The Truth about American Infantry

captaincarnage
Major

Re: The Truth about American Infantry

Postby captaincarnage » Thu 18 Dec 2014 00:03

This thread should not take a back seat to a buff the Smerch thread.

The truth about American infantry is that some people can't handle the truth.

Well trained - yes
Well equipped - yes
Blessed with capable and diverse 'elite' forces - yes
Well represented in Wargame Red Dragon?
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Thu 18 Dec 2014 00:39

The SF meta hasn't gone anywhere, I'm glad Eugen looked at that for DLC3. It doesn't mater how compressed MG stats are if everything unit is taking a back seat to SF.

US infantry does need to be looked at, but if they're not going to decrease the role SF have on the game... I don't see the point. SF have a right to be in Wargames, but they don't have a right to dominate the meta.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 18 Dec 2014 02:51

As far as I'm concerned, there is no Special Forces meta.

You could very well argue there's a Shock Infantry meta however - this is because too many line infantry squads have terrible loadouts (especially in terms of anti-tank), and also get their availability gimped too much.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

nWODT_Niack
Captain

Postby nWODT_Niack » Thu 18 Dec 2014 02:55

Has anybody made a DPS spreadsheet comparing the Riflemen to other regulars, akin to what Vasily Krysov used to do ?

This will not fix the issue on diversity, but might direct the discussion over what US inf actually needs to be looked at.
Croche et Tient

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:08

Shock infantry are much more welcome than Elite infantry, since 'shock' are found regularly on a real battle field and the performance gap between regulars and shock is a lot smaller than Regulars vs Elite.

I'm rather tired of seeing SF steam rolling what ever the hell they steam roll, and regardless to how many times you kill them... they just keep coming back.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:09

raventhefuhrer wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is no Special Forces meta.

You could very well argue there's a Shock Infantry meta however - this is because too many line infantry squads have terrible loadouts (especially in terms of anti-tank), and also get their availability gimped too much.

Other than Fusies, Diggers, and Motosleci, I can't really think of any line infantry worth taking. I had hoped this patch would have balanced line infantry...but alas.
Mobile Units Operational :!:

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:10

Most line infatry, especially ones without a 90' variant are all going to be the same performance.

I can understand frustration with rifleman 90' and marines 90'. But to be honest, rifleman aren't even that bad compared to all the other line infatry.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:14

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Most line infatry, especially ones without a 90' variant are all going to be the same performance.

I can understand frustration with rifleman 90' and marines 90'. But to be honest, rifleman aren't even that bad compared to all the other line infatry.

You get a good, but not great AT launcher and a subpar MG. An historically inaccurate MG too.
Courtesy of KattiValk

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:29

QUAD wrote:Other than Fusies, Diggers, and Motosleci, I can't really think of any line infantry worth taking. I had hoped this patch would have balanced line infantry...but alas.

Well, that's why I said it's a Shock Infantry meta, and then gave a few reasons why line infantry aren't are predominant as they should be.

Fusiliers, Diggers, German Jager, Panserskytte, some others are worthwhile mentions. I don't think line infantry are 'useless', I take them in most of my decks. But there's generally a shock infantry preference all the same.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

DrRansom
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRansom » Thu 18 Dec 2014 03:38

The problem for the US is twofold:
- sub-par line infantry
- no shock outside of Marine and Unspecialized decks

The first can be easily fixed with an authentic MG swap and the second requires a re-roll. Absent fixes to the second, the only infantry competitive deck is unspecialized or Marine, a very limited selection for a nominal superpower.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”