Friendly Wargaming Steam Group

Hawker Siddeley
Second-Lieutenant

Re: Friendly Wargaming Steam Group

Postby Hawker Siddeley » Sun 7 Dec 2014 17:05

Jawehawk wrote:There's nothing legit about napalming a road in a game where there's usually just one road being used to get to that one center zone. It takes no skill, and completely ruins the other persons chance to fight for the middle sector.

I have been on the receiving end of napalm and still manage to take cities, it is not a GG tactic like dropping a Paveway on a helo blob or F-111C along their attack route. It is easily countered by just driving through or using helos, in fact helos are the best way to get to a position first and napalm really doesn't matter much to them.

Jawehawk wrote:ASF is in no way guaranteed to take down the napalm jet before it releases its payload, not to mention it's an awfully expensive investment early on, just for the sake of shooting down a potential napalm yet.

You can get an ASF for as low as 65 points or can you can just get a cheap fighter and use it to scare off napalm and try knock out a helo in the opening, hell even using any jet with IRs works.
Professional funtposter
Baitin', hatin', reservse configuratin'

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Sun 7 Dec 2014 22:00

Not to turn this Steam Group thread into a gameplay thread, but...

Napalm on the roads is more of a psychological deterrent to the enemy player than anything. If you are fast moving with wheeled units they will lose 1-2 HP to the fire and some will become "worried." A second later you are clear of the fire and good to go. I like to see a handful of Alpha jets from my enemy at the beginning of the game. It lets me know he is going to have less for the ground offensive.

Exception to this is with the "super" napalm planes, the Su-7 and friends, and only if they line up perfectly to match the angle of the road. Then you have a good 750m of fire. Then you are going to have a bad time. :D

505th-82nd HOOAH
Private

Postby 505th-82nd HOOAH » Mon 8 Dec 2014 02:12

steam name is 505th 82ND AIRBORNE add me

Jawehawk
Lieutenant

Postby Jawehawk » Mon 8 Dec 2014 19:11

Well, I was hoping to see more interest than this. At least 350 people have viewed the thread, and only 3 have signed up. Shame, but if there's no real interest in this, I'm afraid it'll have to be cancelled.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Mon 8 Dec 2014 19:48

Jawehawk wrote:Well, I was hoping to see more interest than this. At least 350 people have viewed the thread, and only 3 have signed up. Shame, but if there's no real interest in this, I'm afraid it'll have to be cancelled.

sorry, is just, dont have the time nor the joy of playing wg
patches just take too long
Of Salt

Kasrkin229
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Kasrkin229 » Mon 8 Dec 2014 20:34

6# No napalming/bombing the road at the beginning of a match. It's cheap and it can potentially ruin the game for the "victim". If you want to outright attack the starting column with helicopters or the like, feel free to do so. But don't exploit the near instant air attack ability. The same goes for firing MLRS batteries into the enemy spawn at the beginning.

I'm on board with all of the other rules but this one i have to disagree with. Napalming Roads is a perfectly legitimate 'Area Denial' Tactic. I do however agree with the Smerch part (we all know that's what you're talking about)

But yeah i'll toss my Towel in.

Steam Name:

Tactical Tracker ; Picture of the Selous Scout Osprey

Tactical Fister in-game

Jawehawk
Lieutenant

Postby Jawehawk » Mon 8 Dec 2014 21:03

Well, we're getting somewhere at least. I don't see much difference between MLRS spam in the beginning and a napalm strike. Both require little thought, but can potentially ruin it for the other team. If not for the fact that many maps have one road per middle sector, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the fact is that a well placed napalm strike can both delay and panic your starting forces, and if you want a good chance in shooting it down before it releases its payoload, you'll need to buy a decent plane for taking it down. Meaning paying more than 100 points just to plan for something that might not happen.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Mon 8 Dec 2014 21:12

