On Norad

LTSarcasm
Command Sergeant Major

On Norad

Postby LTSarcasm » Wed 11 Feb 2015 03:15

Prior to today's patch, a number of US players were excited for NORAD coming as it appears to fill a great many of the US' holes. Now while the infantry bonus is great, odd Candian specializations undermine this quite a lot.

USMC players rejoiced at the possibility of F-18 ASF, and a fast, amphibian AA vehicle with the Wolverine. In fact, almost nothing Canadian is available in marines, including the only North American infantry ATGM with the Eryx team.

Armored gets to benefit from Leo C2 as a better cheaper-end tank, but despite Armor needing strong mobile AA the most ADATS is nowhere to be seen. Neither are most Canadian ATGM vehicles, Armor not getting ADATS is as odd as Armor (Previously) not getting Calvary Scouts, except the ADATS is somewhat useful.

And because Norad gets zero bonuses as a coalition, if many spec decks aren't materially better why would someone play Norad when they could just run US spec deck or Mixed unspec? After all, mixed unspec would just take away 5 points of less valuable units, and US spec is often exactly the same units with bonuses to avail and deployment points.

Seriously, even if the prototype bug didn't happen, in its current state NORAD is just about useless.

Mosquevan
Sergeant Major

Re: On Norad

Postby Mosquevan » Wed 11 Feb 2015 03:38

LTSarcasm wrote:Prior to today's patch, a number of US players were excited for NORAD

And they were naive, as Canada is a bad nation and adds little. eugen buff canada

USMC players rejoiced at the possibility of F-18 ASF, and a fast, amphibian AA vehicle with the Wolverine. In fact, almost nothing Canadian is available in marines, including the only North American infantry ATGM with the Eryx team.

This is because Canada has no marine corps. not a subliminal message at all

Seriously, even if the prototype bug didn't happen, in its current state NORAD is just about useless.

So is Canada. pls buff canada eugen
pls
Friendly Wargaming Kebab

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Wed 11 Feb 2015 03:42

Seems okay to me.

LTSarcasm
Command Sergeant Major

Postby LTSarcasm » Wed 11 Feb 2015 03:46

JBravo wrote:Seems okay to me.

In regards to this, how? What does Norad give in spec decks versus US? Almost nothing as USMC players are learning the hard way. And if going Unspec, it's only 5 points away from just going Blufor minmaxing. Totally getting rid of Nationality bonuses while restricting so much in spec decks makes the current Norad implementation almost worthless.

Solo
Brigadier

Postby Solo » Wed 11 Feb 2015 03:49

Norad is only worthwhile in Motorized configuration right now.

Custer85
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Custer85 » Wed 11 Feb 2015 04:02

NORAD is weaker then the US alone for almost every deck type, except for motorized maybe. Those 5 more activation points for the US are just too good to pass for some rather medicore canadian units.

rex88
Lieutenant
Location: Land of Iced Cappuccino. Why buy a mattress anywhere else?

Postby rex88 » Wed 11 Feb 2015 04:23

Right now I haven't put in any prototypes yet in my NORAD deck. When the fix comes I will remake the deck and see how it is. I know that once Recce, Longbow, or Leo1 no longer bugs out in the deck, it will get better.

NORAD support could be interesting if you make room for the ADATS and put in a extra pair of FOBs.

Canadian infantry in game however isn't all that great; a buff to what the country is supposed to be good at wouldn't hurt at all.
Thanks to kiheerSEDMAN for making this signature.

codextero
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby codextero » Wed 11 Feb 2015 05:05

Both Norad and the USSR/Nork combo don't seem all too worth it right now.

the loss of AP and % avalibity is not made up by the rather limited amount of units added to the roster. This is particularly true with the USSR deck, as they have almost every deck role filled to being with, the Korean additions are at best marginally better, sometimes sidegrades, and mostly useless.

Not even close to Eurocorps power anyways, and probably still a good bit behind Commonwealth.

Werewolf
Sergeant Major

Postby Werewolf » Wed 11 Feb 2015 05:24

Right now, my NORAD deck is just my U.S.A. deck with Recce, Iltis Recon, ADATS, and no Warthogs. Haven't decided if it's worth it or not yet.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 11 Feb 2015 05:34

It'd be a whole lot better if they buffed the ADATS (please Eugen I beg on my knees) and added some units to the Marine spec, but I quite like the setup. The American infantry situation was dire even with the buffs, but now Canadian Airborne fill in the gap for potent cross-specialization mobile shock troops, and that's an automatic win for me. Canadian Rifles are also more cost-effective for urban combat than American Rifles with the C6 and battle rifle (the M72 obviously being much poorer than the AT4, but what do you want for 10 points?). The Chimera, while not exactly the pinnacle of cost efficiency, adds a pretty potent unit for just 1 point in the vehicle tab.

Now if they would only fix the coalitions bug (and buff the ADATS!!!), we could see in practice how effective it is.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”