The Truth about American Infantry

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Re: The Truth about American Infantry

Postby Shrike » Thu 18 Dec 2014 04:35

I think part of the problem with infantry is that there is nothing dynamic about them. You rush a town, and they become turrets, using them in a large wide open field is both dangerous and sort of unrealistic, and there isn't much cover other than the indestructible buildings. You can throw them in forests for concealment, but they are still vunerable to everything that can see them.

On the other hand the game's engine handles vehicle combat very well. However there needs to some sort of cover system for infantry, either in the form of micro terrain/wall/tree cover, or just terrain bonuses in general. Also lowering the accuracy of infantry weapons and lower rates of fire since the average fire fight consists of shooting in the direction and not what you actually see a few feet away(like the video games). It doesn't have to realistic, it just needs something to make it more interesting.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Thu 18 Dec 2014 04:44

I like to send my rifleman into open fields, they do a good job of getting shot at revealing enemy positions for tanks/IFVs to kill
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Poptart Lover
Lieutenant

Postby Poptart Lover » Thu 18 Dec 2014 04:45

raventhefuhrer wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is no Special Forces meta.

What? Usually all I see is, SAS, Spetsnaz, Spetsnaz GRU, US SEALs, Formaza, Li-jian '90, LSTR '90 and Falkmeinjeagers. Then to support those, VDV, US Marines(when unspecialized), Panzer'Grenadiers, Gurkas, the other USSR shock, Mot Schutzen, Berety's, etc.

I like to think of the meta in this game as, Artillery and Special Forces meta. Too many people spam artillery, and too many people spam SF because their cheap and have great availability.

All SF infantry should be nerfed down in terms of availability, but be buffed in fire power, making them the strongest and extremely hard to take down.

Bullfrog wrote:I like to send my rifleman into open fields, they do a good job of getting shot at revealing enemy positions for tanks/IFVs to kill

This is what I do. If I know some enemy units are in a certain area, I'll call out my ATGM planes while suicide my regular infantry.
Image I don't support 100x PX size!

PzAz04Maus
Lieutenant

Postby PzAz04Maus » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:09

On the other hand the game's engine handles vehicle combat very well. However there needs to some sort of cover system for infantry, either in the form of micro terrain/wall/tree cover, or just terrain bonuses in general.

Exactly my thoughts, though I think it's necessary to be entirely abstracted. There would just be way too much work to prototype and develop a working microterrain solution that can be procedurally retrofitted onto the old maps.

Infantry without dispersion or the ability to abuse small cover are a major oversight that have distorted the design of the game on an incredibly deep level.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:11

Bullfrog wrote:I like to send my rifleman into open fields, they do a good job of getting shot at revealing enemy positions for tanks/IFVs to kill

Yet another example of US and Soviet roles being swapped :lol:
Courtesy of KattiValk

Trimen
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Trimen » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:20

I like to spear head an attack with SF (Delta/SEAL combo) then bring up Riflemen to hold territory so I can retreat the SF. Riflemen in a city block do not die that fast vs even Lijan. They can't beat them but they can give me time to respond. Also don't knock a Riflemen 90 Delta combo force. Those AT4 are good. when a tank is stun locked by the Seal GL.

trineroks
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby trineroks » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:21

Mike wrote:

Except this type of strategy is used with basically any deck?

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:21

trineroks wrote:
Mike wrote:

Most people use 5 point transport, but I like to punish my men for being so bad.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:29

trineroks wrote:
Mike wrote:Yet another example of US and Soviet roles being swapped :lol:

Courtesy of KattiValk

PoleHERbehr
Staff Sergeant

Postby PoleHERbehr » Thu 18 Dec 2014 05:31

Mike wrote:
trineroks wrote:
Mike wrote:Yet another example of US and Soviet roles being swapped :lol:

I see what you did there :lol:

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”