Shock Recon: and their imminent changes.

captaincarnage
Major

Re: Shock Recon: and their imminent changes.

Postby captaincarnage » Mon 2 Feb 2015 00:33

Recon infantry, infantry, not supermen and with reduced availability to boot.

They're fine as they are and the shock infantry recon don't have CQC machine guns. If they're causing a gameplay problem for you I would love to see the replay.
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Postby f4llout » Mon 2 Feb 2015 00:40

No. 5man makes them utterly useless (as all 5man recon squads before patch). It also depends what game you're playing. Low points/1v1? Sure, 5man can work. Anything above 3v3 means an abundance of threats which can easily wipe them and they come in four per card ... not really abundance.

I would definitely support buffing regular recon units to 15man, to make them a defensive infantry spotter. Hardly anybody uses them anyway (unless you're forced by deck).

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Mon 2 Feb 2015 01:12

There is no need for any over all change of the recon section as the main problem in it just got fixed and now all types of recon are usefull. Militia and Regular Recon units are great due to their low cost. They are the cheapest way you can get Very Good optics and you get get a lot of them. They are not very good at combat, but neither are Recon Jeeps that cost twice that of Militia Recon with a transport. 10-man Shock/Elite Recon are also fine in general as while they can fight so is it a bad idea to waste the few you get in front line combat as your regular Infantry will have a hard time doing the recon job. But they have to be able to fight decently as that is what you get for your extra cost and less availability over Milita/Regular Recon. This was a problem earlier as the 5-man Shock Recon wasn't worth using as they couldn't fight well enough to warrant the downsides. 2-man sniper teams on the other hand are also bad in combat, like the Milita/Regular one, but they are masters of skulking around and that is what you get them for.

So all the diffrent Recon units have their advantages and all is well.

wargamer1985
Brigadier

Postby wargamer1985 » Mon 2 Feb 2015 06:27

They already have the problem of getting a 50% availibility slash, on top of this they are generally not as well equipped as their non-recon counter-parts. And for countries like USA, this is their only 20 point shock infantry, and finally they are semi-useful.
APPLY TO THE GLORIOUS CULT OF THE WARHAWK! LIBERATING NAZIS SINCE 1939!

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Mon 2 Feb 2015 07:15

First let me get my Czechoslovak bias out of the way...

Why should the USSR keep their GRU when CSSR has no elite infantry at all aside from their recon tab? :|

Back on topic:
As it has said before availability makes SF recon price realistic. You lose a a pair of teams to a bomb or mortars you are out half a card of recon. That is valuable deck space that could have spent elsewhere. I only use SF recon in a combat role in my CSSR deck and I have 3 cards of SF recon in order to make that realistic. I also have all 5 cards filled with recon.

MILINTarctrooper
Major

Postby MILINTarctrooper » Mon 2 Feb 2015 07:52

CornProducts wrote:First let me get my Czechoslovak bias out of the way...

Why should the USSR keep their GRU when CSSR has no elite infantry at all aside from their recon tab? :|

Back on topic:
As it has said before availability makes SF recon price realistic. You lose a a pair of teams to a bomb or mortars you are out half a card of recon. That is valuable deck space that could have spent elsewhere. I only use SF recon in a combat role in my CSSR deck and I have 3 cards of SF recon in order to make that realistic. I also have all 5 cards filled with recon.

Sorry about that Cornproducts.

I am a DDR player so I am used to having a massive selection recon options. And some of them with good availability capacity.

Our only SF Recon is the Kampfschwimmer...and its an infilitrator. We fall back on KommandoAuks, and the currently gimped Grenzers. [ both of which in ALB we had alot of cards of.]

I thought you had the Prumokoci...which is a good all rounder. Sniper/RPG/AK. And it has good numbers.

Recon isn't supposed to be used together. Unless you really are going for the kill or a raid. I spread mine out. And have learned to pull off the swarm...slowly maneuvering recon infantry around the battlezone to make them harder targets to hit. But Regulars and Militia are slow so you can correct fire on them easily.

I think at basic...all nations should have 3 recon infantry options. Like DDR and FRG. The US now has that option. Alot of other nations, suffer from this issue. Of only have 2 if not one Recon infantry unit. [Due Coalition considerations...hence why RD is gimped with Recon infantry. Out of BD Japan is the only faction with only Recon infantry outside of Scandi coalition.]
52.2% 1v1 Ranked 32.2% Multi since Open Beta.

APSinc
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby APSinc » Mon 2 Feb 2015 08:24

Milint, you're suggestions about 5 men sf would make sense if infantry in this game behaved like actual infantry, instead of cardboard units than can climb mountains and occupy buildings.

But because infantry doesn't work like it should (though admittedly on this scale I'm not sure how we'd do that anyways), the 5 man change is a poorly thought out one, since the primary difference between sf and other infantry in this game is their weapon accuracy and veterancy availability.

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby codextero » Mon 2 Feb 2015 09:41

CornProducts wrote:First let me get my Czechoslovak bias out of the way...

Back on topic:

Because Germans and Poles do, end of story.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”