Teams and randoms (pub stomping)

dalailama2006
Sergeant

Teams and randoms (pub stomping)

Postby dalailama2006 » Mon 6 Oct 2014 21:37

So I thought we might get a discussion going regarding teams and randoms. That is, people who play together with voice coms against players who do not, aka "pub stomping".

It seems to me that a lot of people have this idea that everyone who plays in a team against randoms, does this just to artificially raise their stats, something I vehemently disagree with.

Now we all know that it can take quite a while to get a game going sometimes, and though I can not speak for everyone, I think that a great many more than the aforementioned people realize choose to simply play against anyone to limit this time. This is at least true for my part.

Razzmann
General

Re: Teams and randoms (pub stomping)

Postby Razzmann » Mon 6 Oct 2014 21:42

Most of the time I play with my friends, i.e. as a team. When playing alone, it is nearly impossible to find a lobby without teams. (Maybe there should be random matchmaking as well...)
When I host a lobby (with my friends) I always try to play against a team. Because why should I play the game just to get better stats? I want a challenging, fun game, not a boring one where we just overrun the enemies.

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 6 Oct 2014 21:50

dalailama2006 wrote:It seems to me that a lot of people have this idea that everyone who plays in a team against randoms, does this just to artificially raise their stats, something I vehemently disagree with.

I think the reason you've heard this a lot is because we've had a lot of discussion of the "View Profile" button, and this assertion can be used in an easy argument against the button.

Personally, I think that's pretty far down on the list of probable motivations. Desire to not have unskilled teammates, desire to win, desire to play with friends, and desire to control the game settings (thus, hosting your own team game instead of joining other team's games) almost certainly top reasons that drive Wargame's awful solo-player multiplayer experience.

dalailama2006
Sergeant

Postby dalailama2006 » Mon 6 Oct 2014 21:55

Razzmann wrote:Most of the time I play with my friends, i.e. as a team. When playing alone, it is nearly impossible to find a lobby without teams. (Maybe there should be random matchmaking as well...)
When I host a lobby (with my friends) I always try to play against a team. Because why should I play the game just to get better stats? I want a challenging, fun game, not a boring one where we just overrun the enemies.

What I'm saying though is that just because you play as a team against randoms doesn't mean you're "just trying to get better stats". To me it's a perfect opportunity to try new or even stupid things, just for the hell of it. Sure it's nice with a challenge but with the wait times being what they are I find it hard to care too much.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:01

dalailama2006 wrote:
What I'm saying though is that just because you play as a team against randoms doesn't mean you're "just trying to get better stats". To me it's a perfect opportunity to try new or even stupid things, just for the hell of it. Sure it's nice with a challenge but with the wait times being what they are I find it hard to care too much.

When I want to try out stupid things, I do that against some friends. Just randomize which deck and which units you have to use. It's hilarious :lol:

deadnation
Command Sergeant Major

Postby deadnation » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:07

When i play with my friends one of us create a lobby we all join and we start waiting for other players to join and we go throught other groups we know to get team agains us. Same time one of us go throught other lobbies and try find one were we can get to same side. Then we take the first match we catch, sometimes its 10vs10, some times 4vs4 agains other team and some times 4vs4 agains randoms (pub stomping). We accept people with all kind of stats. If enemy team ask to wait for better teammate we do it if there is lots of players online. We only want to get game as fast as we can.

We need new matchmaking system. Something like:
if you are playing alone it will throw you in to lobby or agains other players.
you could select some settings like: Gamemode, naval/mixed/land, 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, 4-10vs4-10, nato/pact/both... Then it put one to host and all one could choose deck and one of them (maybe host) choose map.

Same with teams but you just sign in with multiple people and same settings as if you were alone.

Or we can just remove that view stats button....

dalailama2006
Sergeant

Postby dalailama2006 » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:08

Razzmann wrote:When I want to try out stupid things, I do that against some friends. Just randomize which deck and which units you have to use. It's hilarious :lol:

Unfortunately my friends prefer not to play against me. Besides it can be useful to play with someone you dont know when trying new things, and if you have good communication you might have a good game even if it turned out to be a very bad idea.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:12

dalailama2006 wrote:if you have good communication

Thats probably the biggest problem when playing with randoms :roll: :?

fiese_moep
Warrant Officer

Postby fiese_moep » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:18

Its not easy to find enemys with a team. If you join game against another team.

If you join a server with other an other team in 50 % of the cases you ll get kicked.
Last edited by fiese_moep on Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Mon 6 Oct 2014 22:18

Browse through MP lobbies and you'll find games where every player in the lobby is on the same side. They'll all have 5/1 W/L ratios, and are almost certainly on mic with each other. Funnily enough, about half the lobbies will be all Nato, and half will be all Pact, leading you to ask why they don't just play each other. Oh wait, that might be a fair fight.

Very few of them are brave enough to actually play other teams; instead they prefer to stomp on a load of un-coordinated random players. I even saw a lobby called 'Noobs welcome' that had all players on NATO, all with clan tags and 6/1 W/Ls.

It's really bad.
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”