Different sounds for team pings and stuff.

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Different sounds for team pings and stuff.

Postby f4llout » Wed 21 Jan 2015 20:24

I truly do not understand, why all pings (attack, defense, help, message) have the same sound.

Keep the current sound for messages, put intro of "ride of the Valkyrie" for attack; a clucking chicken sound for defense; and SOS beeps for help. Obviously the sounds can be debated, just make them different.
Spoiler : my ping-sound wish-list :
1st two seconds of this for ATTACK - Valkyries
any excerpt for DEFEND
HELP - morse S.O.S.
random text message stays as is

Why this matters. I wan't to know directly if someone is requesting an attack (and I'm busy and can't help, thus I won't even check), whereas if I'm gonna hear an SOS, I'll understand that help is needed asap and at least check what it's about.

And don't tell me this would be hard to implement, even if only two people are working on WRD ...

TL:DR
- team pings shouldn't all have the same sound. Post some sound ideas.
- less visually obstructive map-ping-markers. Fellow comrades in arms, what would you rather see? Any suggestions?

dream wishlist
- ability to mute pings from specific players
- ability to hide pings from specific players and or clear pings button

Edited: Added suggestion from other poster for less obtrusive map marking.
Last edited by f4llout on Mon 26 Jan 2015 10:55, edited 4 times in total.

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Re: Different sounds for team pings.

Postby f4llout » Fri 23 Jan 2015 23:48

77 views and not even one +1?

How is this not a no-brainer improvement in a 2014 RTS game with no VOiP. I understand some always play with friends, but some of us don't. Knowing directly from sound what another is pinging about, instead of jumping to other side of map, would instantly improve the abysmally crappy options for team-communication in this game.

Cross88
Master Sergeant

Postby Cross88 » Sat 24 Jan 2015 00:02

My suggestion for beacons: Don't let them block me from selecting units underneath them. Troll players will fill the starting area with pings, making it tough to click on anything.

fatfluffycat
Major

Postby fatfluffycat » Sat 24 Jan 2015 00:05

+1

But there's still people who spam "HELP" just for very minor things.
How is possible? / Thread of the Year 2015

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Postby f4llout » Sat 24 Jan 2015 00:18

Cross88 wrote:My suggestion for beacons: Don't let them block me from selecting units underneath them. Troll players will fill the starting area with pings, making it tough to click on anything.

+1

fatfluffycat wrote:+1
But there's still people who spam "HELP" just for very minor things.

True, but it can't be avoided. It takes time before you develop a sense for this game. People coming from faster paced RTS have to grasp the concept about long term planning, recon ... far more strategic than spastic tactical games (SC2, CoH, etc).

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Different sounds for team pings and stuff.

Postby another505 » Sat 24 Jan 2015 00:59

Heres your plus 1
Of Salt

Hollywood Myth
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Hollywood Myth » Sat 24 Jan 2015 01:16

Cross88 wrote:My suggestion for beacons: Don't let them block me from selecting units underneath them. Pro players will fill the starting area with pings, making it tough to click on anything.

fixed that for you

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Postby f4llout » Sat 24 Jan 2015 01:40

Hollywood Myth wrote:
Cross88 wrote:My suggestion for beacons: Don't let them block me from selecting units underneath them. Pro players will fill the starting area with pings, making it tough to click on anything.

fixed that for you

Unless you're on skype its hard to communicate ... in a strategically oriented RTS without VOiP, or anything besides obstrusive pings. And even if they're obtrusive, you can be happy if people actually tell you what they will do.

Remember good old WEE SatView - how cool would it be, if you could write strategy there ... like a fullscreen team minimap to draw some arrows and state your intentions.

Even with herculian effort I fail to grasp this attitude from Eugen. On the one hand you make this epic/grand/1ofakind RTS, yet you don't include VOiP; you cut out satview instead of expanding its functionality; i can cycle units forward with hotkey, yet there's none for going back if I overshoot; how hard is it to enable modifier buttons (shift, ctrl,...) for hotkey assignment in a 2014 game; maybe holding shift to visually show current orders (movement, attack, etc)?. No other game has ever had it yet, right?; or having same sound for 4 different messages as ranted in first post; ...

I truly commend Eugen for making this jewel, but Christ, I cannot see any reason for having this restricted UI.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Sat 24 Jan 2015 01:44

I like this, sadly you know EUGEN isn't going to use it. Too much work or whatever.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Postby f4llout » Sat 24 Jan 2015 01:57

Fade2Gray wrote:I like this, sadly you know EUGEN isn't going to use it. Too much work or whatever.

And that bewilders me even more. I get it, UI changes or functioning VOiP may be extensive to implement; not going to happen for WRD. But friggin' swapping out 3 sound files ... what kind of voodoo-mystique-Beelzebub-code do they have, if it would take more than a day?

I do not want to sound impolite, but what does it show about Eugen in general? I'd even be happy if MadMat gave some valid arguments why it is too hard to implement, instead of blatant ignorance. Show us a cost estimate; maybe we'll understand OR crowdfund you the development. Easy money for gods sake. It's not like almost all other developers are using micro-transaction model nowadays. As long as it is worth, I don't have a problem with it.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”