your own MRLS to up his units. (No fast aiming sniper cannon in this coalition)
If you're playing with Scandinavia...then I don't know :P

This is all hypothetical as the real chance for counter battery against a certain MRLS can be slim...Just like when you try and counter battery a certain NATO arty piece.

Before the big patch only 3 nations had a really hard to counter support piece. The UK, France and the USA. Now this love has been spread around a bit more to everybody with a MRLS piece that fires a lot of high calibre rockets. You might even say the playing has been levelled a bit more...Whether you like it or not :P
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Fri 1 Aug 2014 19:09, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Language

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”