V-22 Osprey

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: V-22 Osprey

Postby orcbuster » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:05

BigLou101 wrote:
orcbuster wrote:V-22 would not add anything that current helicopters aren't already doing. The range is to short for it's party trick to be relevant. On top of it all it would be armed worse.

Actually the V-22 Osprey has multiple machine guns on it and it goes over 500km so its better than other helicopters speed. So if i want to get my infantry at the start of the game to a contested town then is what I would go with.

Except that would require a whole new seperate mechanic for a single model and is only used for longer distances anyway (I.E. longer than the ones seen in wargame)

As for armaments it would be without the improvised belly weapon station and a single M240 rear MG which would be the single most useless Heli MG in the game.

Trust me, it won't happen.
Viker for ingen!

BigLou101
Corporal

Postby BigLou101 » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:20

orcbuster wrote:
BigLou101 wrote:
orcbuster wrote:V-22 would not add anything that current helicopters aren't already doing. The range is to short for it's party trick to be relevant. On top of it all it would be armed worse.

Actually the V-22 Osprey has multiple machine guns on it and it goes over 500km so its better than other helicopters speed. So if i want to get my infantry at the start of the game to a contested town then is what I would go with.

Except that would require a whole new seperate mechanic for a single model and is only used for longer distances anyway (I.E. longer than the ones seen in wargame)

As for armaments it would be without the improvised belly weapon station and a single M240 rear MG which would be the single most useless Heli MG in the game.

Trust me, it won't happen.

Did they ever say it wasn't going to be in the game like they did for 5th gen fighters? No. Also they Osprey has a gun on the nose of the aircraft and even if they don't put armaments on it really doesn't need it since it is two times faster than the other helicopters. This would allow me to get infantry across the map a lot faster than using roads especially on big maps. The maps more than big enough for the Osprey

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:23

They have plainly stated that no new mechanics will be added. That includes tiltrotors and VTOL aircraft.

And the nose gunpod did not exist on early versions of the aircraft.

All in all. 100% cartain that it won't be added.
Viker for ingen!

Mumbles
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Mumbles » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:25

BigLou101 wrote:Also they Osprey has a gun on the nose of the aircraft

Where? Are you mistaking the radar/refueling probe for a cannon?

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:25

BigLou101 wrote:
griffor wrote:it wasn't used for any sort of combat operations till Afghanistan though so i doubt we would see it

The EuroFighter never saw combat and neither has Japans whole military or the majority of Sweden's military.

It's one thing with nations at peace still having drills and manuvers where vehicles are used and practiced with the intention of being used. Another to have a vehicle that no soldiers used even during a training exercise. V-22 had issues that needed tuning and only entered service this century, so is way out of the time frame.

Mazz
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Mazz » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:37

Too much effort for very little gain.

On a side note, the modern V-22 has turned into a pretty useful and safe aircraft. It had some bad testing accidents but it also had some of the most unique aerodynamic challenges to overcome. It certainly was costly, but it does provide a lot of useful capability most regular helos cannot, especially hot/high.
Last edited by Mazz on Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

BigLou101
Corporal

Postby BigLou101 » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:39

Znail wrote:
BigLou101 wrote:
griffor wrote:it wasn't used for any sort of combat operations till Afghanistan though so i doubt we would see it

The EuroFighter never saw combat and neither has Japans whole military or the majority of Sweden's military.

It's one thing with nations at peace still having drills and manuvers where vehicles are used and practiced with the intention of being used. Another to have a vehicle that no soldiers used even during a training exercise. V-22 had issues that needed tuning and only entered service this century, so is way out of the time frame.

The Osprey has been flown since 1989 and its been flown with the intention of it being used or they wouldn't have created it. The Eurofighter entered service in 2003 so you can say its out of the timeframe too just like the Dassault Rafale did in 2001.

BigLou101
Corporal

Postby BigLou101 » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:49

Mumbles wrote:
BigLou101 wrote:Also they Osprey has a gun on the nose of the aircraft

Where? Are you mistaking the radar/refueling probe for a cannon?

I did confuse the two but it doesn't need weapons since it will get away from the other helicopters.

BigLou101
Corporal

Postby BigLou101 » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:52

Mazz wrote:Too much effort for very little gain.

On a side note, the modern V-22 has turned into a pretty useful and safe aircraft. It had some bad testing accidents but it also had some of the most unique aerodynamic challenges to overcome. It certainly was costly, but it does provide a lot of useful capability most regular helos cannot, especially hot/high.

You could say the same with the Anti ship vehicles that were just added since they are easily destroyed by the small boats they can't target and the large ships that go in groups. they are only effective against a lone ship.

Mazz
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Mazz » Thu 28 Aug 2014 15:55

I'm going to let you know right now you're much better off accepting it won't get in because the devs simply don't go out of their way to add models of things that don't add essential value or is a currently existing asset. As far as necessities, a new marine transport is basically at the bottom of the list.

I absolutely wouldn't mind seeing it because I like the V-22, but from my experience on these forums, take my advice: don't bother.