The Dragons - Changes and Additions

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

The Dragons - Changes and Additions

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:17

I've been wanting to make this thread for some time and seeing some more of the comments today has inspired me to finally do it. I want this thread to be a centralised place to talk about improving and fixing the Dragons, after all, these factions are supposed to be huge part of Red Dragon (who would have guessed).

This thread will be dedicated to improving the Blue and Red Dragon factions, both as coalitions and as nations. Right now there aren't any plans for a DLC 3, but all we can do is hope and give ideas and suggestions. The Dragons right now in-game are under represented and won't even show up in most matches.

Both Blue and Red Dragons sections will be split into two parts; the first part is re-armament/re-roll/re-skin. These are the easiest to implement changes as they normally don't require any model work or changes. Re-armament and re-roll are obvious and what I mean by re-skin of a unit, for example, is the GDR Tunguska. It was re-skinned and added to the GDR in the NSWP DLC and didn't require a new model. The second part is the new additions section, this is the part where we can pool unit ideas that would require new models, therefore however these are very unlikely, so don't get your hopes up.

I will say, that I believe Blue Dragon is slightly better represented and more powerful than Red Dragon at the current time. We need to come together to analyse the problems these Coalitions and Nations have and try sort them out, the more use we can make of section 1 (since it's easier for Eugen to actually do) the better. I will be ignoring naval since that's an entirely different topic, however if Anti-ship jets can be re-rolled to benefit the Dragons, then I'll add it to the list. :)

And mods, if good stuff comes up please edit my OP to add to the list! :D

Blue Dragon
Spoiler : :
Re-armament/re-roll/re-skin:
Kutei '90 CG M2 > PzF3. Japan lacks any serious tank busting infantry, giving Kutei '90 the PzF3 would add some flavour and increased ability. Credit to Sgt._Pepper.

UDT/SEAL M727 Carbine > K1A SMG. UDT/SEAL are pretty awful, adding an SMG would set them apart from Kutei '90 and increase their killing power. Credit to T80U = tankbankai.

UDT/SEAL M60E 'Shorty' > K3 LMG. K3 LMG is just better than the awful M60, which NO SF should be left with.

JGSDF M67 RCL squad > Combat Engineer Troops, armed with a flamethrower. Japs don't need the RCL squad since they have both the Chu-Mat and Hudou-Ren squads, this would give the coalition a flamethrower squad, which they could use. Credit to QUAD.

Re-naming of the Carl Gustav M2 used by Japanese forces to the correct Japanese designation "Howa 84RR".

Re-naming of the FN-minimi used by the Japanese forces to "Sumitomo M249".

If the Panzerfaust 3 was to be used by the Japanese, it should be designated as "110mm LAM". Credit to Darasuum for name changes. :D

M270 MLRS for JGSDF. Brings some long range, high power rocket systems to the BD coalition. Year 1995. Credit to Darasuum.

New Additions:
F-2 ASF for JGSDF. Brings a top tier 50% ECM, 1 elite per card ASF to BD. Would complement the F-15j nicely. Year 1995/1996? Armament Vulcan, 4xAAM 3 and 4xAAM4. Credit to T80U = tankbankai.

Red Dragon
Re-armament/re-roll/re-skin:
Ch'onma-Ho accuracy 30% -> 35%, Ch'onma-Ho II accuracy 35% -> 50%, Ch'onma-Ho IV accuracy 40% -> 60%.

JH-7A 4x PL-11 -> 2 PL-8. Yay for authenticity and a price reduction. Credit to Xeno426.

PF-89 RPM 10 -> 20. Authentic as the RPG is disposable and buffing a rather meh squad (PLA Marines '90). Credit to Mako.

Konkurs infantry for the DPRK. Adds a long range and more capable ATGM to the RD coaltion, which they lack. Year 1988. Credit to feeblzezak.

HQ-61 model copy & paste. Name HQ-12, armed with 2, 55%, 9HE, 2800m anti-helo, 4550m anti-jet missiles. Autonomy and speed stats stay the same, price 70pts. Year 1989. Credit to another505.

New Additions:
HQ-64 for the PLA, brings increased accuracy over the HQ-61/Pongae-2 and 4 missiles instead of 2. Greatly increases the effectiveness of RD to combat jets and helos alike. It would have Tor like stats on a wheeled chassis. Year 1994.

