BLUFOR TOW Infantry

Chosimba
First Sergeant

Re: US TOW Infantry

Postby Chosimba » Wed 15 Oct 2014 01:46

libbmaster wrote:
Mako wrote:Well the RBS-70 weighs a 192 lbs so there's that...

Dude.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

The launcher itself is the weight you were seeing, the stand weighs extra.
Also what I'm talking about as 'not existing in real life' is the version that's in game, where it's not set up with the stand. A handheld version never existed, it has to be operated on a vehicle or on the chair stand.

IE you'd have to deploy the mistral like you'd have to deploy a TOW

libbmaster
Lieutenant

Postby libbmaster » Wed 15 Oct 2014 02:13

Chosimba wrote:
libbmaster wrote:
Mako wrote:Well the RBS-70 weighs a 192 lbs so there's that...

Dude.

Okay, maybe I'm wrong.

The launcher itself is the weight you were seeing, the stand weighs extra.
Also what I'm talking about as 'not existing in real life' is the version that's in game, where it's not set up with the stand. A handheld version never existed, it has to be operated on a vehicle or on the chair stand.

IE you'd have to deploy the mistral like you'd have to deploy a TOW

Okay, I see.

FYI, I was "guesstimating" the weight of the chair in that 48 Kg figure (That picture made it appear to be the same size as the launcher, and the page said the launcher was 24 Kg, so I got 48 Kg as an estimate for the full system). My implication was that the two were in different categories of "man-portable" because of their weight, not the need for assembly.

Not that any of this matters, as the RBS-70 is basically the same size as a TOW, so my argument has been invalidated.

EDIT: forgot sad emogi: :cry:

Regnar
Lieutenant

Postby Regnar » Wed 15 Oct 2014 03:59

The US not having TOW infantry is a unique capability, it's there to make them more interesting and flavorful!

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 15 Oct 2014 04:01

Solo wrote:Since when do prototype units get in or out based on IOC? Javelin was successfully tested from '91-93 and began production in '94.

Let's look at some IOCs
Rafale 2006
Typhoon 2006
Su-27PU never
DDR Mig-29S never
Nork T-90 never
Eurocopter Tigre 2008

Well given the alternate timeline, it's not like the DDR MiG-29 is too far out there.
And I thought the Su-27PU is a test plane whuch led to the Su-30.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Wed 15 Oct 2014 04:52

Mike wrote:Well given the alternate timeline, it's not like the DDR MiG-29 is too far out there.

Soviet Union had no intention of giving controlled states anything equal to Soviet-grade jets with nuclear and R-77 capability. Soviet specifically built the Fulcrum-A to be given to Warsaw Pact states and other allies for rudimentary self defense. Soviet was going to keep all the best Mig-29, Su-27, and Mig-31 for their own pilots. Fulcrum-C wasn't exported until the Soviet Union fell and Russia had to cash in on the jets which were just laying around in hangars. They even sold 14 nuclear and R-77 capable Mig-29S to the USA in the mid 90s. As long as the Soviet Union stands, as in the alternate timeline, Soviet is not giving any state equal equipment. There's a better case for an F-22 than a DDR Mig-29S in the alternate timeline.*

*For complete historical authenticity and not balance

And I thought the Su-27PU is a test plane whuch led to the Su-30.

That's correct, which is why the Su-27PU reflected in game never had an IOC. Su-27PU was a dedicated fighter/interceptor designed for strategic mainland Soviet air defense, to fly as a "leader" and coordinate with other Su-27s and Mig-31s. A few were built, role was never realized, then the program switched to Su-30 which was mainly an export multirole.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Wed 15 Oct 2014 09:00

Regnar wrote:The US not having TOW infantry is a unique capability, it's there to make them more interesting and flavorful!

A unique capability shared by all the other nations!

Isn't it great how each nation is special in its own way by not being special?
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Wed 15 Oct 2014 11:01

Bullfrog wrote:
libbmaster wrote:
This site puts the weight of a Launcher (plus tripod) built to accommodate TOW-2 rounds at 204.6 pounds (92.89 kilograms).

I don't know doctrine or anything, but I don't think it's going to be carrying the entire TOW missile system by him self.

This is the crux. Doctrine matters as if US army doesn't consider the TOW man portable, then it doesn't make sense to have US soldiers carrying it around in the game. The actual mass matters less then if there are trained TOW teams carrying around the TOWs during manuvers.

RBS-70 is man portable as the swedish army has teams that carry it around as their standard kit, just like AT weapons and such. Of course, Swedish army also considers RBS-17 (AGM-114 Hellfire) manportable.
Last edited by Znail on Wed 15 Oct 2014 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

STRB909
Private First-Class

Postby STRB909 » Wed 15 Oct 2014 12:01

RBS-17 (hellfire) is man portable as RBS-70 and 81mm and 120 mm mortar also is acording too swedish armed forces.

But do you have any picture of manportable RBS-15? thats a big missle to carry. It's approx. 5-600kg /missle.

the whole rbs-17 system is 150 kg including 1 missle and all the launchequiment.

"they also have food with them :)"
Last edited by STRB909 on Wed 15 Oct 2014 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Liare
Lieutenant

Postby Liare » Wed 15 Oct 2014 12:43

STRB909 wrote:RBS-17 (hellfire) is man portable as RBS-70 and 81mm and 120 mm mortar also is acording too swedish armed forces.

But do you have any picture of manportable RBS-15? thats a big missle to carry. It's approx. 5-600kg /missle.

the whole rbs-17 system is 150 kg including 1 missle and all the lunchequiment.
i know that's a typo, but i got this weird picture of a swedish squad eating lunch on top of a Hellfire in my mind right now. :shock:

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Wed 15 Oct 2014 14:01

STRB909 wrote:But do you have any picture of manportable RBS-15? thats a big missle to carry. It's approx. 5-600kg /missle.

Opps, the source got the 15 and 17 mixed up.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”