Ranked map pool

triumph
Major

Ranked map pool

Postby triumph » Wed 17 Sep 2014 20:56

I want the guys who love ranked to chime in here about the ranked map pool.
We know that the devs are able to make zone changes. They may also fix unfair or broken city blocks if those are pointed out.
This is a conversation that needs to happen now, before the scandi DLC.
I feel this will revitalize RD as a sporting game.

What I would like to see from you guys is:
Does the map work for 1v1 and why?
Does the map work for 2v2 and why?
(overall what what makes it a competitive map or not? size, zones,distances, cover, round start or reinforcement spawn timings.)
What would you change to make it fun and fair.

Here is our handy dandy steam guide so you can put a picture with a name:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =240555889
Feel free to go to town with an image editor of your choice. Click the guides HD links and draw the problem areas if you don't want to use your own screen shots from replays.
imgur.com is your friend if you want to upload a detailed description.
Transcend Excellence

D-M

Re: Ranked map pool

Postby D-M » Wed 17 Sep 2014 23:14

Map changes ? You want to make some map change or whole new map ? Cause I remind you that none ( none as in zero, nada, rien, null) are competitive, not even slightly. And they will never be, they just can't, no matter how hard you can dream.
What competitive games need are symmetric maps, like those in WEE.

Well, I know it won't happen but I don't really care, I 'm not saying this for WRD, rather for AoA.

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Wed 17 Sep 2014 23:57

D-M wrote:Well, I know it won't happen but I don't really care, I 'm not saying this for WRD, rather for AoA.

It'd be nice to have more than four playable maps without having to wait for and buy a whole new game.

The map situation in WRD is just atrocious and it's absurd that "meh, I'll just wait for AoA" is an opinion people actually have.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Thu 18 Sep 2014 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language

D-M

Postby D-M » Thu 18 Sep 2014 00:00

Indeed, but if we have some... I highly doubt they 'll be competitive, that's clearly hasn't been the priority for WAB and WRD, hence why I hope a new IP will bring back actual mp maps.

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Thu 18 Sep 2014 00:02

Just "playable and not bisected by a river in the middle" is fine by me.

griffor
Second-Lieutenant

Postby griffor » Thu 18 Sep 2014 00:08

D-M wrote:Indeed, but if we have some... I highly doubt they 'll be competitive, that's clearly hasn't been the priority for WAB and WRD, hence why I hope a new IP will bring back actual mp maps.

i like how your optimistic about aoa even though the last 2 games eugen put out had cruddy maps, aoa may have good maps, but based on track record from previous games it will more than likely be maps are fine and we are working on aoa expansion, here a free dlc with units no one asked for to break the game, we decided maps weren't important enough
I long for death, not because I seek peace, but because I seek the war eternal.

-Reflections on the Long Death

D-M

Postby D-M » Thu 18 Sep 2014 00:10

Based on previous games, they made awesome maps for WEE and RUSE, so yeah, I can be a bit optimistic about AoA.

Random
Captain

Postby Random » Thu 18 Sep 2014 02:20

D-M wrote:Map changes ? You want to make some map change or whole new map ? Cause I remind you that none ( none as in zero, nada, rien, null) are competitive, not even slightly. And they will never be, they just can't, no matter how hard you can dream.
What competitive games need are symmetric maps, like those in WEE.

Well, I know it won't happen but I don't really care, I 'm not saying this for WRD, rather for AoA.

Of course non-symetrical maps could be very close to perfectly balanced, it`s just that many of them happen to not be.

fenchurch
Sergeant

Postby fenchurch » Thu 18 Sep 2014 03:38

I oppose symmetrical maps and i also oppose strictly balanced maps.

Unbalanced maps are not a really huge problem for ranked in general as you are going to play both sides and the asymmetrical layout allows for a far greater tactical depth.

So the most pressing issue for me in ranked is the lack of players and the low diversity in maps.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Thu 18 Sep 2014 06:58

Ranked map pool is too small imo,
2v2s are rare to play, and leaves you with mostly little 1v1 maps for the matches. So not much diversity.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”