PLZ45 for the PLA. Brings a modern artillery piece with modern FCS 10 second aim time. Year 1995.

M1991 MLRS for the DPRK. Brings a long range large calibre MLRS system to RD, rather odd that this is omitted from the Red Dragons. Could possibly be armed with cluster munitions (with the 1985 MLRS, same 240mm on grad truck could be HE). Year 1991. Credit to Grabbed_By_The_Spets.

The Bin, units that came up and were denied
HJ-8 for the PLA. Brings a real modern infantry based ATGM to RD. Year late 1980's. Credit to Firefly.

T-62 Obr.1972 with add-on brow armour for the DPRK. Right now the T-62D is redundant. Change it into a NK T-62M without ATGM capability and increase frontal armour, low point meat-shield tank. Year 1979, not prototype.

Victory podium! Units that were suggested and successfully made it into the game.
K-9 Thunder for ROK. Brings a top tier, modern artillery piece to the BD coalition. Year 1994. Credit to Darasuum.

M1992 SPAAG for the DPRK. Brings a 30mm radar guided SPAAG to the DPRK, not really needed for the coalition, but very nice for the DPRK. Year late 1989.

Type 96 APC for JGSDF. Brings a fast, somewhat armoured carrier to the Japanese, for wheeled transport they rely exclusively on the HMV. Year 1995. Could also come in a second, more expensive variant armed with a grenade launcher (Howa Type 96 40mm). Credit to Darasuum for the second variant idea.
Last edited by Sweedish_Gunner on Sun 7 Sep 2014 20:10, edited 51 times in total.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: The Dragons - Changes and Additions

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:31

As in, entirely new units? or just modified ones already in game.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:35

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:As in, entirely new units? or just modified ones already in game.

Both, hence why I made 2 sections. One for re-arming units, re-rolling them or re-skinning them (copy paste models) and one part for entirely new units that probably won't happen but we want anyway.

Edit: both coalitions completely lack any modern artillery with the 10 sec aiming time, do we have any contenders for either Blue or Red?

JalapenoPaul713
Sergeant First-Class

Postby JalapenoPaul713 » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:44

South Korea has the K9 Thunder which people have been requesting since beta. But Eugen has an aversion to adding new units so I don't know what good bringing it up will do.

Firefly
Warrant Officer

Postby Firefly » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:46

The lack of ATGMs is one of the biggest problems of the Chinese. There's a solution though...

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:47

JalapenoPaul713 wrote:South Korea has the K9 Thunder which people have been requesting since beta. But Eugen has an aversion to adding new units so I don't know what good bringing it up will do.

I'm getting 1998 for prototypes and 1999 for deliveries, that'd make it OOTF sadly. :(

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:50

Firefly wrote:The lack of ATGMs is one of the biggest problems of the Chinese. There's a solution though...

"The HJ-8 is a combination many experts believe of three Western antitank missile systems obtained from nations in the Middle East and Asia that were then examined and reverse engineered and modified: the tripod from the US BGM-71 TOW; the tracker-control unit from the French/German MILAN; and the missile from the UK Swingfire.[6]"
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

JalapenoPaul713
Sergeant First-Class

Postby JalapenoPaul713 » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:51

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:
JalapenoPaul713 wrote:South Korea has the K9 Thunder which people have been requesting since beta. But Eugen has an aversion to adding new units so I don't know what good bringing it up will do.

I'm getting 1998 for prototypes and 1999 for deliveries, that'd make it OOTF sadly. :(

Design began 1989 which would put it on a similar time frame as the Caesar, with the design beginning before the Soviet Union fell but being extended because there was less need. It was also put into full production before the Caesar so I would say it fits.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Mon 18 Aug 2014 22:54

JalapenoPaul713 wrote:
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:

Design began 1989 which would put it on a similar time frame as the Caesar, with the design beginning before the Soviet Union fell but being extended because there was less need. It was also put into full production before the Caesar so I would say it fits.

There's also the Japanese Type 99 SPG, but as you may guess, introduced in '99.

JalapenoPaul713
Sergeant First-Class

Postby JalapenoPaul713 » Mon 18 Aug 2014 23:00

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:There's also the Japanese Type 99 SPG, but as you may guess, introduced in '99.

I'm trying to find a better source but Wikipedia says that the Type 99 was designed 1985, so unless it took nearly 15 years to get a working prototype it could be in time frame.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”