MGs standardisation :

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Re: MGs standardisation :

Postby frostypooky » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:31

Znail wrote:
Killertomato wrote:It's not just the bipod, it's the capacity for sustained automatic fire.

A MG doesn't have more sustained automatic fire then 10 assault rifles. More then one for sure. 2 assault rifles and it's pretty even with an MG, mostly an advantage for the MG if it got more ammo. MGs can swap barrels to cool down, but then mutiple rifles have a barrel each.

wow

everyone from the USMC to the Russian VDV must be lining up to hear your revolutionary new theories on how the MG is just an overrated part of the infantry squad.
Last edited by frostypooky on Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:34, edited 2 times in total.

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:33

frostypooky wrote:wow

everyone from the USMC to the Russian VDV must be lining up to hear your revolutionary new theories on how the MG is just an overrated part of the infantry squad.

I am sure they are just as interested in hearing that if they gave everyone MGs so could they kill 10 times their own number without trouble.

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:36

Znail wrote:

I am sure they are just as interested in hearing that if they gave everyone MGs so could they kill 10 times their own number without trouble.

or it could be that the machine gunner puts out FAR more effective and sustained fire than the maneuvering elements of a fireteam, and wargame is fairly abstracting it by making the MG the kinetic focal point of an infantry squad.

could be

Dennos
Sergeant Major

Postby Dennos » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:44

Soviets and Americans had 2 MGs per squad (not sure about BTR squads).

Hollywood Myth
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Hollywood Myth » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:46

If we want to be realistic, the machine gunner should be responsible for most of the squad's DPS at long range, with the specific percentage rapidly decreasing as range decreases.

Znail
Lieutenant

Postby Znail » Fri 13 Feb 2015 02:58

Dennos wrote:Soviets and Americans had 2 MGs per squad (not sure about BTR squads).

That works for me. I don't know of any specfic example of less then 2 MGs, so I guess we can just assume that there are two MGs in each squad and that is why they do a major part of the damage.

Dennos
Sergeant Major

Postby Dennos » Fri 13 Feb 2015 03:25

Germany had 1 MG 3 afaik

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Fri 13 Feb 2015 03:42

Killertomato wrote:It's not just the bipod, it's the capacity for sustained automatic fire.

A study by the MCOTE, and 2-7 Battalion combat tested it and found that, sustain fire from an unreliable inaccurate weapon system such as an M-249 looses out on suppressive capabilities vs veteran soldiers IRL, while green soldiers will get suppressed by anything.

That veteran soldiers are easier to suppress threw accurate fire, the real threat of death... suppresses.

I'm expecting to see people undermined a 7 year study with combat test that had positive results because "Gau-8 are cool" but the truth is, there isn't a damn reason to pretend that the IAR concept is worst than the LMG one.

Not to mention, typically they still do have weapons squads with MG.
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Fri 13 Feb 2015 03:53

frostypooky wrote:
Znail wrote:

or it could be that the machine gunner puts out FAR more effective and sustained fire than the maneuvering elements of a fireteam, and wargame is fairly abstracting it by making the MG the kinetic focal point of an infantry squad.

could be

What are these videos supposed to prove? The first one especially shows mostly just guys taking unaimed pot shots at an enemy at extreme range away. There's even a comment about how they don't even know where the enemy is. These videos are horrible for how infantry firefights in Wargame tend to be at rather brutal close range.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

FoxZz
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby FoxZz » Fri 13 Feb 2015 03:54

The IAR is an LMG in the wargame context, similar to the RPK-74.

Anyway, the point of this topic isn't the importange of the MG (which deals a lot of dammage in a squad), but the standardisation of mgs in Wargame red dragon on the basis of what I proposed in the OP, based itself on previous works.
Last edited by FoxZz on Fri 13 Feb 2015 03:57, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”