Helicopters

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Re: Helicopters

Postby Mister Maf » Fri 30 Jan 2015 09:05

What would be really nice is if the "Land" command for helicopters weren't an instantaneous thing but rather a destination selection, like fast-move. When you select it, you give a destination order, to which the helicopter will fly and, as it approaches the destination, begin its descent as it moves so that it can smoothly touch down (like in the Huey video I linked) without wasting undue time stabilizing directly over the deployment zone and then descending straight down. Slowly.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Fri 30 Jan 2015 09:07

Mister Maf wrote:What would be really nice is if the "Land" command for helicopters weren't an instantaneous thing but rather a destination selection, like fast-move. When you select it, you give a destination order, to which the helicopter will fly and, as it approaches the destination, begin its descent as it moves so that it can smoothly touch down (like in the Huey video I linked) without wasting undue time stabilizing directly over the deployment zone and then descending straight down. Slowly.

That's how it should be, but it'd probably require flight model reworks and maybe even AI reworks so the AI can determine the correct pathing.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Suriel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Suriel » Fri 30 Jan 2015 09:28

Last time, mass was lowered? Perhaps it could be done even further. However, to be honest I'd rather have helis fly by default on low altitude.

LTSarcasm
Command Sergeant Major

Postby LTSarcasm » Fri 30 Jan 2015 09:43

Normally landing isn't that bad if timed right, but the Chinook is a factory of sadness. 24 Heures du Landing is in full effect. I've been unlucky and had a jet spawn after I click land in Chinook, and knock it out before it lands. Its that slow.

Leviathan
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Leviathan » Fri 30 Jan 2015 10:03

LTSarcasm wrote:Normally landing isn't that bad if timed right, but the Chinook is a factory of sadness. 24 Heures du Landing is in full effect. I've been unlucky and had a jet spawn after I click land in Chinook, and knock it out before it lands. Its that slow.
Is big helicopter, non? And it hasn't got a ramp to quickly deploy infantry as well...not at all.

Spoiler : :

Landing helos might work okey-ish in most times (at least compared to early EE times when it tookl hours) but you forgot helos "bouncing" off the ground before touch down to repeat the painful process all over again. Seems to happen a lot recently. At least to mee. Helos might hate me. Dunno. A very satisfying state if you keep the hordes of Mi-24V or Mistral carriers coming close to chew parts off my poor transports...

BTW fast roping in Wargame would be nonsense.

EInarial
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby EInarial » Fri 30 Jan 2015 10:08

I think shift-queuing the land command works a little bit? they tend to know where they're meant to land and slow beforehand? or am I just imagining that?

Suriel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Suriel » Fri 30 Jan 2015 11:00

EInarial wrote:I think shift-queuing the land command works a little bit? they tend to know where they're meant to land and slow beforehand? or am I just imagining that?

I believe so. I always use it though, so hard to say exactly. I think that shift click makes heli slow down before reaching the location.

Elitehamster
Sergeant

Postby Elitehamster » Fri 30 Jan 2015 12:48

EInarial wrote:I think shift-queuing the land command works a little bit? they tend to know where they're meant to land and slow beforehand? or am I just imagining that?

Suriel wrote:

I believe so. I always use it though, so hard to say exactly. I think that shift click makes heli slow down before reaching the location.

Helicopters slow down before reaching their targeted location, landing or no because otherwise they'd overshoot their target :P

But shift clicking queues the commands. So a helicopter will fly somewhere, stop and stabilize, pause->queued land command gets enacted. With what Mister Maf suggested this would be integrated in one thing (so the helicopter will begin slowing and descending at the same time and won't waste time pausing between commands) But I doubt such a thing could be integrated

VioA
Staff Sergeant

Postby VioA » Fri 30 Jan 2015 13:41

orcbuster wrote:what was it called again?

Ah yes

XD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

triarii
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby triarii » Fri 30 Jan 2015 16:00

Mister Maf wrote:What would be really nice is if the "Land" command for helicopters weren't an instantaneous thing but rather a destination selection, like fast-move. When you select it, you give a destination order, to which the helicopter will fly and, as it approaches the destination, begin its descent as it moves so that it can smoothly touch down (like in the Huey video I linked) without wasting undue time stabilizing directly over the deployment zone and then descending straight down. Slowly.

this is what we need.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”