KOBRA..... or should I say KOBRA's... Fixing Soviet GLATGM's

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: KOBRA..... or should I say KOBRA's... Fixing Soviet GLATGM's

Postby Tiera » Thu 22 Sep 2016 18:57

R3d Sh4mbala wrote:I would think it must be a must, since Redfor tanks have been taking a beating in almost every category. Whole tanks lines are left out of game, just because their effectiveness even with armored elite status is so horrific.

Well, generally all mediums aside Leopard 1s fit this description all too well - hopefully the Israeli DLC will redeem the Bluefor M60s while providing some new goodies for T-55s as well.
T-62s can snuff it, but should at least be priced according their in-game performance.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Thu 22 Sep 2016 19:48

Tiera wrote:
R3d Sh4mbala wrote:I would think it must be a must, since Redfor tanks have been taking a beating in almost every category. Whole tanks lines are left out of game, just because their effectiveness even with armored elite status is so horrific.

Well, generally all mediums aside Leopard 1s fit this description all too well - hopefully the Israeli DLC will redeem the Bluefor M60s while providing some new goodies for T-55s as well.
T-62s can snuff it, but should at least be priced according their in-game performance.

One could at least hope that the USSR can at least do tanks in the medium to heavy realm. I'm hoping to see T-55 and T-62 improvement and consolidation in the 25-50 point range and to see some long needed stat revisions in the 64/72/80 lines, possibly that will allow for some more flexibility in the T-64 and other lines (I really want to see the T-64 duplex expanded to T-64B1 and T-64B1M and would sacrifice any number of T-62s to achieve this :lol: )

There's nothing more Soviet than a good duplex.
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

Azaz3l
Brigadier

Postby Azaz3l » Thu 22 Sep 2016 20:07

Imo the only way to make T-62s viable are massive price drops for early 62s until T-62M, that way they could be seen as cheap infantry support vehicles.
As for T-62M and onwards, they easily deserve the same accuracy on both gun and missile as T-72B, since their FCS features were totally comparable. 4 HE on the gun could be justified as well with the introduction of the new HE shell with RDX filler (3OF27) which had comparable performance with 125mm HE shells (as in 3,13kg HE content for 3OF27 and 3,4kg HE content for 3OF26 125mm).

Spoiler : :

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Thu 22 Sep 2016 20:35

Azaz3l wrote:Imo the only way to make T-62s viable are massive price drops for early 62s until T-62M, that way they could be seen as cheap infantry support vehicles.
As for T-62M and onwards, they easily deserve the same accuracy on both gun and missile as T-72B, since their FCS features were totally comparable. 4 HE on the gun could be justified as well with the introduction of the new HE shell with RDX filler (3OF27) which had comparable performance with 125mm HE shells (as in 3,13kg HE content for 3OF27 and 3,4kg HE content for 3OF26 125mm).
Spoiler : :

They could have gotten so much more out of that gun. The upgraded T-64's could have very well exceeded the capabilities of their later compatriots if the Soviets had stuck with designing modern long rod du penetrators for the 115mm guns (providing they revised the ammo storage and turret for hand loading.) There were quite a few 115mm gun armed T-64s still in service in the 80s with upgraded FCS and armor components to the level of the later B series. That would have made for a very interesting tank, much BLYAT indeed :D

DrRansom
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DrRansom » Thu 22 Sep 2016 20:41

I like these buffs, more tanks for the tank god!

Aquila
Sergeant Major

Postby Aquila » Fri 23 Sep 2016 01:17

I agree with fixes like these simply on the basis of not seeing enough time period equipment such as T-64Bs and especially the T-80BV when there should be massive amounts of them. Again, the T-80BV especially is too rare of a sight and unsuitably absent in the current metagame.

Even with the end of mass production for earlier variants of tanks like these many tanks were upgraded overtime but as it was a lengthy process many remained on the field as is.

Ultimately huge amounts of tanks - especially of the variant T-64B1 - were to be scrapped at the end of the cold war if I remember correctly.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Fri 23 Sep 2016 02:24

As long with buffing the Kobra and it's variants a small Svir buff to 55% accuracy (60% if you're feeling frisky) would be nice.

My most played deck would probably be Soviet armoured and I usually turn off the Svir even when using veteran tanks because it just doesn't seem to hit, despite saying otherwise.

It'd help out NSWP too since they don't have any Kobras. Price nerf Svir armed tanks by 5pts if necessary.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Fri 23 Sep 2016 03:27

Sweedish_Gunner wrote:As long with buffing the Kobra and it's variants a small Svir buff to 55% accuracy (60% if you're feeling frisky) would be nice.

My most played deck would probably be Soviet armoured and I usually turn off the Svir even when using veteran tanks because it just doesn't seem to hit, despite saying otherwise.

It'd help out NSWP too since they don't have any Kobras. Price nerf Svir armed tanks by 5pts if necessary.

I'd definitely support such a change, honestly I didn't really think about it as T-64 and Kobra is my own personal bugbear (a game comes along that actually bothers to include T-64 only to let it waste away through neglect and inattention to be relegated into mediocrity!?). It's a fascinating tank and I'd love to see it and T-80B/BV used more. SVIR definitely could use attention as other things creep around it, I've definitely found the 50% accuracy suspiciously low and would love to get something that hits reliably. I have no problem paying extra points for a reliable atgm, heck it doesn't even have to be powerful as long as it hits reliably.

QUAD
Colonel

Postby QUAD » Fri 23 Sep 2016 04:00

I think that Soviets (and Americans) need better tanks in the price range of the Leopard 1 series imo. (Like a buffed T72A for instance.)
Mobile Units Operational :!:

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Fri 23 Sep 2016 04:07

QUAD wrote:I think that Soviets (and Americans) need better tanks in the price range of the Leopard 1 series imo. (Like a buffed T72A for instance.)

Definitely, I gripe about the USSR but the Americans only have M1 and M1IP to cover 50-120 points (not counting the restricted MBT-70 and Super M60).

I'm hoping for a buffed T-72A or a T-64B1 but honestly the Kobras will do a lot.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”