BLUFOR TOW Infantry

Chosimba
First Sergeant

Re: US TOW Infantry

Postby Chosimba » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:38

:(
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TOS

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:39

I'm going to quote myself from the american units thread:

libbmaster wrote:
Mike wrote:Because it's heavy, or so they say :P

This site puts the weight of a Launcher (plus tripod) built to accommodate TOW-2 rounds at 204.6 pounds (92.89 kilograms).

For referencethis site puts the weight of the mistral's launcher (tripod not included) at 24 Kg.

While I couldn't find specifications for the mistral's "chair, judging from the third picture down on the site mentioned above, the chair probably weights as much, if not more than the launcher.

Even accounting for that, a fully assembled mistral would clock in at 48 Kg, roughly half the weight of an assembled TOW system. (Not to mention that it's ammo is significantly lighter too).

EDIT: I feel like there is good reason to exclude the TOW.

Javelin is one thing. But the TOW is not "man-portable", at least in the scope of RD.

Chosimba
First Sergeant

Postby Chosimba » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:47

:(
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TOS

Chosimba
First Sergeant

Postby Chosimba » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:48

libbmaster wrote:I'm going to quote myself from the american units thread:

libbmaster wrote:
Mike wrote:Because it's heavy, or so they say :P

This site puts the weight of a Launcher (plus tripod) built to accommodate TOW-2 rounds at 204.6 pounds (92.89 kilograms).

For referencethis site puts the weight of the mistral's launcher (tripod not included) at 24 Kg.

While I couldn't find specifications for the mistral's "chair, judging from the third picture down on the site mentioned above, the chair probably weights as much, if not more than the launcher.

Even accounting for that, a fully assembled mistral would clock in at 48 Kg, roughly half the weight of an assembled TOW system. (Not to mention that it's ammo is significantly lighter too).

EDIT: I feel like there is good reason to exclude the TOW.

Javelin is one thing. But the TOW is not "man-portable", at least in the scope of RD.

Except it is man-portable in the scope of RD, if you had bothered to read the thread instead of spouting random 'facts' that you've read off the forum. The Mistral, in fact, does not exist as it does in a manpad state in game.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tone

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:54

libbmaster wrote:

I don't know doctrine or anything, but I don't think it's going to be carrying the entire TOW missile system by him self.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Chosimba
First Sergeant

Postby Chosimba » Tue 14 Oct 2014 23:58

Bullfrog wrote:
libbmaster wrote:

I don't know doctrine or anything, but I don't think it's going to be carrying the entire TOW missile system by him self.

Not to mention the fact that a mistral system has to have a chair ingame (it doesn't because of french levitation magic) making it extremely heavy as well.
Last edited by OpusTheFowl on Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tone

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:36

Chosimba wrote:

Except it is man-portable in the scope of RD, if you had bothered to read the thread instead of spouting random 'facts' that you've read off the forum. The Mistral, in fact, does not exist as it does in a manpad state in game. At least learn what you're talking about.

...I read those facts off the forum? Those are links to websites.

And the Third picture down in the second link I provided clearly displays the mistral in MANPAD format.

Look, the point I was trying to make is that the TOW missile system is twice as heavy as the mistral system (Literally, two times the weight), and the mistral system is arguably one of the most cumbersome systems portrayed as man portable in wargame.

Even by the lose standards required to regard the mistral as "man-portable" the TOW is way way off the table.

I concede your points about the Javelin, but if you want people to support you, dialing back your tone would be a good idea.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:41

Bullfrog wrote:
libbmaster wrote:

Well, yes a team would be required to carry it. That is technically "Man-portable", but this is not my point.

My point is that the effort and time required to disassemble, transport and re-assemble the weapon (due to its weight) means that it is "out-of scope" by wargame's definition of "man-portable".

Bear in mind, that's just the launcher and tripod, not the ammo!

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:41

Well the RBS-70 weighs a 192 lbs so there's that...
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 15 Oct 2014 00:43

Mako wrote:Well the RBS-70 weighs a 192 lbs so there's that...

Dude.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”