ATACMS counter?

Azaz3l
Brigadier

ATACMS counter?

Postby Azaz3l » Tue 26 Aug 2014 15:49

Is there really any way to counter ATACMS? Don't tell me "move your units" etc. You CANNOT overwatch the entire battlefield just to spot a bunch of pixels far away while trying to micro EVERY unit of yours.
Countering ATACMS with arty is almost impossible. All you have to do with ATACMS is just camp near a FOB; launch one pinpoint accurate missile of doom which is ultimate point and click heavy tank removal device; move away from your previous location.
It takes too much ressources? Please, one ATACMS rocket is around 800 supply, now go calculate how many of those rockets a FOB can provide, 16000/800 = 20 that's just enough for your entire game duration (not to mention additional supply trucks if needed).
Too long reload time? You get 2 ATACMS per card, just queue them up.

TL;DR: Add the ability to top AA to be able to shoot down incoming ATACMS missiles. On Redfor side Tunguska/Tor had that ability IRL, I dunno about Blufor side (someone will be kind enough to tell me).

duro909
Lieutenant

Re: ATACMS counter?

Postby duro909 » Tue 26 Aug 2014 15:56

Azaz3l wrote:Is there really any way to counter ATACMS? Don't tell me "move your units" etc. You CANNOT overwatch the entire battlefield just to spot a bunch of pixels far away while trying to micro EVERY unit of yours.
Countering ATACMS with arty is almost impossible. All you have to do with ATACMS is just camp near a FOB; launch one pinpoint accurate missile of doom which is ultimate point and click heavy tank removal device; move away from your previous location.
It takes too much ressources? Please, one ATACMS rocket is around 800 supply, now go calculate how many of those rockets a FOB can provide, 16000/800 = 20 that's just enough for your entire game duration (not to mention additional supply trucks if needed).
Too long reload time? You get 2 ATACMS per card, just queue them up.

TL;DR: Add the ability to top AA to be able to shoot down incoming ATACMS missiles. On Redfor side Tunguska/Tor had that ability IRL, I dunno about Blufor side (someone will be kind enough to tell me).

You have allready answered yourself in your post - "move your units" (sorry to say that).
But you are obviously not willing to do that so at least keep your units spreaded out and most expensive tanks a little behind your line (so opponent wont see them thus couldnt snipe them). Thats what I do most often.
Another thing would be to infiltrate with your SF and light up his ATACMS, but against competent player thats too difficult.
Last edited by duro909 on Tue 26 Aug 2014 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
... and Malware-free banner too!

Edzard
Sergeant

Postby Edzard » Tue 26 Aug 2014 15:57

I feel your pain, and it's a good point. I have not found a counter, but I often place my expensive units behind forest cover (in the open!) ready to move into their front positions should there be an attack.
IM NOT GONNA STAND FOR IT
stop or you face the consequences!

duro909
Lieutenant

Postby duro909 » Tue 26 Aug 2014 15:57

Edzard wrote:I feel your pain, and it's a good point. I have not found a counter, but I often place my expensive units behind forest cover (in the open!) ready to move into their front positions should there be an attack.

Exactly this +1
... and Malware-free banner too!

saber2243
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby saber2243 » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:11

And the reload time is a pretty serious concern, along with the travel time of the missile makes it impossible to hit moving targets or do counter battery vs anybody who knows what they are doing. It is the single most horrific murderer of Tree forts in the game, but it doesn't touch inf and has a small radius. TBH- I feel like the smerch is far more deadly and much closer to being OP, (and I play PACT).
Peace through Superior Firepower

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:12

Cluster MLRS of your own can help. Sure you would be more lucky than anything else if you manage to hit ATACMS of someone that knows how to use it, but still.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:19

The only real counter to competently played artillery of any kind is to move.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Yakhont
Colonel

Postby Yakhont » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:38

I think one reliable way is to infiltrate recon and cut off the FOB, which is usually a given for any significant arty use, using long range arty and MLRS.

Mumbles
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mumbles » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:39

You can never know where your opponent is looking, and the ATACMS can reach any point on any map in the game. The only defense is to constantly move every single one of your units at all times.

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Tue 26 Aug 2014 16:48

You drive there with your T-72 and freaking shoot it. As simple as that!
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”