Jawehawk wrote:Well, we're getting somewhere at least. I don't see much difference between MLRS spam in the beginning and a napalm strike. Both require little thought, but can potentially ruin it for the other team. If not for the fact that many maps have one road per middle sector, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the fact is that a well placed napalm strike can both delay and panic your starting forces, and if you want a good chance in shooting it down before it releases its payoload, you'll need to buy a decent plane for taking it down. Meaning paying more than 100 points just to plan for something that might not happen.

one could be prevent by a single asf

the other, mlrs, you cant at all
Of Salt

Jawehawk
Lieutenant

Postby Jawehawk » Mon 8 Dec 2014 21:27

another505 wrote:
Jawehawk wrote:Well, we're getting somewhere at least. I don't see much difference between MLRS spam in the beginning and a napalm strike. Both require little thought, but can potentially ruin it for the other team. If not for the fact that many maps have one road per middle sector, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But the fact is that a well placed napalm strike can both delay and panic your starting forces, and if you want a good chance in shooting it down before it releases its payoload, you'll need to buy a decent plane for taking it down. Meaning paying more than 100 points just to plan for something that might not happen.

one could be prevent by a single asf

the other, mlrs, you cant at all

Decent ASF jets cost more than 100 points. And even then, you can't be sure to shoot it down before payload release.
MLRS can be killed by a single helicopter, because lets be honest, the majority of players don't bother with any defences at spawn what so ever. Honestly, I can hardly think of any match where anyone but myself have bothered with placing some defences to the rear.

Napalm jets aren't expensive, and thus, the person using this tactic doesn't stand to lose much, if anything. The person on the recieving end, however, stands to lose quite a bit, as his ability to contend the middle is at jeopardy, or the possibility of wasing 100+ points on an ASF that wasn't necessary.

Rabidpalidinski
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Rabidpalidinski » Mon 8 Dec 2014 22:20

Jawehawk wrote:Hello

As playing with random people has grown increasingly tiresome over the course of Red Dragon's life time, I've taken action, and set up a Steam group designed to allow people of various skill levels to meet and play together.

The group will primarily feature conquest games, with the occasional total destruction game without any point limit thrown into the mix. Furthermore, I'd like to host some themed games based on what-could've-been scenarious, fielding realistic battlefield formations relevant to the scenario in question. The group will not be host to 10V10 games, and is not going to be super competitive. Fun is the primary objective, and people who are only concerned with their W/L ratio need not apply.

There are a few simple rules that players have to live up to in order to join and stay with the group.

1# Ability to speak and write the English language.

2# No stacking teams in order to gain an advantage.

3# Respect all users (No insulting and respect that not everyone is equally skilled at the game).

4# Play as a team, meaning you communicate with your team, and don't steal from someones FOB without asking permission.

5# No exploiting the Fire-Pos bug versus helicopters.

6# No napalming/bombing the road at the beginning of a match. It's cheap and it can potentially ruin the game for the "victim". If you want to outright attack the starting column with helicopters or the like, feel free to do so. But don't exploit the near instant air attack ability. The same goes for firing MLRS batteries into the enemy spawn at the beginning.

7# No ragequitting.

I might have access to a Teamspeak server that we can use, although if this is allowed, I'll have to be present whenever we're using it.
Hopefully I'm not alone in wanting to find a stable bunch of people to play with. Group access is private, so send me your Steam profile name, and I'll send an invite your way.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/WRD-FriendlyWargaming

I'm down if i can take my 3 friends (I'd say one is on par with me and 2 are slightly on the green side so I don't think it would be considered stacking aside from the fact that we work very well together) Also about the napalm thing I'm not the type to do it but I always attack move some AAA or have a fighter or two ready at the start to counter it's actually a good way to make some easy points early on depending on how smart the op for are with their aircraft, just a bit of advise when it comes to dealing with it early on in the match
EDIT: PM me or add me on steam I can send you my friends profiles if you'd like
<3 MIGHTY SOVIET SPACE BMP
"I solve tactical problems, not practical problems" 8-)
Please fix the PGZ-63's fixed wing cannon range :(

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”