The new launcher

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

The new launcher

Postby ShanRevan » Sat 13 Dec 2014 05:43

Firstly I want to say thanks for going to the effort of creating the new mode selector launcher for the beta.
It's a simple thing but it really streamlines the beta process and makes swapping between them seamless.

As I was using it today I was struck with an idea: In the wargame we have an admittedly small but dedicated modding scene and one of the biggest annoyances is swapping between versions, especially for the less computer literate among us. It struck me that right here we have an official means of selecting between multiple versions on the fly!

Obviously in its current state it doesn't really suit that purpose, and I expect it will disappear when the beta ends, however I am hopeful that Eugen might consider modifying it into a mod selector Launcher. Especially as we are nearing the end of (presumably non-critical) support, and do not have another wargame title on the horizon, some better modding support could vastly extend the lifetime of this game and alleviate some of the issues of segregating the community through mods and perceived elitism that has often been cited against modding.

I understand that such work would be a low priority and is something of a pipe-dream but it doesn't hurt to ask.

In an ideal world, it would allow us to create our own mod folders within "Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC", for example "Wargame Red Dragon\Data\WARGAME\PC\Uralgraznomod" (or even simply a unique number key) and define a vanilla version which to run it against in a CFG file or such. The launcher would then detect the modded versions and what version to run them against, list them and allow players to choose which one to launch. Even better if it would segregate the decks but I understand this would likely involve a lot more work.

This system allow people to play mods without breaking vanilla comparability and potentially protect decks from incompatible versions.

Thank you all for your time and I hope you all strongly take this into consideration.

PzAz04Maus
Lieutenant

Re: The new launcher

Postby PzAz04Maus » Sat 13 Dec 2014 05:46

On a completely unrelated note, it's good to see you posting back here. Are you going to update the MG megathread to explain away the new DLC change?

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Sat 13 Dec 2014 05:50

PzAz04Maus wrote:On a completely unrelated note, it's good to see you posting back here. Are you going to update the MG megathread to explain away the new DLC change?

I'll probably make a new thread, but I've got a lot of data to extract and format. For now there's some basic data in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=49886

But be aware that without range scaling it doesn't show the whole story and I don't necessarily agree with Thonar's points.

PzAz04Maus
Lieutenant

Postby PzAz04Maus » Sat 13 Dec 2014 05:57

ShanRevan wrote:I'll probably make a new thread, but I've got a lot of data to extract and format. For now there's some basic data in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=49886

But be aware that without range scaling it doesn't show the whole story and I don't necessarily agree with Thonar's points.

Good to hear. I've held your work and conclusions in high esteem for a while now, so that should be a great read.

xthetenth
First Sergeant

Postby xthetenth » Sat 13 Dec 2014 06:06

Even the ability to swap between one mod and the base game would be a fantastic addition and be a huge boon to mods, since they wouldn't have to be uninstalled whenever you want to play without.

Gronank
Colonel

Postby Gronank » Sat 13 Dec 2014 06:22

ShanRevan wrote:Obviously in its current state it doesn't really suit that purpose, and I expect it will disappear when the beta ends, however I am hopeful that Eugen might consider modifying it into a mod selector Launcher.

It only allows for one alternative, but there is no reason to let it go away after the Beta ends. Just save the exe in the main folder for the future and note the contents of Base and Beta folders. I don't see any reason why a intrepid modder can't use the usual trick of using a slightly obsolete version of the game and put it in the beta folder.

Randomletters
First Sergeant

Postby Randomletters » Sat 13 Dec 2014 07:17

This is an excellent idea, and would be a major step in the right direction for Eugen supporting mods.

ShanRevan
Second-Lieutenant

Postby ShanRevan » Sat 13 Dec 2014 08:22

Gronank wrote:
ShanRevan wrote:Obviously in its current state it doesn't really suit that purpose, and I expect it will disappear when the beta ends, however I am hopeful that Eugen might consider modifying it into a mod selector Launcher.

It only allows for one alternative, but there is no reason to let it go away after the Beta ends. Just save the exe in the main folder for the future and note the contents of Base and Beta folders. I don't see any reason why a intrepid modder can't use the usual trick of using a slightly obsolete version of the game and put it in the beta folder.

Sure, and in the likely event nothing comes of this thread it's something worth looking into. However the potential for something slightly more sophisticated, however unlikely, is worth this thread at least.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 13 Dec 2014 08:26

This would be magnificent to see implemented :)

Xenon
Sergeant

Postby Xenon » Sat 13 Dec 2014 09:00

+1

Having a way to easily swap into mods would be great. It doesn't seem to be that difficult to implement either.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”