Will we get Cluster Arty modification?

SpeisCheese
Captain

Will we get Cluster Arty modification?

Postby SpeisCheese » Sat 13 Sep 2014 14:24

Instead of nerfing usual arties all the time, you should nerf these ones:
Cluster arty ruins the entire gameplay. How do you want to attack another sector if you get cluster above your head? Defending is useless too. I lost my 10 LEopard 2 and other recon tanks not because of higher end tiers tanks, but because of cluster arty spam. It is the 1000th thread that tells about how clusters are annoying. Naturally there are other players who defend cluster arty, but how is it if you get 500 rockets above your head too?

I don't complain about arties like Mista or mortars, they have to be in this game, but clusters? Really? ATAMCS is okay, because it has just 2 rockets, but SMERCHS and MARS? I recommend to all Wargame fan to play ALB, I had more fun with this than with WRD. 70% of my rage quitting is because of endless waves of Smerchs(my maximum was 7, then I left). These rocket arties are too cost effective which means that they are 10 times less expensive then they should be(naturally if a player is too dumb to pay attention to his arty, then it isn't cost effective, but there are mostly veterans in WRD so it is rare)

One idea would be to make 1 rocket equal 1000L for a FOB, because they don't eat enough of FOB resources.
Another idea would be to remove this completely "idiotic" 30 seconds aiming. This doesn't prevent from arty spam, but it is more a nuissance for the player with arty, and totally useless for the ennemy, because the ennemy dont know that the player is aiming at him, so why these 30 seconds? How do you want to protect yourself from other arties? It is rare that players dont move their arty after a strike...so please remove this endless waiting for aiming. This destroys my fun, and it destroys the fun of other players which got cluster spammed too. We are unable to protect ourself from them. I won't play WRD for a certain time because I experienced seeing too many of them since the last DLC/Patch.

P.S. Thanks for the title MadMat.
Last edited by SpeisCheese on Sat 13 Sep 2014 14:40, edited 3 times in total.

D-M

Re: Will we get Cluster Arty modification?

Postby D-M » Sat 13 Sep 2014 14:38

Everytimes I see someone using RM cluster MLRS from this far away, I can't help but grin : it looks nice but hardly do any damage to anything a bit armored. A waste of points and ressources. And A simple quick firing arty can tear them apart way before the firework ends.

MARS, Uragan and Smerch are another problem.

SpeisCheese
Captain

Postby SpeisCheese » Sat 13 Sep 2014 14:40

D-M wrote:Everytimes I see someone using RM cluster MLRS from this far away, I can't help but grin : it looks nice but hardly do any damage to anything a bit armored. A waste of points and ressources.

Just what about 2 x 3 Smerchs squads. It's like a zombie wave. First the one which destroys your walls, and the second killing all your soldiers. And the only one would be Caesar or other NATO high end arties. But they take 10 seconds. Veteran players have no problem to move the Smerch(the fastest of all cluster arties) away from the fire zone.

Nick Echo
Master Sergeant

Postby Nick Echo » Sat 13 Sep 2014 16:46

D-M wrote:Everytimes I see someone using RM cluster MLRS from this far away, I can't help but grin : it looks nice but hardly do any damage to anything a bit armored. A waste of points and ressources. And A simple quick firing arty can tear them apart way before the firework ends.

On some smaller maps that have predictable choke points, even RM clusters can shut down the road at the beginning of the match, if timed perfectly. Sure, its low AP will only do morale damage to armored units with little real harm done, and if a casualty happens, it will be an apc or unarmored truck. However, it will be enough to delay an entire column, or even score a few kills and damage everything else if the column tries to move trough, effectively giving the firing players team to move into position and set up defenses in peace. MARS and Smerch are a different issue. Map size is unimportant for them, and when timed well, they will do real damage and delay the moving force for a long, long time. When timed perfectly, most non tank units will die. Happened to me a few times until I figured to stop my forces for 5-ish seconds to see where the rockets are going. A couple of times a single Smerch on such choke point heavy maps was able to fire perfectly, harming my teammates 150 km/h assets and giving them nowhere to go but forward (damn you for most bridges, eugen), into the maws of the enemy where they got annihilated. Meanwhile the heavier assets were lagging behind, taking their chill pills from the moral damage, and waiting for the barrage to end. That single barrage gave the enemy at-least a third of our force for free, and allowed the enemy to take control of a fairly important point uncontested. It is essentially ALB style napalm run on the roads, except you can't shoot the unit that's doing it before or after it did that.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Sat 13 Sep 2014 17:45

They have their place, but they are mainly good against static targets, chokes, and easy to predict unit paths.

Poptart Lover
Lieutenant

Postby Poptart Lover » Sat 13 Sep 2014 17:57

D-M wrote:Everytimes I see someone using RM cluster MLRS from this far away, I can't help but grin :

Same, unless it's on my team then it turns into a frown. :lol:

When I see someone on my team in 10v10 who spams cluster or rocket artillery, I ask the admin if I can TK all that useless garbage that is about to suck up everyones FOBs.

People who spam artillery do nothing for their team but waste supplies and points.
Image I don't support 100x PX size!

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Sat 13 Sep 2014 18:00

The worst recent cluster arty experience ive had was against the chinese grads. The player would blanket a sector at a time, killing my jeep cv and anything else with 0_1 top armor.

To get them back, i killed 4 danas with one atacms ;)

All in all, cluster arty is annoying, and could definitely use a supply/availability nerf, but a damage nerf would put it firmly into the halls of the unused.

I just actually took out the mars in my eurocorp for the vab morter, caesars being plenty good for CB, but firmly keeping smerches/urugan for my red decks. Msta just doesnt counterbattery well enough.
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

Kolovrat
Lieutenant

Postby Kolovrat » Sat 13 Sep 2014 18:20

Cluster arty is almost useless in 1x1 (if map is not too tiny), has its place in 2x2 and start to be dominating in 4x4+ games. So, you either nerf it to oblivion in less than 3x3 or it is imba in 4x4+.

The only way i see to sail between Scilla and Kharibdae - is to futher increase its supply cost (about x1.5), aiming time (about +5 seconds) and reloading time (about +10 seconds) AND - the most important - remove support decks at all. No sense in nerfs if you can take several fobs and half a hundred of trucks.

kaoz
Master Sergeant

Postby kaoz » Sat 13 Sep 2014 18:26

op played 10v10 and complains about cluster arty spam :? thats new
well perhaps there should be a nerf for all units on field if its 10v10? all reduced by 20% and arty by 50%
less spam then.
and you have to make a new deck for 10v10

bin.zwieda
Second-Lieutenant

Postby bin.zwieda » Sat 13 Sep 2014 18:36

there would be some more or less simple solutions...

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=48437

or even better

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=48031&hilit=limit+the+number+of+fielded

the second one would solve any size of matches (1v1 - 10v10), the first would highly reduce the spam.
the second would need some coding work to be done (so it´s leess likely to be done), the first just needs some corrections ov availibility.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”