Increasing shock recon infantry from 5 men to 10 men.

wubby
Sergeant

Increasing shock recon infantry from 5 men to 10 men.

Postby wubby » Mon 22 Dec 2014 14:38

Hello all!

Right now, personally, I feel there is too big a gap between the combat variants of Shock recon infantry and Elite recon infantry. By combat variants I mean the recon infantry with very good stealth (not the exceptional stealth 2 man recon infantry which I think are fine).

See for 20 points one may buy Shock infantry with relatively equivalent stats to a 10 man Shock infantry in infantry tab. However, for 5 more points (so 25 points) one may buy a 10 man elite recon infantry - not only with superior stats but with double the durability due to double squad size.

Since the 5 man squads have same stealth (very good) as the 10 man elite recon infantry I really cannot see reason to buy the 5 man shock recon squads when there are options for 10 man elite recon squads. However, some coalitions do not have 10 man elite recon infantry available as options (notably Eurocorps and Red Dragons [Red Dragons notably doesn't even have cheap 10/15 point Militia/Trained recon inf]).

I want to add that I think the 10 point militia training recon infantry such as West German BGS or East German Grenzer are fine due to massive price drop compared to Shock and Elite analogues. Where I am undecided about is for Trained 15 point recon infantry such as USSR Razvedka or Danish Spedjerne being 5 man strength.

Definitely, it is my opinion that Shock recon infantry should be increased to 10 man strength though.

I want to hear what others have to say though. Perhaps there is a very good reason for this which I overlooked?

keebs63
Brigadier

Re: Increasing shock recon infantry from 5 men to 10 men.

Postby keebs63 » Mon 22 Dec 2014 14:40

I think it's just the prices that are messed up. Elite 10 men should be like 30 and I think that would be better for their abilities and versatility
"arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted" -Someone, somewhere in Wargame Chat 2015

Medan
Warrant Officer

Postby Medan » Mon 22 Dec 2014 16:01

I have suggested 10 man recon shock for quite awhile to no avail.... it should be an easy change that brings these units out of obscurity.

SpeisCheese
Captain

Postby SpeisCheese » Mon 22 Dec 2014 16:05

I would like 10 Commandos Paras. The would have bigger chances to survive and fight against other infantry and tanks. Having just Militia, Regular and one 2 men Elite Squad in Eurocorps, I really wish this.

Flieger
Lieutenant General

Postby Flieger » Mon 22 Dec 2014 16:15

I for one would do away with that unit class entirely, and reroll each and every one of them according to the needs of the respective nation. The US obviously could need regular infantry 10-men shock troops (Ranger re-roll), the DDR could need a 10-men elite with MG (recon or not) (Spezialaufklärer re-roll), etc.

Akula161
Master Sergeant

Postby Akula161 » Mon 22 Dec 2014 16:40

Thing is, elite recon infantry is underpriced if you look at the net price, but their avail is only 4-3, sometimes 6-4 in national decks, which is what makes them balanced. You can spawn 6-8 of them and cover the whole map with them, they're cheap but you can't spam them.

Zoring
Warrant Officer

Postby Zoring » Mon 22 Dec 2014 16:50

This would be the barest minimum change the recon section needs. A thousand times yes
Want to know how to make 116 redundant units usable? Click to read my thread on Recon Refitting!

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Mon 22 Dec 2014 17:45

+1
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

delor
Lieutenant

Postby delor » Mon 22 Dec 2014 19:04

This is another dead horse the forum loves to whip, but I don't really disagree.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing "ranger"-type units essentially become the infantry version of Good Optics vehicles. Strength up to 10, availability up to 10, optics down to good.

The pricing of the 10-man elites is another topic, but I don't think I'll opine there at the moment because I don't want to start down the slippery slope of boring everyone with an "I'm going to rebalance everything!" thead.

F-22
Lieutenant

Postby F-22 » Mon 22 Dec 2014 21:15

delor wrote:This is another dead horse the forum loves to whip, but I don't really disagree.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing "ranger"-type units essentially become the infantry version of Good Optics vehicles. Strength up to 10, availability up to 10, optics down to good.

The pricing of the 10-man elites is another topic, but I don't think I'll opine there at the moment because I don't want to start down the slippery slope of boring everyone with an "I'm going to rebalance everything!" thead.

Yeah and the dead horse keeps getting beat because this was suggested 5+ months ago and nothing had changed.

Hurray!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”