ATGM Bug

skoalpancake
Corporal

ATGM Bug

Postby skoalpancake » Fri 5 Dec 2014 20:15

Throwing out a post here about the ATGM bug that we all know and love. I find it to be one of the more consistently annoying gameplay features dealt with game to game. I'm gonna repost something Raven posted in another topic, sums up the issue nicely.

"3) Problem with the Akula and many other ATGM platforms is I think the ATGM bug from DLC 1 is still around in a reduced form - as I recall they only partially fixed it because some people liked not having to bother with smoke to protect against them. So the result is a lot of stated accuracy values for ATGMs on helicopters and elsewhere are incorrect."

He posted this in regards to a requested buff for Akula. I completely agree with the sentiment. I also think this bug reaches further than the obvious frustration we all have when 75% of missiles fired from a given platform ride the magic bubble over the target. The additional problem is that many of the stated accuracy values are now incorrect because of this bug. It makes any discussion of buffs/nerfs for launcher platforms a bit silly, because, for say the example of the Akula, the stat we are given and make purchase judgements by is dare I say irrelevant.
This is in addition to the multitudes of cheaper ATGM options being irrelevant and never used because you may fire an entire payload of missiles at a stationary target and still miss, even if the launcher isn't smoked or loses sight for a split second or isn't under any fire. All those modeled units, wasted in my opinion.
No I don't want the EE ATGM meta back. But I really had no problem with early RD ATGMs.

skoalpancake
Corporal

Re: ATGM Bug

Postby skoalpancake » Fri 5 Dec 2014 20:23

Sorry to double post my own topic, but wanted to include an inb4. Yes I know this is beating a dead horse, like with top end cluster arty, like with artificial US infantry deficiencies, like with Eugens choice of units for the game, like with so many problems the community finds with this game. There is a reason these horses were beat to death, because they're problem horses that we tried to beat some sense into, and we keep beating in the hope that we get a miracle resuscitation.

D-M

Postby D-M » Fri 5 Dec 2014 20:34

"3) Problem with the Akula and many other ATGM platforms is I think the ATGM bug from DLC 1 is still around in a reduced form - as I recall they only partially fixed it because some people liked not having to bother with smoke to protect against them. So the result is a lot of stated accuracy values for ATGMs on helicopters and elsewhere are incorrect."

Except it's complete bullshit.

The "bug" come from a balancing patch, not a DLC and it's not "partially fixed" just because people like it better, it's because they can't fix it without creating exploits.
Last edited by D-M on Sat 6 Dec 2014 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

keebs63
Brigadier

Postby keebs63 » Fri 5 Dec 2014 21:30

Uh there's no bug just bad accuracy combined with hitrolls.
"arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted" -Someone, somewhere in Wargame Chat 2015

BassiveMollocks
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby BassiveMollocks » Fri 5 Dec 2014 21:38

There isn't a bug? Huh, some units, like the chinese AGM plane, have terrible luck for me then, it always magic bubbles!

keebs63
Brigadier

Postby keebs63 » Fri 5 Dec 2014 21:39

BassiveMollocks wrote:There isn't a bug? Huh, some units, like the chinese AGM plane, have terrible luck for me then, it always magic bubbles!

Plane AGMs =/= ground launched ATGMs
"arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted" -Someone, somewhere in Wargame Chat 2015

skoalpancake
Corporal

Postby skoalpancake » Fri 5 Dec 2014 21:48

Ok I stand corrected then. I was under the impression that in a pre-DLC1 patch the number of hit rolls in flight was increased, then shortly after this it was slightly decreased in a subsequent patch. I still maintain that a majority of ATGM platforms are affected in an undesirable way and are next to useless because of it. I donno, maybe I'm just bugged by the way this is often presented in game; ATGM is on target until last the last moment then whoosh it rides a forcefield in a semicircle a meter over the target.
But if no further discussion is warranted or if it's felt I'm discussing a non existent issue, feel free to lock. Just throw it in the pile of frustrating game mechanics that aren't touched.

skoalpancake
Corporal

Postby skoalpancake » Fri 5 Dec 2014 21:56

Actually before any lock just want to direct any viewers to Grabbed by the Spets similar topic on the front page viewtopic.php?f=155&t=49762
He did some more detailed research into this area and touches on my same complaint.

keebs63
Brigadier

Postby keebs63 » Fri 5 Dec 2014 22:04

There's no need for a lock, there's still another topic to discuss here: hitrolls. I was just merely stating that it's not a bug, that it was intended (in a way, I doubt they wanted to make hitrolls so prevalent)

shuai-jan
Lieutenant

Postby shuai-jan » Sat 6 Dec 2014 06:20

My Akulas waste so many missiles, it is incredible.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”