British Units You Wish Had Made it into Wargame!

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: British Units You Wish Had Made it into Wargame!

Postby BeyondNight » Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:46

KillaJules wrote:Warrior VERDI 2 would be the most interesting and versatile addition for the UK IMO. The more I think about it the more I want it. :cry:

GBNATO wrote:VDAA is okay though I think, it was ordered by the French army and does provide an amphibious, wheeled SPAAG for Marine forces.

The VDAA is pretty bad since it can't shoot on the move. I'd support a buff giving it a stabiliser so that it can be used more aggressively. It doesn't have the range to serve any other role. Would a stabiliser be historical?

elmoking wrote:One thing I think is interesting is that UK did not get a MAW or a flamethrower unit, likely because CW got them. It didnt get any 15 man infantry teams either, and doesnt have a mtn infantry with atgm. The best thing for British deck is divorce from Commonwealth tbh. Its gimped by the coalition.

Whaaaa . . . ? :shock:

British infantry are certainly not gimped, they are great. Lacking in flavour a bit but definitely not weak. I also don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the UK over the Commonwealth, the empire is way cooler than just Britain on its own and it still maintains that unique British flavour.

Agreed, My Commonwealth Motorized deck has caused many tears.
Spoiler : :

Brutoni
Colonel

Postby Brutoni » Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:47

Mitchverr wrote:
Brutoni wrote:None of the units above were unrelated to the UK army. Most were tested by the army at various points.

The following were not trialled or aimed for the UK(afaik), but many were inspired by a "hope" to sell the the British army or at least were built to fit a goal the army had at the time.

Vickers Mk.11 LRPV - australians tested though
Alvis PLC - i dont think this varient was ever intended for the UK
GNK Simba
FV4005 Conway - afaik that was just a mockup in the picture wasnt it?
Vickers 3i
Vickers (Valiant) Mk.4
Vickers VFM-5
Vickers Mk.7 - originally was aimed for it but the British Army had to buy challenger and thus it was obviously not going to happen.

The Vickers were will all put to tender and trialled to some degree by the army I thought?

Also type 12 is whitby class, not Leander class, Leander is type 12I (I for improved :))

That is like saying a Type 42 Batch 3 is not a Type 42. Correct depending on how much granularity one wishes to go down to. My bad for not pointing this out to GBNATO but I don't think we need to get that picky over the ships given that we are pretty much doomed to not get a naval DLC or any naval additions.

[EUG]MadMat wrote:And, unlike the Marksmen, they did not cover a blatant gap in the armory, hence no need to rely on them.

Same goes with all the prototypes in the mirrored "missing" French vehicle thread.

Sorry. Your statement is a blanket one and IMHO totally incorrect. Just to start.

Scorpion is a very light tank and barely fulfils that role. So the Vickers class tanks (Mk.4 and VFM-5) would have all offered a proper light tank option to the UK AND CW which is missing.

Orignally the Warrior ATGM options were all missing. And with no ATGM IFV in the CW that was also a problem.

WAH-64 would have been just in time frame and far more suited as a proper Gunship for the CW without using a prototype that was never bought and didn't even come to fruition (as much as I love the Lynx 3).
Last edited by Brutoni on Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Darkstar387
Warrant Officer

Postby Darkstar387 » Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:48

I vote the Warrior VERDI. Make it an anti-air reconnaissance vehicle, emphasizing the commonwealth's multi-role flavor (ADATS + Stormer) and give it the prototype status, limiting it's availability to 0/6/4/2/0.

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:49

Brutoni wrote:The Vickers were will all put to tender and trialled to some degree by the army I thought?

Also type 12 is whitby class, not Leander class, Leander is type 12I (I for improved :))

That is like saying a Type 42 Batch 3 is not a Type 42. Correct depending on how much granularity one wishes to go down to. My bad for not pointing this out to GBNATO but I don't think we need to get that picky over the ships given that we are pretty much doomed to not get a naval DLC or any naval additions.

Some were presented and "trialled" by vickers/BA for the army, however i dont believe the army actually trialled themselves. Though i guess thats kinda semantics to a degree.

Last bit fair enough i guess, though they do have different ID's tbf :p

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Fri 5 Sep 2014 16:56

Brutoni wrote:I don't think we need to get that picky over the ships given that we are pretty much doomed to not get a naval DLC or any naval additions.

Oh don't worry, I never had any notions to the contrary but if I am going to build a monument to lost, damn it I will do it right!

Mikeboy
General

Postby Mikeboy » Fri 5 Sep 2014 20:07

[EUG]MadMat wrote:VPM-120 covers the lack of SP-mortar.

That's a pretty poor reason when as far as I'm aware there was a non-prototype VAB 81mm mortar carrier in service with the French Army.

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Britain got its Finnish Marksmen & Iranian Rapier, ANZAC the Scorpion 90, Canada once again stole prototypes from its allies (armed Hueys, Marksman, ...), half of China's tank roaster are export ones, ...

Tracked Rapier while originally made for Iran entered full service with the British Army after the Islamic Revolution. You know that.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Fri 5 Sep 2014 20:31

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Brutoni wrote:None of the units above were unrelated to the UK army. Most were tested by the army at various points.

And, unlike the Marksmen, they did not cover a blatant gap in the armory, hence no need to rely on them.

Same goes with all the prototypes in the mirrored "missing" French vehicle thread.

No blatant gaps like the absence of a high ecm iron bomber, F&F Atgm plane, modern ifv's, accurate high ap atgm tank destroyers, higher tier light tanks/mbts to bridge the amx40 -> Leclerc gap.

Yes I know its euro corps..... Coalition balance etc but national decks are just all really starting to look gap toothed these days, there is interesting, integral stuff that actually served that just isn't making it in to the game.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Fri 5 Sep 2014 23:07

Not having an AGM is authentic, it was not commensurate with RAF doctrine. AGM capability was not needed or wanted on RAF aircraft. The reason? RAF aircraft would be operating well under the radar screen, which makes AGMs and their impressive standoff range a bit useless.

Majorpain
Master Sergeant

Postby Majorpain » Fri 5 Sep 2014 23:20

Drang wrote:Not having an AGM is authentic, it was not commensurate with RAF doctrine. AGM capability was not needed or wanted on RAF aircraft. The reason? RAF aircraft would be operating well under the radar screen, which makes AGMs and their impressive standoff range a bit useless.

Under the radar screen, under the treeline more like! A quick pop up to drop a load of clusters on Ivans tankies then out of there before the shilkas get a bead on you!

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Sat 6 Sep 2014 00:05

Was actually referring to France
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”