RPK-74

wingen013
Sergeant First-Class

RPK-74

Postby wingen013 » Tue 3 Feb 2015 09:21

So why do these have a lower rate of fire than older RPKs? I did some reading and it seems that it was a fairly incremental upgrade that featured a faster rate of fire. Just curious as to what the justification is. Was it a doctrinal change?
there is a misspelling my username should be wingren013

The idea that all men are created equal is the greatest invention in human history, tied with the Apache Helicopter.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: RPK-74

Postby another505 » Tue 3 Feb 2015 09:23

Is eugen mistake

I hope
Of Salt

Hollywood Myth
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Hollywood Myth » Tue 3 Feb 2015 10:23

Well if you ask MadMat it's totally intentional and 100% working as designed.

Nikrib
Sergeant Major

Postby Nikrib » Tue 3 Feb 2015 10:23

Eugen made a mistake and refuses to admit it. As always.

CornProducts
Colonel

Postby CornProducts » Tue 3 Feb 2015 10:29

another505 wrote:Is eugen mistake

I hope

They'll get it eventually...

Maybe... :?

trineroks
Chief Warrant Officer

The case for RPK-74/RPK ROF fixes

Postby trineroks » Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:11

First off, I am aware that there exists an RPK thread, but I wanted to create a new one to discuss gameplay ramifications of modifying these MG ROF. I also have a lot of images to show.

The RPK-74 is currently comparable to the Delta's M60E3, and it's on Soviet infantry, modern NSWP marines, and modern NSWP airborne (on some as LADA RPK).

Why in the world is this flavor? You see plenty of BLU infantry upgrading to the Minimi along with a Carl Gustav/Eryx/LAW-80. Before DLC3 REDFOR infantry was in a terrible state, but now it's divisive in that the upgrade to a modern infantry unit entails severely decreased performance in anti-infantry aspect.

Here we'll be looking at high end MGs. Also please take note of the infantry that upgrade to modernity (notice how Eastern Bloc suffers in this regard due to MG quality going from Minimi-level to M60E3-level).

USA
Spoiler : US Marines :

Spoiler : Navy SEALS :

Spoiler : Rangers :

Eurocorps
Spoiler : Legion :

Spoiler : RIMa :

The rest of the non-French infantry with MGs are armed with MG3/I.MG3.

Scandinavia
Spoiler : Scandinavian MGs :
Scandinavia is a coalition in which all infantry MGs are either the Minimi or the MG3/I.MG3. The only exception is the MG carried by Swedish infantry:

Commonwealth
Spoiler : Canadian Airborne :

Spoiler : Canadian Rifles :

Spoiler : Commandos :

Spoiler : Diggers :

Spoiler : Fusiliers :

Fusiliers '90 is probably the only "downgraded" MG for BLUFOR, but their overall performance is very similar (318 to 340) and they get one of the best LAWs in the game.
Spoiler : Gurkhas :

Spoiler : Highlanders :

Spoiler : Paratroopers :

Spoiler : Royal Marines :

Blue Dragons
Spoiler : Haebyung :

Spoiler : Kutei :

Spoiler : Teukjeonsa :

Red Dragons
Spoiler : Jeogockdae :

Spoiler : Li Jian :

Spoiler : Lu Zhandui :

Spoiler : Yuckjeondae :

Spoiler : Lie Ren :

USSR
The Soviet Union uses the RPK-74 for VDV, Morskaya Pekhota, and Spetsnaz. The only anti infantry unit in this deck is Spetsnaz.

Eastern Bloc
Here is where the current RPK/RPK-74 balance hurts the most - Eastern Bloc.
Spoiler : Mot.-Schutzen :

Spoiler : Niebieskie Berety :

Spoiler : Spadochroniarze :

Spoiler : Vysadkari :

Spoiler : Specialni Jednotky :

In all these cases, the Eastern Bloc player is forced to select one or the other - better anti-tank, or better anti-infantry? Now let's consider the RPK balance WAS reversed. What units would that affect?

The following:
Spoiler : Komandosi :

Spoiler : Lehka Pechota :

Spoiler : Wachregiment :

Spoiler : Formoza :

The Type-81 should be kept as is.

The current RPK situation hurts the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc. The Soviet Union, which has no decent MG over 300 ROF and the Eastern Bloc, which forces the player to split between better infantry performance or better anti tank performance.

Can this seriously get a look over?
Last edited by [EUG]MadMat on Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged.

FLX
Lieutenant General

Postby FLX » Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:20

wingen013 wrote:So why do these have a lower rate of fire than older RPKs? I did some reading and it seems that it was a fairly incremental upgrade that featured a faster rate of fire. Just curious as to what the justification is. Was it a doctrinal change?

Because when you have to change your drum magasine every 75 rounds your average RoF is lower than when you carry boxes of 200 rounds.

(And be happy that I didn't consider it's using the 45 rounds mag)
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

Elitehamster
Sergeant

Postby Elitehamster » Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:31

FLX wrote:
wingen013 wrote:So why do these have a lower rate of fire than older RPKs? I did some reading and it seems that it was a fairly incremental upgrade that featured a faster rate of fire. Just curious as to what the justification is. Was it a doctrinal change?

Because when you have to change your drum magasine every 75 rounds your average RoF is lower than when you carry boxes of 200 rounds.

The RPK had 200 round magazines? And the type 81 has 75 round magazines as far as I can determine and a slightly higher RoF (700 vs 650 for the 74 or the 60 for the RPK) yet in game it has a much higher RoF and almost matches the belt-fed minimi. If this is the reason then it is not applied across all LMGs

But perhaps another solution would be to up the range or accuracy of the RPK 74 due to it's high velocity? Because right now the RPK 74 is a straight up downgrade, with the only differences being less suppression and massively lower RoF.

KillaKow
Master Sergeant

Postby KillaKow » Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:32

FLX wrote:

Wait what? AFAIK the RPK didn't have a 200 round box mag, only the 75 round drum.

And the 74 only produced drums in limited numbers, and was almost always used with the 45 round clip.

Unless you're saying that in justification of the RPK performance compared to other, belt fed MGs. But if so why's the normal RPK rate up there with other belt feds? Not to mention the type 81 and the RPD.
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Well it is a problem because you're too late.

RD forums in a nutshell.

Leviathan
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Leviathan » Tue 3 Feb 2015 11:41

Just stop complaining about MG balance already. Please. I can't bear it anymore. MGs are unbalanced. All right. That is weird. Maybe faulty. But it's NOT game braking.

The point has been made, multiple times. The issue is known, marshals know about it, too. Minor adjustments already being made. FINAL PATCH STILL TO COME.

With just-another-balance-thread you wont raise awareness. The only thing you'll achieve is that Eugen might ignore this issue at all 'cause the level of complaint is starting to be annoying. Or I'll spam every freaking balnce this/that topic with FLAVOUR and ASYMMETRICAL BAAALAAANCE and BECAUSE OF HONHONHON and FRENCH BIAS or GERMAN MG3 UBERMENSCHEN.

I don't bear a grudge against any post being made but generally I'd really love to see the level of uncontent in these forums lowered to a more bearable point. Tension's been rising steadily.

I might be put to the sword when saying that, screw naval but I still prefer RD to it's predecessors and I really enjoy playing it. RED and BLUE alike. Even NK that is apparently only here for masochistic experiences if you'll follow this forum. Sure, lots of short-comings and a ton of improvements to be made. Light years of space for improvement. But I still trust Eugen that they have heard the message.They're already fed up. Don't hate me for that :lol:

C'mon it's getting old. Just my 5 cents. Cheers!

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”