On Soviet-Korea Alliance

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

On Soviet-Korea Alliance

Postby frostypooky » Wed 11 Feb 2015 07:44

Because of the bug, we are still only at the theorycrafting stage, but....

As predicted, the only deck that really utilizes NK to great effect is motorized. Messing around,most of the time my infantry section came to majority NK, had Type 63 cards in recon (with buff to 20 points it's even more difficult to pass), had the option of howitzer (though terrible, the range could be situationally useful), and of course B-5 replacing the typical Il-102/Su-24 pick. Interestingly, Chonma-ho IV is actually your heaviest tank, and I decided to take a card to test as an "emergency" (if crappy) med. If the presumed buffs for T-55/T-62 lines pan out well, this may be a card worth keeping.

Other than motorized:

Mech, armored, and support.somewhat justify NK, variously giving you 30p bochongsu+strelavan (or reservist/20p bochongsu+btr60p in support), extra T-72bu, and/or more fobs.

Marine technically benefit greatly from NK, but even with RD Marine/SKA Marine, Marine decks are poopy on REDFOR unless youre cheesing up some mixed map. RD Marine is 1000% the way to go.

Airborne really only gives you a B-5 and F-5 rocket as worthwhile card picks (F-5 may do shite damage to anything with more than 1 armor but it is a 40 point damage soak that reloads VERY quickly and can still wipe out infantry or make a usually-lethal run at lightly armored ADN units like Hawks), and a few dubious cards of NK infantry limited to MI-4 and base Mi-8 as well as some okay vehicle alternatives in recon.

NK is 99% worthless in unspec.

Thoughts without having played it? Short of DLC 4 - Zhong-Jo Advanced Armaments Mobilization Authorization, bringing 10 new units to NK and China, NK doesn't really make up for the 10% avail/5AP loss in anything besides moto. Heck, the coalition doesn't really do too much for NK either compared to just sticking with RD, where there is slightly more synergy. Thus, in shitpost fashion, I will recommend SKA retain 10% USSR avail bonus without even having played it- the 5 AP loss already stings enough when I'm trying to fit the more spammy NK units without the 20%/40% bonus you usually get them at.
Last edited by frostypooky on Wed 11 Feb 2015 08:09, edited 1 time in total.

wingen013
Sergeant First-Class

Re: On Soviet-Korea Alliance

Postby wingen013 » Wed 11 Feb 2015 07:52

I've been playing it most of the day. Those Yuckjeondae are real infantry shredders with their carbines and have pretty good AT capabilities. I also think the chonma-ho is undervalued, that 18ap is no joke and it is nasty at short ranges. Would be nice to get a price buff or maybe a size reduction. The mi-25 is a nice discount gunship that can deal with infantry and light vehicles. I still wish it was china+ussr but that was never going to happen.
there is a misspelling my username should be wingren013

The idea that all men are created equal is the greatest invention in human history, tied with the Apache Helicopter.

rex88
Lieutenant
Location: Land of Iced Cappuccino. Why buy a mattress anywhere else?

Postby rex88 » Wed 11 Feb 2015 07:59

On large maps, support deck or mech deck may be quiet interesting. You can now take lots of engineers for town denials for example, and yet at the same time fortify another flank with decent armor.
Thanks to kiheerSEDMAN for making this signature.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Wed 11 Feb 2015 08:05

wingen013 wrote:I've been playing it most of the day. Those Yuckjeondae are real infantry shredders with their carbines and have pretty good AT capabilities. I also think the chonma-ho is undervalued, that 18ap is no joke and it is nasty at short ranges. Would be nice to get a price buff or maybe a size reduction. The mi-25 is a nice discount gunship that can deal with infantry and light vehicles. I still wish it was china+ussr but that was never going to happen.

The chonma ho can be situationally useful with micro and some luck, but that's not very good criteria in this meta. It needs a middle ground between what it is now and what is was when it was at its best. I would say 50-55% accuracy for the price would be justified.

As far as YJD, they are relatively versatile for the price but will get pooped on by Blufor minmax squads of choice outside of CQC, so you have to be careful about who you let them engage in forests.

KittyKitsune
Captain

Postby KittyKitsune » Wed 11 Feb 2015 08:23

Apart from a few infantry units, the only thing north korea adds to the USSR, is more FOBS, so that you can spam Smerches more.

As far as i am concerned this new coalition does nothing bu encourage artillery decks.
SUFNEP - Superior Unit For No Extra Points
WUWME - Worse Unit While More Expensive

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Wed 11 Feb 2015 08:23

I find armored deck is just basically my ussr armored deck with another card of t90 eager to arrive to the rhine seoul and b-5 for mini nukes
Of Salt

f4llout
Warrant Officer

Postby f4llout » Wed 11 Feb 2015 10:26

New coalitions are just a smoke screen due to absence of maps.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Wed 11 Feb 2015 10:35

f4llout wrote:New coalitions are just a smoke screen due to absence of maps.

you done spamming this on every other topic?
Last edited by frostypooky on Wed 11 Feb 2015 10:39, edited 2 times in total.

KillaKow
Master Sergeant

Postby KillaKow » Wed 11 Feb 2015 10:39

frostypooky wrote:
f4llout wrote:New coalitions are just a smoke screen due to absence of maps.

you done spamming this on every other topic?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sweedish_Gunner wrote:Well it is a problem because you're too late.

RD forums in a nutshell.

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Wed 11 Feb 2015 11:09

I love NK 15man reservist.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”