The Commonwealth Changes thread

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

The Commonwealth Changes thread

Postby BeyondNight » Wed 24 Dec 2014 01:53

So im interested to know what people thinkk could be done to make the commonwealth different but not in an overbuffed way within the Restrictions as follows:
1. No new Models/Model Changes required
2. Historical accuracy
3. Presented factual evidence
I hope a few of you will present any Data youve found and present your ideas as well.

So far all ive been able to think of is giving the Starburst to British Javelin (S-15) teams and the Canadian Wolverine, while leaving the canadian Javelin manpads as the Original.

The Starburst was a Missile with an Increased range over the javelin out to 7Km introduced in the 90's and its first use being the Gulf war in 1991.

Since it had been used in the games timeline (not Proto) and would diversify both the Commonwealth and Canadian AA options and British Manpads Options i see it as a reasonable change that could be made.

Also, obviously being canadian i know more and dig for information on them, ive recently come across a Document which i will post below outlining some changes that Could be made to ADATS.
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/assets/ARMY_Internet/docs/en/canadian-army-journal/volume-14/CAJ_Vol14.3_06_e.pdf
Described within this PDF that is of importance is as follows (Quoted from source)

Spoiler : :
As outlined in
the paper, the ADATS was originally acquired through a 1986 low level air defence (LLAD) project to meet
the late Cold War threat in Germany.
Mounted on M-113A3 tracked armoured personnel carriers, it was
to provide short range air defence (SHORAD) to mobile troops and static installations in all weather
conditions.

ADATS should have 2/2/1/1 Armor like the M113A3's in game.

It was further stated that since the
missiles use rearward looking laser receivers to obtain guidance information from the ADATS, an enemy
could not jam them without physically blocking the line of sight between the missile and the launcher, which
was described as an “impossible feat” due to missile speed

ADATS is totally ECM resistant, now this cant be represented with the game mechanics, but does prove a point that ADATS accuracy should be looked into.

System accuracy was also highlighted, with the
claim that the laser system was accurate to 1.5 square metres at distances of up to eight kilometres.

In July 2004 Exercise PERFECT KILL was held, using existing ADATS equipped vehicles to simulate the
MMEV. Initial test results produced 88% aircraft kills and 31% kills against armoured fighting vehicles, but
final test results produced 95% kills against aircraft and 96% armoured fighting vehicle kills

This again leads me to the conclusion that ADATS accuracy in game needs to be looked into.

Overall with this data coming directly from the Government of Canada, it is factual and given the poor place ADATS appears to be in game i could see this justifying changes for the unit, with obvious adjustments like price to match its capabilities.

for these two possibility ive seen im not sure what pricing would look like and it would be much appreciated if everyone would throw in their 2 cents about what ive written above.
Last edited by BeyondNight on Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:37, edited 1 time in total.

Mako
General

Re: The Commonwealth Changes thread

Postby Mako » Wed 24 Dec 2014 01:57

With things like the Tung-M, EOTs Hawk and Otomatic, there is no longer any reasonable explanation for why the ADATS should not be effective at multiple roles if it was IRL.
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

Zer0
Master Sergeant

Postby Zer0 » Wed 24 Dec 2014 02:02

ADATS should really be able to at least hit something, with that aside:
- Cougar ~ 25pts of worthlessness
- Highlander 75 ~ The equally expensive but crappier Airborne 75
- Highlander 90 ~ The equally expensive but crappier Legion 90

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Wed 24 Dec 2014 03:18

Would also like to add that i think the Cheiftan line could use a price reduction, its outperformed by quite a few tanks in the lines respective price ranges.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Wed 24 Dec 2014 03:44

All I want is a buff for the chieftains :(

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:00

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-146.html
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/adats.htm

Both say the ADATS was mounted on the M11A2.

Definitely wouldn't be against an accuracy buff though.
Last edited by Mike on Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:06, edited 1 time in total.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Zer0
Master Sergeant

Postby Zer0 » Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:06

Mike wrote:http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-146.html
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/adats.htm

Both say the ADATS was mounted on the M11A2.

I think the government of Canada would have a better idea of what they bought (Gc.ca)

keebs63
Brigadier

Postby keebs63 » Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:14

Thought this was buff Commonwealth not buff ADATS?
"arguing on the internet is like being in the special olympics, even if you win, you're still retarted" -Someone, somewhere in Wargame Chat 2015

BeyondNight
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby BeyondNight » Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:17

keebs63 wrote:Thought this was buff Commonwealth not buff ADATS?

I added the document on the original post and it had a lot of info, but mainly id like to see the Starburst in the commonwealth, hence why it was the first subject of my post, ADATS just seems to be a hot topic ATM.

And not Buff so much as 'Change' or "Alter" the commonwealth to make it more interesting, and as i said, i know a lot about canadian equipment, im hoping some of the ANZAC and UK folks can add a lot to this discussion that i wouldn't be able to.
Last edited by BeyondNight on Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:20, edited 2 times in total.

Zer0
Master Sergeant

Postby Zer0 » Wed 24 Dec 2014 04:18

It's because ADATS is really that bad, even though it shouldn't be.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”