The Commonwealth AA dilemma

keebs63
Brigadier

The Commonwealth AA dilemma

Postby keebs63 » Tue 14 Oct 2014 13:56

As the title states, this topic is about the Commonwealty anti air systems. So, whats wrong with them you ask? Besides everything, lets just start with:

1.Marksman SPAAG: probably the best AA in the entire Commonwealth arsenal, these 3 tanks come with a heavy price: availability. 1 card? Seriously? And with the heavy price tag and avail per card? Challenger Marksmans are simply not worth taking outside of an armored deck, 1 card of 4/3 avail....
Solution? Buff to 2 cards (yes I know they are prototypes) or buff avail per card.

2. Tracked Rapier systems: Dont even get me started on this..... unforatnetly the best missile AA you can get as these guys.... they simply suck big time... lackluster range, not enough HE, terribad accuracy(and dont go quoting me armory values...), terrible availability and the slowest ROF ever...
Solution? Buff its accuracy, avail, and range at the very least... 3500 or 3375m vs planes, 65-70% accuracy(or at least the stated armory value), and 8/6 avail per card.

Just gona throw ADATS in here just cause.... more accuracy for ADATS!

I know, most of you will probably think I am some British fanboy, but truth be told, Im not, and CW is pretty much dead or dying with these terribad AA systems.
Last edited by keebs63 on Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
"arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted" -Someone, somewhere in Wargame Chat 2015

DoktorvonWer
General

Re: The Commonwealth AA dilemma

Postby DoktorvonWer » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:00

Convert UK Tracked Rapier FSA to Tracked Rapier FSB2. It was in active service by 1990, isn't even a prototype.

keebs63 wrote:1.Marksman SPAAG: probably the best AA in the entire Commonwealth arsenal, these 3 tanks come with a heavy price: availability. 1 card? Seriously? And with the heavy price tag and avail per card? Challenger Marksmans are simply not worth taking outside of an armored deck, 1 card of 4/3 avail....
Solution? Buff to 2 cards (yes I know they are prototypes) or buff avail per card.

Availability is already at 2 cards. Actually, it's at 3 including the Canuck Centurion version. 1 card Challenger Marksman, 1 card Chieftain Marksman, 1 card Centurion Marksman. Sure, the other two aren't as good as Challenger, but they're still equally capable Marksman weapon systems.

They've been consistently nerfed since closed beta relative to other systems, at least according to their unit cards - though given how the actual number of attack rolls per second is hidden, maybe it has maintained its efficacy despite that, idk. I don't necessarily think the availability per card is very fair compared to Gepard (whose viewable stats it used to rival and even exceed, but no longer) but then all the Marksman variants are more survivable than Gepards due to their MBT armouring.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:06

The UK (or commonwealth for that matter) simply did not have very good ground based AA IRL. It's a fact of life, the rapier is already buffed way beyond reasonable IRL expectations. They already have a ton of prototypes in terms of equipment to fill in this gap so I don't see why they should get more considering they get an absurd amount of marksman variants.
Viker for ingen!

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:11

Well we are missing a couple of very capable in time frame Rapier variants.

-FSB
-FSB2
-FSC (Proto)

And a very effective MANPAD with long range and accuracy.

-Starburst

Commonwealth AA could be fixed with either rerolls or copy cats.

smyljr
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby smyljr » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:16

between stormer, marksman, and the typhoon, anti-air is 'manageable', but still not very pleasant.

one roland 3 equivalent would make things much easier.
:mid-match connecting(matchmaking), LoS bubble(Ruse), interchangeable loadouts, moving in formations different ranges for altitudes, 1$ price increments, tank/copter ecm, 5/6 weapon slots, and 10 player deathmatch nukemode

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:22

smyljr wrote:one roland 3 equivalent would make things much easier.

That would be the FSB or B2.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:37

Stick with fighters I always try to have a couple in standing CAP I have a couple of rapiers but it's mainly tornados for my defence.

Infinitum
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Infinitum » Tue 14 Oct 2014 14:38

The best way to keep your tanks alive from atgm panes etc is to have a F1 flying constantly because the FSA isn't up to scratch and hope to god you can get a stun on the incoming plane and your marksmen etc. can then deal with them, im considering having two ASF cards in my UK deck but for commonwealth this is hard due to availability issues.

Centurion
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Centurion » Tue 14 Oct 2014 15:04

Just give a Starburst. More range, more accuracy and brings Britain in line with everyone else MANPAD wise.
"...In their Centurions, the 8th Hussars have evolved a new type of tank warfare. They taught us that anywhere a tank can go, is tank country: even the tops of mountains."

GBNATO
General

Postby GBNATO » Tue 14 Oct 2014 15:11

Britain's anti helicopter AA is reliant on prototypes like Marksman and Starstreak. Starburst was in action in 1991 and would provide the Commonwealth with a very robust MANPAD comparable to the Mistral. The best part is, Starburst looks almost identical to the Javelin and Blowpipe so all that is required is a stat change.

The real issue both for the UK and Commonwealth however is killing fixed wing aircraft, the FSA just doesn't cut it. Which is where the very in time frame Rapier FSB or B2 comes in. Again, just a change in stats is required...

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”